Bermuda Tansportation question

splashsurf

My fiance and I are sailing on RCCL from Balto. to Bermuda and getting married at Grotto Bay on 7/5/05. Does any one know how much time our guests will need to get from the Dock Yard to Grotto Bay? (next to the airport) pretty much on the other side of the island. We have looked into private transportation but it looks like that will cost more than the wedding. :confused: I would like to include a time line in our guests welcome bags. The wedding is at 6 and I hope everyone can get to Grotto Bay by 5:30. What time should I tell them to leave? What is the best way to travel... water taxi to St. George? Bus? taxi? Thanks,

Stacy

If you have lots of guests in Dockyard maybe you could look into Grotto Bay sending some transportation for you? It's just a thought, I'm not sure if Grotto Bay has a shuttle bus or not.

The wedding is on a Saturday? If so then you don't have to worry about rush hour (thankfully).

The options:

cab: probably 45 min+, cost $40+ for four people, or $50+ for 5-6 people

public transport: $4.50 each person one way. Take the ferry from Dockyards to Hamilton then catch the #1, #3, #10 or #11 bus from the bus terminal. Time: 20 minutes on ferry, 10-30 minutes to get to the bus terminal AND wait for the next bus to leave, 20-25 minutes to get to Grotto Bay.

(Warning: some ferries go directly to Hamilton but some take a roundabout route that would take over an hour so guests would have to make sure they caught the correct ferry)

public transport - ferry to St. Georges. $4.50 each person one way. Not sure on ferry time, I think 30 minutes+, take #1, #3, #10 or #11 bus, probably 5-15 minutes wait, then 15 minute travel time to Grotto Bay. Downside is that there are not a lot of sailings between Dockyard and St. George's so guests would have to make sure they got to the ferry on time.

If you have a lot of guests on the ship, like 20+ people, it might be economical to rent an entire bus to take everyone to Grotto Bay. Let me know if that's a possibility and I'll show you where you can get more information.

You could also take the ferry to Hamilton then cab to Grotto Bay. $4.50 for the ferry, $20+ for the cab. 15-20 minutes for the cab to get to Grotto.

Now that I think about it the public transport could be cheaper - you can buy books of tickets, then include one or two tickets in the guest bag. If doing the bus/ferry way guests should ask for transfers so that they can get on a bus without paying again. I would recommend ferry ==> bus over busing to Hamilton then taking another bus to Grotto Bay as busing from Dockyard to Hamilton is 45+ minutes on its own.

And once you've got that worked out you can start thinking about how to get everyone back to the ship. ;)

We will have 24 guests including ourselves. 7 of us will be at Grotto Bay early to get ready for the wedding. That leaves 17 people for transport. I'm checking into a shuttle from Grotto Bay. Please let me know what you know about a bus. The wedding is on a Tuesday so rush hour may be a problem...how bad is rush hour? Thanks for all of your information.

Here's the website for the Public Transportation Board showing routes and so forth:

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&control=SetCommunity&CommunityID=252

Along the top header where it says "Route 1", "Route 2" and so forth there's one called "Charters/Sightseeing" providing lots of info on charters. This will be your likely price:

On weekdays, all charters between the hours of 4:30 p.m., and 8:30 p.m., incur a minimum charge of $414.00 or 3 hours.

For 17 guests that's $24.35 each! Three cabs could take 17 people and would be a lot cheaper, probably $160-$180 total.

Rush hour traffic can be pretty bad in Hamilton but at that time it will be bad going out of Hamilton so for the most part you'll miss it. The buses will be crowded though so if your guests do the bus/ferry thing they'll probably be on a packed bus out of Hamilton. Traffic won't be too bad going east out of Hamilton, it's people travelling west out of Hamilton that really hit traffic.

My recommendation if Grotto doesn't have a shuttle - arrange for three cabs for your 17 guests. It'll save your guests a lot of headache trying to get there on their own and isn't too expensive at around $10 a person.

Thank you so much for all of your info. You have been a great help. My dad was going to get off the ship in the morning and hire some cabs to come back to meet our guests at 4:30... Do you think that will be enough time to get them to Grotto by 5:30-5:45? Thanks again,

Stacy

Archived