Why did you start cruising??

Postman806

I started cruising because friends told me how awesome it was and how I would never think of another type of vacation again. Well, I wanted to see what all the hype was about so I finally took one....and I'm glad that I did! I'm very much attracted to cruising and have loved the ones that I have taken thus far; however, my friends were wrong about cruising being their only type of vacation. That concept may work for them but that doesn't work for me. While I love cruising, I have not omitted land vacations since there are places and sites where cruising cannot take you to.

I always wanted to go on a ship; my my parents never did. It sort of completed my "puzzle" as I used to be an avid model railroader (train layout took up a whole room of the house) and, for 37 years now a licensed airplane pilot (still fly to this day). So, trains, planes, ships and, of course I can drive a car!

So, when I was 27, in 1985, a friend and I decided to take a cruise. Costa Riviera in the eastern Caribbean. Loved it! Next was my honeymoon in '87 on Home Lines "Atlantic". Next was August '92 on QE2. That cruise set the stage for the future. I bought John Maxtone-Graham's book "The only way to cross", and read it while on the cruise. Then we hit the rock on the last night of the cruise, and I was hooked, and another 41 cruises followed that one, along with another dozen on QE2!

Hi Melody - we meet again -!!! glad you are still cruising!

This is a great thread -- We started cruising in 1988, Sovereign of the Seas when it was the largest ship in the world!- loved it and have been going on cruises every yr since except in 1996, which I won't let the hubby forget-we cruise twice a yr sometimes - love it - next we are booked for a B2B on the Allure - the largest ship in the RCCL fleet - compare that to the now-long-gone Sovereign!! Corkey Carol

love cruising!!

Hi Carol!!

I wondered if you were still around somewhere:);)! I would LOVE to go on the Allure or Oasis!!! Kinda pricy though! Can't wait for your review/take on it. I am hoping one of them will be in Ft. Lauderdale when we are there in October just to see it in person!

Melody:D

Back in the 80's my ex-husband and I lived in Southern California and wanted to take a trip down to Mexico. We explored several options and decided that a cruise was the best way to get a taste of Mexico. We cruised a very old Carnival ship called the Tropicale. We loved Mexico but really didn't like that ship at all. Still had fun though. We then thought land vacations might be a better option for us. But, my ex-husband happened to win Employee of the Quarter with his employer and the prize was a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean. We had three ships to choose from and chose Royal Caribbean's Sovereign of the Seas. It was one year old at the time. When we boarded that ship we finally felt we had what a true cruising experience was supposed to be. I've been hooked on cruising ever since..

Hi Melody - we meet again -!!! glad you are still cruising!

This is a great thread -- We started cruising in 1988, Sovereign of the Seas when it was the largest ship in the world!- loved it and have been going on cruises every yr since except in 1996, which I won't let the hubby forget-we cruise twice a yr sometimes - love it - next we are booked for a B2B on the Allure - the largest ship in the RCCL fleet - compare that to the now-long-gone Sovereign!! Corkey Carol

love cruising!!

Just reading back through the thread after I did my original post and saw yours. I sailed the Sovereign in 1989 and then again a few years later. My 1989 sailing on her is what made me know I loved cruising. She was such a beautiful ship and everything I thought cruising was supposed to be. I still remember her two story buffet area. I don't think I've seen a two story buffet area since her. Sure, lots of two story dining rooms but I haven't sailed a ship again with a buffet area quite like the Sovereign. Plus, I loved the litte cafe tables and chairs right outside the shops. I wish I could sail her again as she was in her glory days. I would even do it without the option for a balcony (since she didn't have any balcony cabins):):):)

Great thread. We did a Med cruise in 1992 for our 25th, on Princess and really enjoyed it, so we were hooked. After the cruise (it ended in Athens), we went to Santorini for a week. I was in serious cruise withdrawal and when the ship sailed into Santorini a few days later, DH nearly had to restrain me to keep me from getting back on just to see it again! We didn't have electronic sea passes in those days so I might just have succeeded! Glad to say we have succeeded in doing many more cruises since then and we enjoy every one of them. It's a great carefree type of vacation.

Just reading back through the thread after I did my original post and saw yours. I sailed the Sovereign in 1989 and then again a few years later. My 1989 sailing on her is what made me know I loved cruising. She was such a beautiful ship and everything I thought cruising was supposed to be. I still remember her two story buffet area. I don't think I've seen a two story buffet area since her. Sure, lots of two story dining rooms but I haven't sailed a ship again with a buffet area quite like the Sovereign. Plus, I loved the litte cafe tables and chairs right outside the shops. I wish I could sail her again as she was in her glory days. I would even do it without the option for a balcony (since she didn't have any balcony cabins):):):)

Hey Neighbor - well, almost - 6 hrs away from each other anyway - I am glad you share the passion we have for the Sovereign - sorry she is no longer with the fleet - saw her last in 2000 when she was in Nassau when we were on the Explorer - took some pics of her ... It was just so thrilling being on that LARGE ship during those yrs - our first cruise we were on the 3rd deck - we were so excited!! at least it was an OV - but on our 2nd cruise, we booked on the 9th deck, not balcony - you are right, I think they were only on the 10th, but we were still excited cuz we had a Bathtub and just down the 'street' from the Disco - we Loved the Disco -- when we stayed up til 2 or 3am- now? midnight and I am Cinderalla -- or is that Sleeping Beauty!! visit me on my Cruisers from CA thread - there are lots of So-Cal cruisers on that one - Carol

Hi Carol!!

I wondered if you were still around somewhere:);)! I would LOVE to go on the Allure or Oasis!!! Kinda pricy though! Can't wait for your review/take on it. I am hoping one of them will be in Ft. Lauderdale when we are there in October just to see it in person!

Melody:D

I will certainly let you know about the Allure - I am so excited about being on it for the first time especially with my East Coast Gang - we have cruised 4 times already since 2007 and that's why I decided to go in Dec, cuz of them... we were suppose to go in Oct but it'll be more fun with a group. I have gone on two X cruises now - Infinity in 2008 to Alaska and the brand new Silhouette when it was 'new' last Nov (with my East Coast Gang) -- beautiful ship the Silhouette... the Infinity? hmmmmmmmm... went when it was a little too worn out - catch me on Northern Ca Fun Cruisers or the M & M Cruise Clubhouse - i miss talking to you about cruises - Carol

Our first cruise was in 1991. DH's boss had him on the road 75% of the time and when he wasn't on the road, bossman was calling at all hours including on our vacations. DH called the company travel agent and told her that we wanted a vacation where cell phones would not work and where it would be near impossible for anyone to reach us. She put us on the Crown Princess in a balcony room. Talk about spoiled! We haven't sailed in anything less since then and now I've discovered suites!

We did tell the boss that if there was an emergency, he could contact DH's parents and they would decide if it was truly an emergency and if so, give him our number onboard ship. He did try to call once and D-FIL told him to go pound sand that the "emergency" could wait until we returned!

Our first cruise was in 1991. DH's boss had him on the road 75% of the time and when he wasn't on the road, bossman was calling at all hours including on our vacations. DH called the company travel agent and told her that we wanted a vacation where cell phones would not work and where it would be near impossible for anyone to reach us. She put us on the Crown Princess in a balcony room. Talk about spoiled! We haven't sailed in anything less since then and now I've discovered suites!

We did tell the boss that if there was an emergency, he could contact DH's parents and they would decide if it was truly an emergency and if so, give him our number onboard ship. He did try to call once and D-FIL told him to go pound sand that the "emergency" could wait until we returned!

Cute story - love you D-FIL -- he knows how to make a decision!!! Carol

We haven't cruised yet, but I've wanted to go on one for so long. Remember when Kathie Lee was doing Carnival commercials? That made me want to cruise. Fast forward many years, and two years of convincing DH that it's an extremely affordable Caribbean vacation, we're finally going!

We love beach vacations and warm weather, so once I showed him price comparisons of a cruise and a Sandals resort, he was all over the cruise.

Great questioin. Enjoyed reading all the replies.

Back in my twenties, I set three goals. 1. Do an ocean cruise. 2. Do something in the Alps. 3. Attend an Octoberfest in Munich.

Did the cruise in 1985 and 22 more since then. Did the Alps and Octoberfest in 1995 and visited Europe 9 times since.

As long as I can keep walking, we'll keep cruising and seeing other parts of the world.

Bibb

Fascinating repies. By 2003 we had tired of air travel, sold our own small yacht and had done two one week cruises around the Fijian Islands - found the cabins a bit claustrophobic but loved the open promenade deck. Discovered balcony cabins existed on ships coming down under quite by accident reading the travel section - we were sold after our first two week cruise.

Hey Neighbor - well, almost - 6 hrs away from each other anyway - I am glad you share the passion we have for the Sovereign - sorry she is no longer with the fleet - saw her last in 2000 when she was in Nassau when we were on the Explorer - took some pics of her ... It was just so thrilling being on that LARGE ship during those yrs - our first cruise we were on the 3rd deck - we were so excited!! at least it was an OV - but on our 2nd cruise, we booked on the 9th deck, not balcony - you are right, I think they were only on the 10th, but we were still excited cuz we had a Bathtub and just down the 'street' from the Disco - we Loved the Disco -- when we stayed up til 2 or 3am- now? midnight and I am Cinderalla -- or is that Sleeping Beauty!! visit me on my Cruisers from CA thread - there are lots of So-Cal cruisers on that one - Carol

Hi Carol,

Yep. Loved the Sovereign. She really was grand during that time. Can't remember which deck my ex and I were on for our first cruise. It was an oceanview cabin. My second cruise on her was a cruise I took my mom on. It was her first cruise. I splurged and we were on Deck 10. It wasn't considered a full suite but considered something similar to Princess' minisuites today. Such wonderful memories from that cruise. No balconies as she didn't have them. I think the first RCCL balconies came on the Monarch type class of ship right after her. I would sail her again without a balcony just for the sentimental value of that cruise with my mom.

I'll check out the cruisers from CA thread. Thanks for the heads up.

Great questioin. Enjoyed reading all the replies.

Back in my twenties, I set three goals. 1. Do an ocean cruise. 2. Do something in the Alps. 3. Attend an Octoberfest in Munich.

Did the cruise in 1985 and 22 more since then. Did the Alps and Octoberfest in 1995 and visited Europe 9 times since.

As long as I can keep walking, we'll keep cruising and seeing other parts of the world.

Bibb

Bibb, just read back through the thread again. Which of your 22 cruises were your favorites and why? Any particular ports you loved? I've only cruised Mexico and the Caribbean but have decided for the next few years to venture out and see some of the world via cruise ship. Would love to hear your thoughts.:)

Hi Carol,

Yep. Loved the Sovereign. She really was grand during that time. Can't remember which deck my ex and I were on for our first cruise. It was an oceanview cabin. My second cruise on her was a cruise I took my mom on. It was her first cruise. I splurged and we were on Deck 10. It wasn't considered a full suite but considered something similar to Princess' minisuites today. Such wonderful memories from that cruise. No balconies as she didn't have them. I think the first RCCL balconies came on the Monarch type class of ship right after her. I would sail her again without a balcony just for the sentimental value of that cruise with my mom.

I'll check out the cruisers from CA thread. Thanks for the heads up.

My hubby loved the Sovereign too and would go on her in a second - also for sentimental reasons - I remember the lounges were so BIG to me ! and yes, I guess it did not have balconies - couldn't afford it if it did anyway - we were lucky to get on Deck 9 the 2nd time we were on her - he loved skeet shooting from the back of the ship - and in those days, they actually had the full meal Midnight Buffets... every night!! I am now looking forward to the Allure - I don't know if it's our 36th or 37th cruise - mostly all on RCCL, one on Princess, 2 on Celebrity - oh, we sailed on the Silhouette when it was brand new last Nov - beautiful ship also - I get as excited when I embark on those ships as I did the first time in 1988 when I embarked on the Sovereign!!! Yes, please join us on the CA thread - and others also, you are all welcome! carol

Our first cruise was as a family to Bermuda from Boston in 1997 when our daughters were still in high schooll. We loved it!

The next year our daughters went away to college and at the same time, I became "boss" at my job. I had 20 days vacation a year. The first year, I did not use 9 days. The second year, I did not use 11 days. And when I did take a vacation day and stayed close to home, they tracked me down. One of my colleagues suggested that I just go some place where they couldn't find me and I figured that it was difficult for them to find me in the middle of the ocean or in the Caribbean. Combine that with wanting to get away from New Hampsha wintas and there you have it.

We are now retired and find that we can enjoy even longer cruises and also are now cruising twice a year. We are looking forward to our cruise to Hawaii in September and to the Southern Caribbean next January.

My girlfriend asked me to take a cruise with her when we were both 19 (back in 1967). I had only traveled once by myself on a roadtrip through FL with another girlfriend and had thoroughly enjoyed it so I said, "Yes!" It cost us $160 for a 5-day cruise out of Miami to Jamaica. We had an incredible time and I became addicted to cruising. I'm 65 and still cruising!;)

DH was a recruiter for the Army National Guard and it never failed that he would have to deal with something on every vacation, even on just a day trip to the now defunct Astroworld.

I started looking for an affordable place that would have no cell phone coverage. Went on a seven day out of Galveston on the Elation. We were hooked before we left the bay.

Now that he is retired from that career, we continue to cruise because it allows us to relax. Now it is my career that pokes into our private life, but on the ship, the phone goes off and into the safe!!

Another late bloomer here. Didn't start cruising until this year and now I'm hooked. I have a few friends who have cruised before and I never heard anything negative about it from any of them, plus I wanted to try something I had never done before and go somewhere I has never been before. Also, knowing that a lot of the extras (food, entertainment) are already taken care of makes budgeting easier.

In 2002 we had planned a trip to the Gulf Coast. Ginger D had never seen the ocean so we were going to Pensacola for a week. Her dad was having heart trouble when we were to go so we canceled. He passed away the following month. That fall I booked a cruise to Mexico out of Galveston just to let GD unwind. We were hooked. We just turned Platinum on Carnival last April, plus we have done one sailing each on Royal Carribean and Princess. We have sailed out of Miami, Mobile, and Galveston and are looking forward to going out of New Orleans.

I have wanted to sail to Alaska for 10 years but GD says we can go there when we are too old to snorkel.:D

BF and I had been together almost a year. We went to Missouri to see his grandparents/mom. Don't get me wrong-they are great people and it really was nice to meet them. However, this was our vacation together(which we had told them and BF told them to plan stuff for us) and we spent most of the time at their small house in the boonies watching Dancing with the Stars(not a reality tv fan at all).

Also-they wouldn't let us light off fireworks(after we bought a bunch-it is legal there not but not here), we respected their decision but were disappointed. We did end up going to a nice zoo and shopping the last day, which helped.

After that, BF let me pick the next vacation-so I went all out and picked a week long Caribbean cruise :D. A friend had been on one and I decided without really doing a lot of reasearch-did the research after we booked. Best decision ever!

I decided then if I'm on a family visit- it's all about everyone else, but when I'm on vacation-I'm going do what I wanna do!

Archived