Why all the Anchorage hate?

lrowe70

Will spending an hour or two walking the park (down from the Chalet) be enough time to cover some ground or do you think we would be better to set aside more time.

A couple of hours are enough time to enjoy Kincaid. We spent two hours there yesterday and didn’t see any moose, though. If that’s your goal you might consider getting off the main paved path. There are many side trails. Your chances are greater if you get away from the chalet too. There’s a frisbee golf course near the chalet that gets a little noisy sometimes and can scare them away.

There is a trail down to the beach which is where we usually head. As you travel down the trail from the chalet towards the water the trail will make a 90 degree right turn and there will be a sign that says “Keep Right”. To the left is a nice dirt path that parallels the beach and about 75 yards down that path is the trail down the bluff to the beach where you won’t encounter water to access the beach. You can walk for miles along the waterfront on the beach.

For me, Anchorage is a city, and in general my DH and I do not choose to vacation in cities. Most of our vacations, up until a few years ago, were camping vacations. Even when not camping we would be taking in National Parks and scenic areas. We go on vacation to get away from cities and see beautiful scenery. We did spend a little time in Anchorage and hope if we go back to have time for the Tony Knowles Trail. However, most of what Anchorage has to offer does not appeal to us. We like to get away from cities. No offense to those living in Anchorage, just not our cup of tea so to speak.

For those looking for Moose sighting options, I have read about Glen Alps area as being a good place to go. We were supposed to head there last year, but we had a change in plans due to our ship docking later than it was supposed to:

[url

]http://www.romancingalaska.com/southcentral/SC_glen_alps.htm[/url]

Another link for wildlife viewing opportunites:

http://www.helium.com/items/1502654-wildlife-moose-bear-sea-lions-seals-eagles-alaska-anchorage

Is there vehicle access to Point Woronzof (or close by) or do you have to walk the whole coastal trail to get there? It is hard to tell by google maps if the road around the airport is inside the fence or outside.

Hi all,

I'll be in Anchorage flying in late the evening of August 8, will have the day of the 9th to sight see and then will leave on my Royal Caribbean cruise on the 10th.

I've researched all kinds of tour groups and am stumped at this time. It's just me on this trip. Had to cancel my early July vacation as my Dad had bypass surgery. So...no car for the day and so I thought finding a tour company would be the way to go.

Too many options and too many choices. EEEAAAaggggaadds!!! And I don't know anything about these tour companies so I'm flying blind so to speak.

What I would really like to see is wildlife if possible. I've read about walking tours and bike tours suggested here...but..errr..I'm 56, female and feel a little uncomfortble doing all that by myself. Hense, the thought of a tour company might be ideal. I'm in good shape so I can walk good distances but I just don't want to do it on my own. I'd like to see whales, moose, bear,....yeah...all of it, of course! Hey, I'm in Alaska! :D

Can anyone make some recommendations? I've seen tours that go for 7 hrs to 12 hrs. I'm not staying in downtown but near the airport...but that can only be a cab drive away...or maybe the tour company can pick me up. :)

I look forward to what you'all might suggest.

Many thanks!

Kathy

Is there vehicle access to Point Woronzof (or close by) or do you have to walk the whole coastal trail to get there? It is hard to tell by google maps if the road around the airport is inside the fence or outside.

You can drive to Pt Woronzof Park by heading west on Northern Lights Blvd. The road ends at a substance abuse treatment center, Clithoroe. Just before that is a parking lot on the right. You’ll see signs. It’s only about 100 yards to the beach from the parking lot. Pt Woronzof is on the north side of the airport and Kincaid is on the south side. You can’t drive between the two from this point but the bike path allows access. Both the road and bike path are outside the airport fence. About a mile before Pt Woronzof is a little parking lot on the right. Not sure of the name but you’ll see a road called Postmark Dr. Directly across Northern Lights Blvd from Postmark is the park. I think there are probably more photos of the Anchorage skyline taken from this location than any other. Worth a stop too. This one is from January.

https://picasaweb.google.com/102646543533558914776/November62011#5706964083280069202

Hi all,

I'll be in Anchorage flying in late the evening of August 8, will have the day of the 9th to sight see and then will leave on my Royal Caribbean cruise on the 10th.

I've researched all kinds of tour groups and am stumped at this time. It's just me on this trip. Had to cancel my early July vacation as my Dad had bypass surgery. So...no car for the day and so I thought finding a tour company would be the way to go.

Too many options and too many choices. EEEAAAaggggaadds!!! And I don't know anything about these tour companies so I'm flying blind so to speak.

What I would really like to see is wildlife if possible. I've read about walking tours and bike tours suggested here...but..errr..I'm 56, female and feel a little uncomfortble doing all that by myself. Hense, the thought of a tour company might be ideal. I'm in good shape so I can walk good distances but I just don't want to do it on my own. I'd like to see whales, moose, bear,....yeah...all of it, of course! Hey, I'm in Alaska! :D

Can anyone make some recommendations? I've seen tours that go for 7 hrs to 12 hrs. I'm not staying in downtown but near the airport...but that can only be a cab drive away...or maybe the tour company can pick me up. :)

I look forward to what you'all might suggest.

Many thanks!

Kathy

If wildlife is your priority then hopefully you are taking a Kenai Fjords boat tour prior to embarkment?? I would highly recommend it, as it is a boat tour loaded with varied wildlife. Take the Alaska RR to Seward- booking yourself and then the 11:30am boat tour. Vendors will store your bags and transfer you to your cruiseship.

You can drive to Pt Woronzof Park by heading west on Northern Lights Blvd. The road ends at a substance abuse treatment center, Clithoroe. Just before that is a parking lot on the right. You’ll see signs. It’s only about 100 yards to the beach from the parking lot. Pt Woronzof is on the north side of the airport and Kincaid is on the south side. You can’t drive between the two from this point but the bike path allows access. Both the road and bike path are outside the airport fence. About a mile before Pt Woronzof is a little parking lot on the right. Not sure of the name but you’ll see a road called Postmark Dr. Directly across Northern Lights Blvd from Postmark is the park. I think there are probably more photos of the Anchorage skyline taken from this location than any other. Worth a stop too. This one is from January.

https://picasaweb.google.com/102646543533558914776/November62011#5706964083280069202

Thanks again! Beautiful shot by the way.

If wildlife is your priority then hopefully you are taking a Kenai Fjords boat tour prior to embarkment?? I would highly recommend it, as it is a boat tour loaded with varied wildlife. Take the Alaska RR to Seward- booking yourself and then the 11:30am boat tour. Vendors will store your bags and transfer you to your cruiseship.

I get in LATE on the 8th which is why I choose an airport hotel. So I could just crash upon arrival. To catch the RR that would leave on the 9th @ 6:30 I believe and takes 4 hrs, right? From what I understand Seward has only 4 taxi's for about that so how would I get to the harbor to meet the Kenai Fjords boat by 11:30 WITH all my luggage? And that is the day of the 9th....would have to wait until the 10th to board the Radiance. So would have to find a hotel in Seward.

Aren't there tour companies in Anchorage that can show me wildlife with less hassle?

I currently have transfers from Anchorge to the ship already. So that would have to be cancelled...which I would think would be no biggie...but I'm looking for something easy since I'll have had a tiring travel day the day before.

Thank you Budget Queen, but do you have some suggestions out of Anchorage?

Many thanks!

Kathy

I get in LATE on the 8th which is why I choose an airport hotel. So I could just crash upon arrival. To catch the RR that would leave on the 9th @ 6:30 I believe and takes 4 hrs, right? From what I understand Seward has only 4 taxi's for about that so how would I get to the harbor to meet the Kenai Fjords boat by 11:30 WITH all my luggage? And that is the day of the 9th....would have to wait until the 10th to board the Radiance. So would have to find a hotel in Seward.

Aren't there tour companies in Anchorage that can show me wildlife with less hassle?

I currently have transfers from Anchorge to the ship already. So that would have to be cancelled...which I would think would be no biggie...but I'm looking for something easy since I'll have had a tiring travel day the day before.

Thank you Budget Queen, but do you have some suggestions out of Anchorage?

Many thanks!

Kathy

You mention wildlife as a priority, sorry Anchorage doesn't cut it. :) Kenai Fjords boat tours is the only answer. :)

I am giving you directives on how SIMPLE is could be, if you choose to consider this.

Just take the train on the 10th, your day of embarkment. Tour operators meet passengers at the train depot- and take you to their office, they will store your bags. You return at 5:30pm, and they transfer you to your ship. That is it.

You mention wildlife as a priority, sorry Anchorage doesn't cut it. :) Kenai Fjords boat tours is the only answer. :)

I am giving you directives on how SIMPLE is could be, if you choose to consider this.

Just take the train on the 10th, your day of embarkment. Tour operators meet passengers at the train depot- and take you to their office, they will store your bags. You return at 5:30pm, and they transfer you to your ship. That is it.

Very easy to do. Just take a taxi from the airport hotel to the train station. Also, luggage probably won't be an issue since when the railroad knows you are going on a cruise they will take your luggage and you won't even see it until you are on the ship. So you only have your carry on to worry about in Seward.

Worst case is you sleep on the train, but I kinda think you will enjoy the scenery way too much.

I think this is appropriate for the "Hate Anchorage" thread.

2012 Official Guide to Anchorage-Free Trip Planning Information

http://www.anchorage.net/guide-order?utm_source=alaska_magazine&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=general-fit

This was one of the tour operators that I was looking at for the day on the 9th that I have in Anchorage.

I will continue searching.

Many thanks to all.

Kathy

• 1 month later...
Ok, maybe hate is too strong a word, but it seems a lot of people on cc don't want to go to Anchorage.

Over the past month I've read comments such as, "There's nothing to do in Anchorage." "Anchorage isn't worth the trip." "Anchorage isn't really Alaska." and "Since you have a day to tour Anchorage, you should go to Seward."

Uuuuummmmm WHAT!!!! :confused:

Anchorage is the largest city in the state, half the population lives here. Trust me, 300,000 people are not just sitting here twiddling our thumbs.

I can't imagine someone going to New York and someone telling them not to go to NYC because it's not real New York. Or better yet, someone saying they have a day to spend in NYC and someone suggesting they spend that day in Baltimore. These comments baffle me.

As a resident of Anchorage I assure you there are TONS of things to do here and it is a beautiful and lovely city. You don't even need to travel to Seward to enjoy it. ;) We have miles of hiking trails, lakes, ponds, shopping, wonderful cusine, nightclubs, museums, festivals, markets... Believe it or not we also have the wildlife some of you travel 7 hours out of your way to see.

Last year we took some friends to Kincaid Park where we saw 8 moose in a 20 minute time period(all at a much closer distance than the ones you see in Denali) Also since moose in Anchorage are protected, they aren't nearly as skittish as those you see elsewhere. My friends live right under an Eagles nest near Westchester Lagoon, there have been bears spotted near Flattop, Potter's Marsh is full of birds, and the Cook inlet sometimes has whales....

I posted this once in another thread, but it's a picture in South Anchorage taken a week ago...at midnight. Not the greatest as it was taken with my I Phone, but you get the idea.

20120610_233849.jpg

And this was taken last night(solstice) also at midnight also with my junky I Phone. We were at Earthquake park(all the way west on Northern Lights blvd) and then went by the airport. The gate you see is the one telling people to stay away because that is the airport. There were 3 moose, but only 2 in this photo. No zoom used, we were this close. Could've gotten closer, but since we sometimes have moose in our own yard, the novelty has worn off a bit.

mid8.jpg

This photo was taken in October at Westchester Lagoon.

DSC01229.jpg

I invite all of you to come visit this beautiful city. It's a wonderful place and is most certainly real Alaska. There are tons of things to do. Stay for awhile, you may be surprised :)

I really loved Anchorage when i was there two years ago and I am looking forward to my next cruise/land tour next June. I will be in Anchorage again! I love Humpy's salmon dinner. The only iffy thing in Anchorage for me was in the park that is near the arts theater had a lot of people hanging out and looking a little shady in it and sleeping in it and everything. That made me just a titch nervous. But that is in any large city and I just really tought Anchorage was beautiful.

I really loved Anchorage when i was there two years ago and I am looking forward to my next cruise/land tour next June. I will be in Anchorage again! I love Humpy's salmon dinner. The only iffy thing in Anchorage for me was in the park that is near the arts theater had a lot of people hanging out and looking a little shady in it and sleeping in it and everything. That made me just a titch nervous. But that is in any large city and I just really tought Anchorage was beautiful.

That's why I tell people to stay out of downtown Anchorage. There is so much more to the city then that few square block area.

I first arrived as a visitor to Anchorage by air and looking out of the airport's windows took my breath away. I've never forgotten the overwhelming sensation of that land. It's like nothing else.

If you think of Alaska as a land without people or the wildlife is your focus, certainly a city probably won't meet your needs. If you think of Alaska as a human habitation and that interests you, Anchorage is a must. The original people of Alaska live in the city as well as outside it, and it is the major gathering place for Native Alaskans as a whole for many reasons. Try to visit Anchorage during the Quyana Alaska celebration. It's fun and beautiful.

My other thought is seeing the lasting effects of the huge 1964 Anchorage earthquake. Seeing the landscape that changed as a result will humble you.

Anchorage is its own place.

I first arrived as a visitor to Anchorage by air and looking out of the airport's windows took my breath away. I've never forgotten the overwhelming sensation of that land. It's like nothing else.

If you think of Alaska as a land without people or the wildlife is your focus, certainly a city probably won't meet your needs. If you think of Alaska as a human habitation and that interests you, Anchorage is a must. The original people of Alaska live in the city as well as outside it, and it is the major gathering place for Native Alaskans as a whole for many reasons. Try to visit Anchorage during the Quyana Alaska celebration. It's fun and beautiful.

My other thought is seeing the lasting effects of the huge 1964 Anchorage earthquake. Seeing the landscape that changed as a result will humble you.

Anchorage is its own place.

This is the common misconception about Anchorage. Get out of downtown and you'll find wildlife. This pic was taken along the costal trail in Kincaid Park less then 1 mile from the runway at Ted Stevens International Airport in Anchorage. I took it last Sunday evening.

moose13.jpg

I've had bear with babies and moose with babies outside my front door now (they've also had some bear maulings nearby, they've been getting into the trash lately)... and I just moved here in April. There's tons of wildlife around here just roaming around. I saw a few red foxes the other day too. We love all the restaurants, walking around downtown (but a lot of Anchorage is pretty sketchy in my opinion), the wildberry factory, wildlife conservatory isn't far, reindeer farm in Palmer etc.

There's fun things to do here, but there's cool things to do elsewhere too. We still have travel plans to Seward, Homer, Kenai and Denali for next summer. :) We're also doing an Alaskan cruise from Vancouver to Whittier.

Archived