Where in Hawaii to Dive & Who With...?

Johnsonclan

We will be taking to Hawaii arriving at our first port on October 1st and would like to take a 'resort dive'. We have done this twice in St. Thomas and loved it.:) (I know, just go get PADI certified, right? :rolleyes:We probably should but...) We would like to dive at least once during this cruise. We are not big on the cruise line excursion 'cattle calls'. Rather preferring the small boat or shore dive with a more intimate setting and limited number of folks joining us. We will likely be renting a car at each island as well.

We will be visiting Hilo, Honolulu, Nawiliwili (Kauai) and Lahaina (Maui)

Any advice as to specific island, location, dive shops, dive boat operators, beach to dive from, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your input...

I can't speak for all of the islands, but we dove the Kona Coast (Gold Coast) once and were not impressed at all. I researched beforehand where the best place to dive was and they definitely said the Gold Coast. We used the NCL' dive operator and it wasn't a cattle call at all. I think the Hawaiian islands just can't compare to the carribean. No coral, just volcanic rock and a few fish.

I recall my dive instructor had the same opinion of Hawaii and I wondered why. Now I know why.

I would stick to snorkeling and see the turtles at Maui and other snorkeling spots. We snorkled at Oahu on both the south and north part of the island.

I spent a week in Honolulu a few years back for work. I only had 1 day for exploring (I know, get all the way out there and you have 1 day to play) I picked going to Pearl Harbor. My very good friend Scott suggested that I go to Hanauma Bay on Oahu.

Unfortunately the bay is closed on certain days because it's a nature preserve, but I was informed that it was a spectacular spot to snorkel or dive. I found this website: http://hanaumabaydivetours.com/

From their website "We are authorized to take small groups snorkeling, snuba and scuba diving on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Tours are not allowed on weekends and Hawaii State Holidays. Hanauma Bay is closed on Tuesdays for environmental conservation."

Mahalo! :)

I can't speak for all of the islands, but we dove the Kona Coast (Gold Coast) once and were not impressed at all. I researched beforehand where the best place to dive was and they definitely said the Gold Coast. We used the NCL' dive operator and it wasn't a cattle call at all. I think the Hawaiian islands just can't compare to the carribean. No coral, just volcanic rock and a few fish.

I recall my dive instructor had the same opinion of Hawaii and I wondered why. Now I know why.

I would stick to snorkeling and see the turtles at Maui and other snorkeling spots. We snorkled at Oahu on both the south and north part of the island.

Where do you see the turtles in Maui? That would be interesting. At this point I think we will rent a car in each port and just play it by ear. Anybody have a 'Must See' that we could drive too?

Thanks for all of your input...

JClan...

My first time diving after getting certified seven years ago was in Kauai. I went with Bubbles Below (www.bubblesbelowkauai.com). They were fantastic....very patient with a new guy! The two sites that I dove were Hale O Honu and Happy Talk. Saw lots of turtles, a nurse shark, and heard a whale off in the distance! The dive masters have books/pictures on board of all the sea life that you may encounter. They take the time to discuss various fish, etc before you dive. I would definitely look into whether your travels would accomodate diving with them. Have fun!!

Where do you see the turtles in Maui? That would be interesting. At this point I think we will rent a car in each port and just play it by ear. Anybody have a 'Must See' that we could drive too?

Thanks for all of your input...

JClan...

Regarding the turtles, I think I was thinking of the Molokini crater which is a popular snorkel & dive spot, however, very busy. We didn't make it there, but instead rented a convertible and drove the Hana Hwy. It shouldn't be missed, there are amazing views, on this 50 mile drive with stops along the way for waterfalls, the blue hole and a black beach, among other things. We did it ourself, but be aware, it does take a while as the rode is rather narrow and busy. I think we spent 4-5 hours and we didn't even make it to the Seven Falls at the end. Not much to eat along the way, there is a concession at Hana that sells burgers, etc. $20/two.

I read up for you on the turtles and found this: Turtle Town is a name used to describe the densest population of turtles at a given time. Coral Gardens in west Maui is often considered the best place to find sea turtles. Another spot is the area in front of the Makena Beach & Golf Resort (Maui Prince.) Almost anywhere you go around Maui, you're bound to run into a large green sea turtle, whether you want to or not. They are protected and everywhere.

A previous poster mentioned snorkeling at Hanauma Bay -- it is a beautiful place with a great view and swimming, but crowded. We went in the afternoon on a weekend and didn't really find the snorkeling optimal. I would go early in the morning if you go there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hawaii waters are not as warm as in the Caribbeans. So there isn't as much coral growth. But the Kona coast defintely has very good diving, with the coral growth there, and lots of fish.

There are lots of other good diving in the Hawaiian islands. This year we'll be going to Molikini Crater, followed probably by a turtle visiting spot.

In Oahu, it was quite interesting to dive at west Oahu, at Makaha Canyon. During the day we saw lots of large turtles, some nurse sharks, octupus, etc.. Also did a night dive there, and saw lots of interesting critters.

It's different kind of diving than the Caribbeans. But just like in southern California, you won't find the Coral growth (like in the Carribeans) but you'll see lots of kelp, still see lots of fish, especially star fish. So don't think Caribbean has the best diving and others don't compare.

• 3 weeks later...

When you dock in Lahaina, I highly recommend Lahaina Divers-they have a tour to Molokini that is a MUST DIVE. Its also called the Hammerhead Shark dive. You have to be a somewhat experienced diver to do it and they require you to have or purchase a safety sausage, but it is the most incredible dive of my entire career. Diving at this time of year off Maui is difficult the later it gets in the day-most dives go off super early like 6:30 am-to avoid the waves and winds. If you're at all seasick, take meds before you head out. Even to Molokini crater, its choppy.

In Hilo, you're on the windward side of the island (also the rainy side) so your ability to dive depends on what happens weatherwise that day. Its a 50/50. We stayed in Hilo for 4 days & never even got a chance to dive. I'd wait to book till you're there.

Have an incredible time on your Hawaii cruise!

When you dock in Lahaina, I highly recommend Lahaina Divers-they have a tour to Molokini that is a MUST DIVE. Its also called the Hammerhead Shark dive.

The hammerhead dive is off of Molakai not Molokini and the trip back can be very rough due to the trade winds.

http://www.lahainadivers.com/content/hammerhead-diving

The Molokini back wall is also a good dive but on the outside of the crater as opposed to inside of it.

Diving in Hawaii is very different than the Caribbean. The water is colder and there are not as much coral and sponges. The only worthwhile dive IMO is the Manta Ray night dive from Kona which cannot be done unless you would be in port overnight. I do think the snoreling is very good.

There are plenty of places to snorkel and see turtles. On the Big Island just south of Kona there is Kahaluu or two step next to the Place of Refuge National Park, both an easy drive if you are renting a car. If you want to drive further south you can go to the black sand beach at Punalu’u.

On Kauai I have seen quite a few turtles snorkeling at Poipu. There are usually seals on the beach in Poipu. I have snorkeled Molokini and not seen any turtles.

I find Kauai to be the prettiest island. You can see everything but the Napali Coast by driving around.

One of my favorite activities is helicopter sightseeing over Kauai or Hawaii. Over Kauai you can see the beautifil Napali Coast, Waimea canyon, and tons of waterfalls. On the Big Island, the volcano is the highlight but probably best from Hilo rather than Kona; you are further away when you leave from Kona and won't get as much time over the volcano.

Hope this helps!

Archived