Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

[ATTACH]365514[/ATTACH][ATTACH]365515[/ATTACH]

The new machine the first one is without the embroidery part and the second one has the embroidery attachment now to get through the 200 and some page manual

Congratulations! What a beautiful baby. Enjoy. It takes time to learn a new machine. I got a new one last year and I am still learning it.

I got my regular sewing machine about 15 years ago and I still have to refer to the manual at times. Especially if I haven't used the machine for awhile. I just chalk it up to getting old. :D :eek:

There is a lot to learn on the new machine. Can't wait for all my threads and extra stuff come in. They are sending the thread and stabilizer separate. That should be here on Tues. So I have this weekend to learn the machine and maybe go to Joanns or Hobby Lobby and get some thread to try to embroider on it.

Have a great weekend,

Gerry

I got my regular sewing machine about 15 years ago and I still have to refer to the manual at times. Especially if I haven't used the machine for awhile. I just chalk it up to getting old. :D :eek:

There is a lot to learn on the new machine. Can't wait for all my threads and extra stuff come in. They are sending the thread and stabilizer separate. That should be here on Tues. So I have this weekend to learn the machine and maybe go to Joanns or Hobby Lobby and get some thread to try to embroider on it.

Have a great weekend,

Gerry

You will also need the embroidery thread for the bobbin. They sell it in white, sometimes you may find it in a color. But white is fine, no one see the back.

Stabilizers

https://abc-machine-embroidery.com/%2FHow-to-Use-Machine-Embroidery-Stabilizers-W7.aspx

http://appliquecafeblog.com/stabilizer-101/

Edited by geocruiser

Good morning Ladies,

I saw a blog this morning that I just have to share with y'all. I hope you enjoy it but be prepared you will need some tissues.

http://mellysews.com/2015/07/9-things-sewists-do-that-no-one-understands.html#_a5y_p=4101372

I laughed so hard that I was in tears.

Have a great day sewing everyone,

Gerry

Good morning Ladies,

I saw a blog this morning that I just have to share with y'all. I hope you enjoy it but be prepared you will need some tissues.

http://mellysews.com/2015/07/9-things-sewists-do-that-no-one-understands.html#_a5y_p=4101372

I laughed so hard that I was in tears.

Have a great day sewing everyone,

Gerry

That is sew funny. I have way too much fabric, too many sewing machines I also hide my scissors from my DH. One time I caught him scaling a fish with them. New pair for me that day!

• 2 weeks later...

I've just started sewing again and took a couple of homemade blouses & a dress on our just- completed cruise. I decided to take the plunge (pun intended) and make a bathing suit for our next cruise. I just downloaded the Bombshell Bathing Suit pattern from Closet Case. Now to find some fun, unique fabric that has magical abilities to flatten my stomach!

Anyone have tips on sewing swimsuits? I do have a serger.

I've just started sewing again and took a couple of homemade blouses & a dress on our just- completed cruise. I decided to take the plunge (pun intended) and make a bathing suit for our next cruise. I just downloaded the Bombshell Bathing Suit pattern from Closet Case. Now to find some fun, unique fabric that has magical abilities to flatten my stomach!

Anyone have tips on sewing swimsuits? I do have a serger.

Wow! I have never tried to sew a swimsuit. What color fabric do you think you will get?

Bombshell Swimsuit

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/08/how-to-sew-a-swimsuit/

http://www.sewmamasew.com/2014/07/swimsuit-sewing-tips-from-seamstress-erin/

Wow! I have never tried to sew a swimsuit. What color fabric do you think you will get?

Bombshell Swimsuit

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/08/how-to-sew-a-swimsuit/

http://www.sewmamasew.com/2014/07/swimsuit-sewing-tips-from-seamstress-erin/

Thank you for the link to the blog!

I want a really colourful print. The ones I can find in stores are all the same! I found this website with wonderful fabrics. I think the Marakesh print is fun!

http://http://thefabricfairy.com/fabrics/by-type/swimsuit/printed-swimsuit-fabric/paisley-swimsuit-fabric.html

I think it will be a challenge, but why not :) I'm remembering that sewing keeps me from snacking!

Edited by JanineM

I've never made a swim suit (though we did just book a cruise and I want a new one) I have made many skating dresses since my middle-aged body isn't built like the prepubescent that most off-the-rack dresses fit. Jalie has the best selection of patterns. (I know you aren't looking for a pattern) They recently collaborated with a company that specializes in stretch fabric. I can't vouch for the quality, but they have tons of cool fabric. It might be worth a shot to find something different.

https://funkifabrics.com/blog/item/Our-exciting-Jalie-Patterns-collaboration/128

ImageUploadedByForums1446957230.934459.jpg.f15cb589f5f49ae602d7d117ec9e738a.jpg

My granddaughters where here today and wanted to sew with their machines so they made skirts while I helped them and did part of the little ones green skirt. It's amazing how fast a 5 yr old looses attention to sewing. [emoji3]

The other 2 pics are a couple of the things I have made with the new machine. I am in love with that machine!!!

Have a great sewing weekend,

Gerry

ImageUploadedByForums1446957184.867729.jpg.7cb64c0c22ea9c5463970d5cab5ccdc6.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1446957196.517562.jpg.0405a4803c88d4345e929d848e61f181.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1446957213.866547.jpg.60fe12c5f18707dbedfe620893ef4f99.jpg

[ATTACH]367775[/ATTACH][ATTACH]367776[/ATTACH][ATTACH]367777[/ATTACH][ATTACH]367778[/ATTACH]

My granddaughters where here today and wanted to sew with their machines so they made skirts while I helped them and did part of the little ones green skirt. It's amazing how fast a 5 yr old looses attention to sewing. [emoji3]

The other 2 pics are a couple of the things I have made with the new machine. I am in love with that machine!!!

Have a great sewing weekend,

Gerry

Gerry,

The skirts are very cute. It is nice to have granddaughters to sew with and for. The embroideries are really nice. Did they take long to do?

The skirts took about 5 hours total but that included a lot of rethreading Mali's machine and ripping out many mistakes. (all part of learning when you are only 10).

The embroidery took about an hour and a half to make the Bronco helmet and about an hour to make Olaf. The average pattern that I have made takes at least 30 min. depending on how many color changes you have and how many mistakes I make.

I have been having a ball with the new machine and Mali loves her little sewing machine. Chloe would rather play instead of sewing so we need to find some really simple things for her.

Have a great sewing day,

Gerry

I had a real wonderful :( sewing project today. My DH's old, old terry cloth bathrobe was missing its pocket. Who knows where it went and how long ago. So, I used a wash cloth, cut it to size, serge the edges and made a pocket. He must have had this robe at least 30 years. But he like it.

I had a real wonderful :( sewing project today. My DH's old, old terry cloth bathrobe was missing its pocket. Who knows where it went and how long ago. So, I used a wash cloth, cut it to size, serge the edges and made a pocket. He must have had this robe at least 30 years. But he like it.

Most of the time the old and tired items are the ones that repair the easiest. Tom has several things that he has had since we were married that he will never get rid of. I just have to repair them. LOL

Gerry

Question for all sewers.

How do you make the time to sew? I find it hard to get free time. Tomorrow I am going to sew before I do anything. It seems crazy that home and family and health takes up so much time.

What time of day do you sew?

Being retired and not having an kids at home (outside of a very spoiled Chi-pom and an old stubborn cat) I have a lot of free time to sew.

I clean the house one or 2 days every week. I also cook dinner every night and clean the kitchen.

But with it only being the 2 of us the house stays clean most of the time.

I sew a lot of times in the evening after Tom gets home from work. He has his computer on and the T.V. and his tablet and wouldn't know if I was there or not. (Not complaining-he has a very high stress job with the govt. so he needs that decompressing time.)

When my kids were younger and when I was babysitting the grands everyday it was a lot harder to find time to sew. So I definitely understand. I just really like being retired and having my time to me.

Happy sewing everyone,

Gerry

What a clever fix! It's so gratifying to rescue favorite old garments like that. :)

When to sew? It all depends. Hubby laughs at me as I am cursing up a storm taking stitches out of a goof (hmm honey, you sew to relax?!) I do not sew when I am tired, make more mistakes then. I may only get a seam or two done at a time. I set a timer beside my machine and when it beeps, then I need to finish that seam and get off to work or do what task is next. Right now we are doing some renovations around the house, so most of the time I am not sewing...... And I have planed table runners for Christmas gifts for the girls in the family, I better get back to sewing! :)

Question for all sewers.

How do you make the time to sew? I find it hard to get free time. Tomorrow I am going to sew before I do anything. It seems crazy that home and family and health takes up so much time.

What time of day do you sew?

I work full-time so have to take care of the usual household chores, plus I'm making exercise a priority and I also write a blog which makes it tough to fit in sewing. Right now I have a list of projects that I want to complete by Christmas, so if I want to get those projects done I know that I need to set aside some time a couple of evenings a week, plus a weekend afternoon.

Someone told me that I should think of sewing as a treat - and that has helped. It's become a reward for me. If I can quickly vacuum, I can sew for half an hour! I also do my tv watching when I sew. It really helps that I now have a spare room where I sew. I don't need to spend time tidying it up or putting things away. I just unplug the iron and close the door.

Tonight I'm going to try to finish a jumper that I started last week. But I have the fiddly stuff left - hand stitching and hemming, so that may be a challenge. Which means I'd better get off the computer and get to work!

• 2 weeks later...

I just love all your replies about how to take the time to sew.

TNGALOHA,

I am retired too. But I think I spend way too much time doing cooking and cleaning. Most likely to much cooking!! But we love to eat. I find that I mess up to much and then my house looks like it through up! So, I am all ways cleaning up. I don't like to see anything let out. So I guess I should put things a way as soon as I am done. But I get too tired.

redlady62,

Being tired is one of the reason I don't get as much sewing done. I also make mistakes when sewing when tired. Then I yell at :)the machine!! Good idea with the timer.

JanineM,

I like thinking sewing as a treat. It will be a great way to reward myself for doing house work!

JDinWA,

my Dh has been wearing his bathrobe with the new pocket!

Edited by geocruiser

I just treated my self to some sewing today. I a making another Kimono top to wear on formal night.

http://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-Sewing-Pattern-4134-XXS-XS-S-M/dp/B000MU1NHC

Each side of the front made from two main pieces. I need to match the print. I did follow this method. It work great to match it up.

http://sewaholic.net/how-to-match-prints-along-seams/

Then to sew the pieces together I pressed back the seam allowance on one piece and matched it to the other cut piece. Pinned it, and then based the two pieces together making sure that it matched up. It came out great when sewn together.

I think I want to make a new swim suit for our next cruise. I need to get my sewing friend to help me tailor to adjust the pattern for my middle aged belly. Dang, I wish I could buckle down and lose some weight.

I have never made a swim suite. It must be hard to get a good fit. but once you do fit it, it will be better that nay swimsuit in the store.