Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JessLCH

Live from the Dawn...seas are calming and we have picked up speed

to over 20 knots as of 8:30 pm. It was a VERY rough last night and day all day today. My husband ended up very sick and had to get a shot. Funny that the NCL site says we won't be getting in til 3am Monday. No such official word onboard shi[p. We have been told by the latest Captain's update we would arrive late Sunday but would be updated in the am. The butler just gave us the unofficial wordthat itr might be later too but I don't think we'll know definitely til tomorrow. I think we are close to Cape Hatteras now so I can't see how it would take us til Monday morning. Anyhow, I hope we get in as early as possible tomorrow. Sorry about the Mother's Day cruise.

By the way, I got a hot stone massage this morning during ther rough seas. I thought I'd roll off the massage table. Could have been a bit more relaxing!

Jess ~ They have updated the web site again. Now you're scheduled to be in NYC by 5:00 tomorrow (Sunday). The Mother's Day cruise is still canceled, though :(

Jess ~ They have updated the web site again. Now you're scheduled to be in NYC by 5:00 tomorrow (Sunday). The Mother's Day cruise is still canceled, though :(

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. I just went down to reception and the gals there looked at me like I was nuts when I told them the NCL site said we wouldn't arrive til 3am Monday. They even called the bridge to confirm that we were still aiming for late Sunday afternoon. They let me make a courtesy call home about the delay. The butler told me I could do this.

Hi everybody! (Hi Jess!)I have tried 2 other times to post and it doesn't work! Says I'm not authorized to be here. Excuse me? Boy, ya go away for a few days and you get kicked out of clubs , forgotten ...

OK, seriously. I am so loving this cruise. This AA suite is fantastic, our concierge Carlos stupendous, our butler Corina one of my new favorite people. We so wish we'd had her all week- we didn't get her until Wednesday (story there will tell in review), she's really great.

We are so happy with NCL we have booked a cruise for next Feb (did you hear that, DebJo? Come on, girl!) for the Spirit out of NY.

As Jess reported, quite roller-coastery, especially up here in the bow. Still, doesn't compare to the wave storm. TV says waves 12 feet, it feels like it should be higher than that. Didn't stop me from Gede and the martooni clinic though.

More when I get back--you 5/8 cruisers, hang in there. We may infringe upon your time a little, but we will leave the Dawn in good and well-loved shape for you!

Greenie

(No time for spellcheck--sorry!)

Greenie ~ I'm glad you're having a great time despite the rough seas. Quick question: is the butler the same person for an AA and AB? We have an AB penthouse booked for 6/12 and I've heard from several people that the butler is Lanie. I'm just curious if she is gone and your butler is the new one. Or, are there many butlers to serve the AA's and AB's? Or, just one for all?

Safe passage home~! :)

I'm glad I came here! I had no idea we were going to be so late! I love being on the Dawn longer, but would have wished to be home long before when it sounds like we may be. Oh well. I'm so sorry about the Mother's Day cruise ...

2Cruise, the butler situation right around my cabin (9506) or at least FOR my cabin was a bit confused this week. One started the week (John) but then left on Wednesday because he's going on the Jewel. Then a brand new one (Maxie) supposedly took over our cabin but so did Corina. Then for 1 1/2 days we had a little of Maxie and a lot from Corinna. But then just Corinna (WE LOVE HER). But SamtheBooKitty, in an AC 2 doors away does not have Corinne. They have Maxie. So to answer your question, I don't know! Perhaps Lanie is on Deck 10?

I'm about out of minutes ... see you after I return!

Greenie ~ yeah, that's what I was thinking. We're on deck 10 and most of the people on deck 10 in the past have talked about the stellar service from Lanie. I hear that many folks from the Dawn are going to the Jewel. I hope not! I've so many wonderful things about the CD, the concierge and the butlers. I would hate to have to "break in" the new staff, so to speak. But, then again, I have never had the experience of a butler before. So, I'm sure no matter who it is, he/she will be wonderful.

Looking forward to your review. Please, please post pictures. I'm curious about your cabin because we may book an owner's suite the next time around :)

BTW, have you had a chance to experience the kids club? We're bringing our 2 kids (2 and 7).

Thanks!

greenie and jess,

glad to hear you're having a great time. I hope to book another cruise on the ship as well! Make sure to save the chicken parm! ;) Get home safely and enjoy the rest of the cruise!!

Tim

Sounds like you are "weathering" the rough seas quite nicely (sorry bad pun) and hope for smooth sailing for the remainder of the trip home.

Love people that make the best of a bad situation! Enjoy the rest of your cruise and sorry for those booked on the Mother's Day cruise.

Cathy

Hey all,

Posting this at 10:45ish am Sunday. Seas are nice and calm. We are around Atlantic City now. Scheduled to arrive at 4:30ish.

We are in an AB suite on deck 11 and our butler is Lani. She has been a lifesaver this week as we are travelling with two small children.

Greenie, sorry we missed the meet and greet. While my 3.5 year old is currently on her 4th cruise and having a ball, we hadn't anticipated how much harder travelling with a 3 year old AND an infant would be. So we have been kind of winging it.

Thanks for posting updates. =GLad it's clamed down and you are safely traveling bac. Can't wait to read the reviews!!!

Sorry for the Mother's Day cruisers, but safety must come first.

:) Glad you guys are are making the best of it and STILL enjoying your cruise!! Just being on the Dawn is GREAT!!

What cabins are you both in? We were in #11020, "Jade", our Butler was "Lani". She was lovely, she got things for us that were not on any menu's!! She SPOILED US!!! We hope to have her as our Butler next February on the Dawn, if not, we WILL ask for her....

I guess that the "Nor' Easter" that we were supposed to get, went straight out to sea, I wonder if the Captain sailed around it, to avoid ANY kind of a problem like a few weeks ago. I am sure he will be overly cautious from now on, he took a HUGE amount of heat from the "Big Wave" incident....

Looking forward to your reviews, have a safe trip home.

Suesan

Marit,

Okay well i'll bring the easy bake oven and chicken and you bring the sauce and mozzarella cheeze. :D

Hi JessCLH,

Do you remember how fast you were going when you were around Atlantic City at 10:45 ish? Just Curious.

Thanks Joanne

Hi JessCLH,

Do you remember how fast you were going when you were around Atlantic City at 10:45 ish? Just Curious.

Thanks Joanne

I think around 22 knots.

Tim, I am very sorry to report that due to the extra 8 hours at sea and all the extra lunches served, there is just not one more serving of chicken parm left! I tried to save you one ... I got some big hungry, unfriendly man wrestled to the floor and planted my flip-flop-clad size 7 foot on his neck while I tried to grab that last serving away from him, but sadly, he just flipped me up in the air and tossed that last portrion right down his throat without even chewing and savoring it, the pig! I did my best for ya, guy.

I had such a great time .. I am gathering my thoughts and will post a full review later this week.

2Cruise, I did find out that our butler Corina takes care of the cabins on Deck 10, but was asked by our wonderful concierge Carlos (who I heard was fairly new) to also take care of ours (9506). Probably because we got a bit short-changed for the first 3 days with a butler who was leaving and clearly already had "left" in his head. I told Corina we want her to move to the Spirit for the cruise we'll be on next February! She is just so wonderful, any of you lucky enough to have her next week, please please tell her Pattie and Joe say hi!

DebJo, I want to thank you for the wonderful card you left in our suite!! And the WONDERFUL and most THOUGHTFUL "birthday cake" for Joe! You are so sweet, thank you, my friend.

Suesan, were you with us in spirit as I hoped?? I hope things are easing off a bit for you and your multiple smileys are hovering in the wings getting ready for a back-by-popular-demand repeat performance!

Better go do some more unpacking ... *sigh*

Hey all,

Posting this at 10:45ish am Sunday. Seas are nice and calm. We are around Atlantic City now. Scheduled to arrive at 4:30ish.

We are in an AB suite on deck 11 and our butler is Lani. She has been a lifesaver this week as we are travelling with two small children.

Greenie, sorry we missed the meet and greet. While my 3.5 year old is currently on her 4th cruise and having a ball, we hadn't anticipated how much harder travelling with a 3 year old AND an infant would be. So we have been kind of winging it.

That's OK, Jess--we were sorry you couldn't make it too! It was a nice gathering--not as large as we'd hoped but not half bad either. I think around 30-35 people were there. NCL did such a nice job for us, with coffee, juice, danishes, the HD Klauss and several other brass, can't remember who right now. (Not Colin though, unfortunately, he was busy, as was the captain)--but it was great.

:) I am glad you had a nice cruise, even if the "drive" home wasn't exactly picture perfect....

Honestly, my DH and I are still grieving very deeply for our boy Bobby. Yesterday was very, very, very rough. I know I should rejoice in the joy that is my wonderfull, adored, loved more then anything, daughter, Sara, which of course I do... She IS the light of my life, I am in awe of her daily, she is a delight!! I know I should rejoice in the fact that Beau and Bonnie are healing, they are almost totally well, and that Billy and Becky are just fine too. But, our Bobby is gone, we are missing "one of the bunch", we miss him so.... My pain yesterday was so great, I could not stop crying, I did not visit my Mom or sister, I just couldn't. My family just does not understand me and my grief for "a dog". I did not want to celebrate, I did not want to be happy, I just wanted "Mother's Day" over with.....

Today is the one month Anniversay of Bobby's death. Time goes by so fast. I am doing pretty well, so far... A little weepy this morning, maybe I cried so much yesterday, I'm "empty"....

Thank you Greenie SO MUCH for caring, it IS comforting to know that there ARE people who do care, who can empathize and sympathize with our loss. Thank you.

I hope to hear more about your cruise..... Have a GREAT week!!

Suesan

My family just does not understand me and my grief for "a dog".

Suesan

Dear Suesan,

I know you addressed your post to Greenie, but I "couldn't help but overhear."

My DH & I recently lost our dog of 16 years -- definitely part of the family. We didn't even travel for the last 3 years just taking care of her.

My condolences to you on the loss of your Bobby.

I am so sorry for your loss, there are no words to say that can make it better, just, I am so sorry.....

My DH and I were talking about that yesterday, having ones beloved dog die at an "old" age. Was your dog sick? We wondered if the emotions, would be as overwhelming as they are now. (one month ago today, three, of our five dogs, ran out the front door, into the street and were hit by a car, Bobby died in about two minutes in my DH's arms, Beau had a fractured pelvis, shock and a gash on his head and Bonnie had a gash on her head. Both of them are doing VERY well now. We are so thankfull, this tragedy could have been a nightmare of all nightmares.... But, my DH and I are still in the depths of despair, we miss Bobby so, he was such a special boy, he was SO happy, SO funny, SO adorable!!! )

Bobby was only three and a half years old, he was too young, we weren't/aren't ready to have him die. It is all so painfull......The horror of seeing and hearing his death just plays over and over in our minds. It all happened so fast, in a blink of an eye, there was nothing we could do to stop it, to change it, to save Bobby from death and Bonnie and Beau from injury.

They (all the dogs) are GREAT dogs!!! They all are brothers and sisters (yes, they are "fixed"...) Their Mom Is a Bichon and their Dad is an English Cocker Spaniel. They are totally adorable curly haired "mutt dogs!!". Billy is 5 years old, Bobby would have been 4 in July and Becky, Bonnie and Beau are 3 years old. Yes, it is a lot of dogs, but, oh, the LOVE they bring into this house, I can not imagine life without them!!!

Again, thank you so much for your kind words and thoughts, they DO mean a lot to me........And, again, I am so sorry at your loss too, why can't our pets live as long as we do?!?!

Suesan

I am very happy for you that Beau and Bonnie came through and are doing well.

Our dog had a non-agressive cancer. We made sure she was very comfortable and didn't suffer -- especially with two humans waiting on her hand and paw. She was also getting on in age, so the combination did her in.

As with humans, it doesn't matter how old the "special" ones are -- you (and they) know it when you first meet. And you grieve the loss.