Voyager of the Seas Picture Review Singapore to Shanghai June 2012

Our next stop was the War Remnants museum. Prior to 1993, this was the War Crimes Museum. Whose crimes? Allegedly Uncle Sam's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Remnants_Museum_%28Ho_Chi_Minh_City%29

Not for the faint-hearted, I must say. Lots and lots of very graphic war pictures. War is cruel, no doubt about that. I realised that I didn't take any photos of those graphic pictures. Too sad for me. So the photos here are of all the American war material on display.

291pcp2.jpg

34tecko.jpg

I was told that the chopper on the right is a Chinook.

14jovb7.jpg

Ammunition. Not sure if they can still be used!

Edited by Iluvcruising2

I did find the name of the museum rather strange at first - War Remnants. Later I found out it used to be War Crimes. I suppose they just had to change the word Crimes to Remants after relations with USA were normalized.

However, inside the museum, it was still all about war crimes.

o3hqf.jpg

2vwy7ub.jpg

If you are not familiar with Agent Orange, please read -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Orange

The pictures were extremely disturbing. If you intend to bring kids to the museum, please prepare them properly.

Who thought of this Agent Orange idea anyway? It's quite crazy, like seriously.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Next stop was some temple. We spent like 15 minutes there. Nothing much to see. (well, I guess from a Singaporean perspective, we have many similar temples locally)

211030x.jpg

KFC in the background.

71tjyh.jpg

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Thanks so much! I am enjoying the picture review!

Since we will be ending our cruise in Singapore, will it be easy enough to get a taxi from the port to our hotel?

Thanks!

Sharon

Shouldn't be a problem at all. Which hotel would you be staying at?

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Ok, I'll call it a night for now. It's 2230 local time, and I'm off to bed.

If there is demand, I shall continue the picture review.

Please feel free to leave me your comments on what I have posted so far.

Cheers & have a good night (or good day). :)

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Very interesting pictures. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

I'm surprised at how many of your fellow passengers appear to be white people. I would have expected more Asians on a cruise through southeast Asia. I see that the Cruise Compasses were in English. What about the announcements? And was the food "typical" cruise food, or were there more local dishes available? (Or, both?)

Ok, I'll call it a night for now. It's 2230 local time, and I'm off to bed.

If there is demand, I shall continue the picture review.

Please feel free to leave me your comments on what I have posted so far.

Cheers & have a good night (or good day). :)

Oh, please keep on writing and posting. Your pictures are great. I travel to HK and Xiamen quite often for business and never have enough time sightsee so I would love to see pictures from a tourist/cruisers perspective. Thanks so much.

Very interesting pictures. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

I'm surprised at how many of your fellow passengers appear to be white people. I would have expected more Asians on a cruise through southeast Asia. I see that the Cruise Compasses were in English. What about the announcements? And was the food "typical" cruise food, or were there more local dishes available? (Or, both?)

This particular cruise had a substantial number of white people. I recall 500ish Australians and also a large number from European countries and also more than 100 from America.

Singaporeans formed the majority, almost 1,000 of us.

I will post pictures of the cruise food soon.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Announcements were always in English first, sometimes followed by mandarin.

Cruise compass delivered to stateroom was English. Other language versions were available at Guest relations.

However I noticed the stack of cruise compasses to be delivered to staterooms were printed in Chinese, for the next sailing.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

The basement of the Palace contained many rooms from which the President monitored the war effort. There was also a bunker.

33w5y7p.jpg

In their rush to get out of Vietnam, I think the Americans left behind lots of equipment. Now, they serve as fine exhibits.

5mbhg3.jpg

332yovb.jpg

These looks like signal equipment.

20iuuj8.jpg

Wonder why they needed so many typewriters. They certainly weren't typing love letters to the VietCong.

The typewriters are teletype machines or known as Telex. They were the predecessor to fax machines. You could type a message and send it directly through the phone lines. They were used mostly for international communications. They were used until fax machines became popular, about 30 years ago.

Love the review!

Thanks for all the info!

We are staying at the Mandarin in Singapore.

They have a car service to pick us up but it seems very expensive.

We thought we would take a taxi if possible.

Sharon

Next stop was some temple. We spent like 15 minutes there. Nothing much to see. (well, I guess from a Singaporean perspective, we have many similar temples locally)

211030x.jpg

OMG, I think we recognized that old Chinese temple, it's somewhere near District 5, as we're on a private tour riding high on the Benz van (symbolic icon of capitalism, LOL) and it was not well kept, there was a small pond outside in the courtyard (right side of photo) with dirty, dark standing water - actually, kind of depressing to see it in that shape as we're told it's over 100 years old (and, sure looked its age.) There was no fortune teller around to read those wooden sticks, no locals selling incense or offering souvenirs to tourists, etc. The ladies tried to use the restroom off to the side of the temple's main hall, suffice to say they saw it & ran out quickly and asked the driver to get going as they rather "hold" and wait ...

Very informative photo journal & review - we are thinking of doing an Asian cruise with stops in Vietnam & Singarpore, this is very, very cool - THANKS !! ;) :)

Edited by mking8288

Love the review!

Thanks for all the info!

We are staying at the Mandarin in Singapore.

They have a car service to pick us up but it seems very expensive.

We thought we would take a taxi if possible.

Sharon

Please don't bother with the car service. Plenty of taxis available on cruise day.

Make sure you get the full name and address of your hotel in Singapore though. These days there are so many Mandarins- Mandarin Oriental, Marina Mandarin etc. Locals get confused. I heard taxi drivers also get confused.

Edited by Iluvcruising2