Food/restaurant suggestions in Seattle

K.T.B.

End of July, my wife and I will be spending a few days in Seattle prior to sailing out on July 31st (we arrive on the 28th). I've been doing tons of searching and review reading from a variety of internet sources, but I would definitely love to get some real solid suggestions from people who have been to the places.

I'm looking for restaurants in and around Pike Market Place. We're staying very near there and I'd prefer to keep it within walking distance. We already have plans to meet up with friends for dinner at Sky City on Saturday night. On Sunday we're going to the Mariners game that afternoon. And on Monday we're planning on doing the market. The only definite food places we're going to/visiting are Sky City, Lowell's (strictly for breakfast), and Maximus Minimus for lunch on Monday.

Sky City is going to be the "big pricey" dinner, so I would prefer suggestions that are somewhat reasonably priced. As an example, Sky City is considered between $31-60 a person, I'm looking for nothing more than $20-25 per person now. And the only thing I ask is that the menu is diverse and not just exclusively seafood. (I'm not a fan of it.)

Thanks! :)

End of July, my wife and I will be spending a few days in Seattle prior to sailing out on July 31st (we arrive on the 28th). I've been doing tons of searching and review reading from a variety of internet sources, but I would definitely love to get some real solid suggestions from people who have been to the places.

I'm looking for restaurants in and around Pike Market Place. We're staying very near there and I'd prefer to keep it within walking distance. We already have plans to meet up with friends for dinner at Sky City on Saturday night. On Sunday we're going to the Mariners game that afternoon. And on Monday we're planning on doing the market. The only definite food places we're going to/visiting are Sky City, Lowell's (strictly for breakfast), and Maximus Minimus for lunch on Monday.

Sky City is going to be the "big pricey" dinner, so I would prefer suggestions that are somewhat reasonably priced. As an example, Sky City is considered between $31-60 a person, I'm looking for nothing more than $20-25 per person now. And the only thing I ask is that the menu is diverse and not just exclusively seafood. (I'm not a fan of it.)

Food around the Market tends to either be casual and cheap, or rather pricey. But you could probably get in and out of these places for under $25 per person (plus drinks and tips)...

If you like Italian, I suggest the Pink Door. They have a lovely patio with a view of the Market and Elliott Bay, if you prefer quiet, or some really interesting entertainment inside. The food is quite good.

Seatown is one of Tom Douglas' restaurants. I haven't been but his other places are wonderful.

When Steelhead Diner is on, it's wonderful. The last time I was there...not so much (cold food, sloppy service). But it used to be one of my favorites, so I'm not giving up on them yet.

Have you looked at the Chowhound Seattle board? Lots of great information there.

Food around the Market tends to either be casual and cheap, or rather pricey. But you could probably get in and out of these places for under $25 per person (plus drinks and tips)...

If you like Italian, I suggest the Pink Door. They have a lovely patio with a view of the Market and Elliott Bay, if you prefer quiet, or some really interesting entertainment inside. The food is quite good.

Seatown is one of Tom Douglas' restaurants. I haven't been but his other places are wonderful.

When Steelhead Diner is on, it's wonderful. The last time I was there...not so much (cold food, sloppy service). But it used to be one of my favorites, so I'm not giving up on them yet.

Have you looked at the Chowhound Seattle board? Lots of great information there.

Thank you for pointing out Chowhound! I'll definitely check it out.

I did take a look at Pink Door, but nothing on the menu wowed me. :( Love the idea of the place though!

I'm passing on Steelhead. I read enough Yelp and Travel Advisor comments to know it's merely ok. Life is too short for "ok" food and bad service. ;)

Seatown looks good for breakfast or lunch! I may end up there on the Sunday I'm in Seattle actually...

Use the search button and many, many threads will come up with regards to dining in Seattle.

Also, take a look at trip advisor.

Use the search button and many, many threads will come up with regards to dining in Seattle.

Also, take a look at trip advisor.

Been there, done that. This is why I started a thread asking for opinions. :)

I had done a search on here, but all pretty much the same comments. I did find ONE intriguing place by the name of Wild Ginger. Good Thai food is very difficult to find, so this place is a strong possbility.

I just want to find places where the locals go and avoid a lot of the touristy places.

Been there, done that. This is why I started a thread asking for opinions. :)

I had done a search on here, but all pretty much the same comments. I did find ONE intriguing place by the name of Wild Ginger. Good Thai food is very difficult to find, so this place is a strong possbility.

I just want to find places where the locals go and avoid a lot of the touristy places.

Just my view, but Wild Ginger has been coasting on word of mouth for years. There are so many better Thai and other Asian places in town, but it keeps slogging along. The only way I'd eat at Thai Ginger (and I have) would be if we're attending a show at the Triple Door (a fun downtown nightclub) which Wild Ginger caters.

Look, staying at the Pike Place Market you're going to be surrounded by tourist places, it's unavoidable. If you want to get out of downtown, your restaurant choices, particularly of the non-touristy type, expand hugely. Seattle is very much a city of neighborhoods, and most of the really good restaurants, especially ethnic restaurants, are not in downtown but are in the neighborhoods, or even suburbs in some cases. The rent's cheaper, people can drive to them, things like that.

That doesn't mean downtown is absent some excellent restaurants, including ethnic ones. For example, Long Provincial is a block from the market and is one of the better Vietnamese restaurants in town. (It's older and better brother, Tamarind Tree, is located in the International District, a bus ride and a short walk from the market.) The ID/Chinatown district has a bazillion excellent Asian restaurants; for a fun lunch (and frankly one I'd pick over Maximus/Minimus) head to the Uwajimaya pan-Asian grocery/department store in the ID, where there's a food court (closes at 5 or 6) with all sorts of great Asian food stalls - from Thai to Filipino, Chinese to Hawaiian. Before or after eating, wander around the store - the best fish market in town, play "name that vegetable" in the produce section, shop for Japanese snacks or souvenirs... whatever. Now that's a locals place. Free bus to Jackson, then two blocks on foot. (PS you could do Uwajimaya before the ball game - it's walking distance.)

Just my view, but Wild Ginger has been coasting on word of mouth for years. There are so many better Thai and other Asian places in town, but it keeps slogging along. The only way I'd eat at Thai Ginger (and I have) would be if we're attending a show at the Triple Door (a fun downtown nightclub) which Wild Ginger caters.

That seems to be the consensus on boards like Chowhound as well. I haven''t been in years, but I was underwhelmed then--pricey and overly-precious, food only fair.

Good Thai food is one thing that Seattle has in great abundance. Oh, the hardcore foodies will say "That place just doesn't do kaeng hang-le as good as that little dive I found on a back alley in Chiang Mai..." but the rest of us mostly have no trouble finding what we like here. My favorites tend to be out in the neighborhoods and the 'burbs, too, but I've heard good things about Bell Thai in Belltown (which is just north of Pike Place Market--walkable, if you're at all inclined).

And if we're talking lunches near downtown...my pick would be Salumi, in Pioneer Square. They're only open for lunches, Tuesday - Friday, and there's ALWAYS a line--but if you're here on the right days, it's worth it. Definitely a Seattle experience.

If you want something different, super fun, delicious delicious food

and very affordable check out Dueling Piano Bar Keyes on Main

you can google for a restaurant.com "discount" code and get a cert for

$25 off $35 for only $2 or $3 LOL

They do have 2 for one drinks at happy hour if you get there before the show starts so another way to save

The food was simple but OMG>>> wonderful

I had the best Quesdilla ever...everyone raved about the food and the show was a blast

from my "Seattle" review>>

Keys on Main was super....so much fun, dueling pianos...so talented and so funny...and rauchy as the night went on haha...not a kid place which was fine with me

fabulous food. I had a restaurant.com cert for $75 off $150 to share with my group and they honored it, no problem. The quesidillas were fantastic

They let us use the cert for drinks

http://keysonmain.com/seattle/

another favorite was the Tillicum Village Salmon Bake

boat ride, show, fabulous Northwestern foods buffet

great "real" crafts/gift shop...no Chinese junk haha

~~~~~~~~~ we also loved Sky City but did it for lunch

be aware they recently changed menu, made it even a bit more expensive but it was wonderful

I would also suggest seeing Chuhily Glass and Gardens

Here is link to my Seattle Trip report ...have fun

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1648370

Try dim sum in the international district, or a bowl of pho or a vietnamese sandwich for lunch. If someone at work picks up a take out order for us, I get a nice plate of fresh rolls filled with perfectly cooked shrimp, and fresh veggies for $3.

I second Gardyloo's suggestion for Uwajimaya, I love that place. It has been around forever it seems. The packaged sushi is pretty good there, and it's a fun place to shop for gifts. Food court is obviously nothing fancy for atmosphere but I've had some good food there. I like being able to watch while my food is cooked!

Archived