Little Nell

Port review Majesty May25th to June 8th

We did Pearls of the Aegean the first week and Adriatic Explorer the second week. This is not a guide for future travellers although there will be some advice in it, it is simply what we did and our perceptions of places. We had my husband's parents with us and had to take that into account when we were in port and led to perhaps an earlier return to the ship than if we'd been on our own.

Pearls of the Aegean

Santorini

A beautiful place. On Kruzseeka's advice we took the bus from Thira to Oia and that is an absolutely idyllic place full of narrow alleyways, blue domed churches and lovely craft shops and little art galleries. The views from here are wonderful. I would recommend you go here early as after we had lunch it was becoming very busy when we headed back to Thira. The queue for the cable car was very long and we decided to walk down the donkey path. Definitely not one of our better decisions and not to be recommended. The path is very slippery and covered in donkey poo. It winds back on itself several times as it snakes down the mountain and it took us over 40 minutes in blistering heat. The worst part of it was the donkeys themselves. They are not donkeys, they are huge. One of them had feet like a shire horse! They veer towards you and there is nowhere to shelter from them. I was terrified. To add insult to injury, we later learned that the queue went down very, very quickly. Must admit we had a good laugh about it afterwards.

Bodrum

We decided just to wander around the town, which was very easy. I really liked this little holiday resort and the shops full of "genuine fakes" were fun.

Kusadasi

We did the half day Thomson excursion to Ephasus and it really was excellent. We went firstly to Mary's house which was a bit strange as once inside you had to keep walking and you were out in seconds without really being able to absorb it. It was a beautiful, tranquil and shady spot where there were toilets and refreshments. It was interesting to hear the biblical connections with Turkey which I was previously largely unaware of. Then on to Ephasus. Prepare to be amazed at the scale of these Roman ruins. We had an excellent guide but there were so many groups going around it was difficult to hear, especially due to a French guide who seemed to be everywhere we went and made sure his group heard evrything he said. When we arrived in Ephasus I bought a very nice guide book for 4 euros which was cheaper than elsewhere. I think there were also toilets here but none once you start the tour of the ruins obviously. This was a wonderful trip that I have wanted to do for a long time.

Athens

Not having been to Athens before we decide to do the Acropolis trip with Thomson. We had an excellent guide who started to speak the minute the coach started moving and told us all sorts of interesting information about Greece. We did a bus tour of the main sites, stopping only once for photographs at the Olympic stadium and then on to the Acropolis. This is a real highlight and not to be missed. Very interesting historically, stunning visually and with breathtaking views over Athens on a beautiful day like we were blessed with. I worried about the climb up the stairs, especially after Keith, I think, said their guide rushed them up, but ours did it at a pace I managed no problem. It is a bit daunting when you see how high you have to climb but it was okay. The only disappointment was the early sailing which meant we could not explore on our own afterwards. Another excellent Thomson excursion.

Katakalon

This is the stop for Olympia but we decided to pace ourselves and stay in Katakalon which is very pretty. We didn't even venture out of the town but sat at the front for about an hour and a half and chilled. Lots of free wifi here and I went on my mini to catch up with the rest of the world. We now have to go back again to go to Olympia! We did see a bus stop for Olympia just outside the port and later found out there is a little train takes you to the beach and around the town. The port entrance is at the start of this small town.

Corfu

There is a public bus (blue) just outside the port which takes you in to Corfu town, I believe it is about 35 mins walk. If I am absolutely honest I would say we were a bit disappointed by Corfu Town. I felt it was a bit tired and I could see roads and pavements, exterior of buildings etc in a poor state of repair. It really is personal taste as most people seemed to really like it. We walked up the hill and took the little train from just outside MacDonalds and in front of a lovely square, which lasted about 40 minutes with a commentary and we enjoyed this. We saw the birthplace of Prince Philip, at least the entrance to the estate. There were some archaeological digs as well and a Byzantine church. We did some shopping. I have to say I liked the shops. We don't do much shopping on holiday but like to brouse shops selling locally produced items and Corfu has lots of these.

By the end of the week we felt inspired by what we had seen, never having been to Greece before.

Adriatic Explorer

Koper, Slovenia.

This was our first view of the former Yugoslavia and we were charmed by what we saw in Koper. Narrow lanes, cafes on every corner, historic buildings. Again we took Kruzseeka's advice (she really is a wonderful woman and wrote out instructions for us when she was on the ship :)) and went to Piran. We got the Sunday timetable from the tourist information kiosk at the entrance to the port and walked in to Koper doing some sightseeing before and after going to Piran. The scenery on the bus journey to Piran was lovely and we passed through some beautiful little holiday resorts which I would visit next time. Piran was charming, it reminded us of some of the little towns we had seen in Italy on the Riviera. We went into a little cafe for a drink when we got off the bus. It is the first little cafe you come to on the right hand side of the road. We walked around the town then down to the front and a couple of hours later went back to the cafe for something to eat. We had passed lots of restaurants but didn't want a large meal, just a snack. It was a Bosnian cafe. The girl who worked in it spoke very good English and we chatted about Tito (there was a calendar with him on it on the wall) and about ethnic groups in Slovenia. Interesting stuff. Then we had a sharing platter which was supposed to be for 2 but she told us it would be ample for the 4 of us and it was. It was very, very tasty and a lovely memory for us to have. Incidentally the bus going there was 10 minutes late and the one returning was 15 minutes early, just as Kruzseeka said.

Venice

As we had been to Venice a number of times before we had planned to go to Burano but on investigation it didn't prove possible in the time we had. At this point I was thinking why didn't they give us a late sailing from here rather than Koper? So, we headed off into St Marks Square, took some pictures and bailed out back to the Rialto Bridge and took the water bus up the Grand Canal to the Piazza Roma where we got off and wandered around some of the little back streets which was quiet and charming. We walked back to the ship, about a 35 minute walk and luckily just beat the very heavy rain. The sail out of Venice was spine tingling, another memory we will never forget and I am so grateful we sailed when we did. From the vantage of the ship we had a new view of Venice and the Italian music played by the cruise director was beautiful. We have some beautiful pictures with St Marks Square in the background! The rain very kindly went off just before we sailed but the sky was very dark.

Thanks for your very interesting port reviews Little Nell. Have started to copy reviews into Word then I will edit them later and print them ....and then I am sorted.:D Like the idea of a quiet day resting in Bodrum after Santorini and before Ephasus the next day. Afraid I will have to go to Olympia as my husband really wants to go there. This is an over-used phrase on this site but so true - "I can't wait".

Thanks for your very interesting port reviews Little Nell. Have started to copy reviews into Word then I will edit them later and print them ....and then I am sorted.:D Like the idea of a quiet day resting in Bodrum after Santorini and before Ephasus the next day. Afraid I will have to go to Olympia as my husband really wants to go there. This is an over-used phrase on this site but so true - "I can't wait".

Part of me thinks it was a wasted opportunity, Jakanne, not to go to Olympia and Kruzseeka did say she really enjoyed it. We just got lazy:)

A word document is a good idea. You must go to Oia! I could do it all again tomorrow. When do you go, I've forgotten?

Part of me thinks it was a wasted opportunity, Jakanne, not to go to Olympia and Kruzseeka did say she really enjoyed it. We just got lazy:)

We got lazy & missed Athens last time - think too many early mornings and late night partying got the better of us so we enjoyed the peace around a quiet pool when everyone went into Athens!! We will definitely get off this year!

Edited by Julessmiles

We got lazy & missed Athens last time - think too many early mornings and late night partying got the better of us so we enjoyed the peace around a quiet pool when everyone went into Athens!! We will definitely get off this year!

I know the feeling :D

A word document is a good idea. You must go to Oia! I could do it all again tomorrow. When do you go, I've forgotten?

Will definitely go to Oia but thanks to your advice we will not walk back down!! We go on 31st August and are just doing the Aegean bit and then a week in Ag. Stefanos, Corfu. We intend to do an excursion to Albania from Corfu (more old rocks!). Actually I have just booked a last minute week in July to go to Stefanos with my daughter and grandson. This will be a budget holiday though:rolleyes: and I guess I will be building sandcastles instead of looking at fallen down castles:eek:

Will definitely go to Oia but thanks to your advice we will not walk back down!! We go on 31st August and are just doing the Aegean bit and then a week in Ag. Stefanos, Corfu. We intend to do an excursion to Albania from Corfu (more old rocks!). Actually I have just booked a last minute week in July to go to Stefanos with my daughter and grandson. This will be a budget holiday though:rolleyes: and I guess I will be building sandcastles instead of looking at fallen down castles:eek:

Sounds great and I am sure it will be special building sandcastles with your grandson.:)

And how was the Jubilee?

Wonderful experience. Went with a friend and our husbands would have hated it so pleased we left them at home. We needed the waterproofs and winter clothes though.

Wonderful experience. Went with a friend and our husbands would have hated it so pleased we left them at home. We needed the waterproofs and winter clothes though.

I know about the weather we saw it on the TV in the cabin but the atmosphere looked amazing. Glad you had a great time.:)