Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

RedHeadTexan,

your sewing looks like the clothes were store brought! You are doing a wonderful job. It is great to be able to make your own. Nobody else will be wearing the same as you. Thats waht I like, home made is one of a kind clothing.

RedHeadTexan,

your sewing looks like the clothes were store brought! You are doing a wonderful job. It is great to be able to make your own. Nobody else will be wearing the same as you. Thats waht I like, home made is one of a kind clothing.

Thank you. I am tall and curvy, so finding athletic wear was tough in RTW. I love being able to customize the fit and then find some awesome prints in spandex. My fellow rowers love my clothes and they are always unique. I recently started making tank tops for rowing and the real world/cruises. I also patterned a pair of harem pants last night and the "muslin" came out pretty good. Just need to either cuff or hem the bottoms and then they are done. I have learned the hard way to never use my prints the first time I am making a garment.

Lisa

Thank you. I am tall and curvy, so finding athletic wear was tough in RTW. I love being able to customize the fit and then find some awesome prints in spandex. My fellow rowers love my clothes and they are always unique. I recently started making tank tops for rowing and the real world/cruises. I also patterned a pair of harem pants last night and the "muslin" came out pretty good. Just need to either cuff or hem the bottoms and then they are done. I have learned the hard way to never use my prints the first time I am making a garment.

Lisa

I have wanted to make a pair of harem pants. What pattern are you going to use? I think that they would be comfy pants to wear.

I have found my self make the same pattern for pants over and over again.

https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8584

Now I have made two pairs of these pants. I like the pockets on them. They have front pleats, very comfortable to wear.

https://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m7131

I ended up making my own pattern for the harem pants. I started with the pattern from an a-line knit skirt, then extended the line down to mid to lower calf. Used my curved ruler for the arc. I will cuff the legs to make them hit my ankles. Here is a picture of the pattern I made...ignore the crazy lines.

86cea1188323d41c7a96ce817751f999.jpg

Cat food cans make great pattern weights. [emoji4]

Lisa

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I ended up making my own pattern for the harem pants. I started with the pattern from an a-line knit skirt, then extended the line down to mid to lower calf. Used my curved ruler for the arc. I will cuff the legs to make them hit my ankles. Here is a picture of the pattern I made...ignore the crazy lines.

86cea1188323d41c7a96ce817751f999.jpg

Cat food cans make great pattern weights. [emoji4]

Lisa

WOW! I would never know how to do that. Would love to see them when done.

WOW! I would never know how to do that. Would love to see them when done.

Hopefully I can finish them up this morning and the sleeveless blouse I have been working on too. Yesterday afternoon, after coaching a Learn to Row class, I cut out 5 tank tops, banding, and matching head bands. I know l will not get all of them finished today, but at least I am making a dent into my fabric stash. After that I am making 3 maxi skirts for the cruise in a few weeks (I will probably start those next weekend).

Lisa

Not allowed to buy more fabric until I complete the 10 items on my sewing list. :rolleyes:

So a 10 minute task to add cuffs to the harem pants took over an hour. I sewed the first cuff inside out. Ugh. After picking the stitches out, and sewing the cuffs correctly...they are finished. [emoji106]

879b431a2ab40506b5af399e430b7ebd.jpg

fdc960f99d33ab327dae67cfdbfe4345.jpg

7ec1b7e12a843a62906ba914eab4a2c9.jpg

Lisa

Very nice Lisa. You did an amazing job on them. I remember last year when you did some restyling of some clothing and then you brought your serger. WOW! You have become a GREAT sewer.

I just came back from the clothing store and was looking at dresses. I did put them back on the rack. I said to myself, I did not want to have the same dress that 20 or so other woman in my town would be wearing.

I have to get sewing more than I am doing.

Thank for the pictures. Keep on sewing.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Renee,

Check out patternreview.com. Loads of great sewing information and the people who post on the forums are very generous with sewing advice. There are also plenty of blogs and videos out there. Just search on whatever you're particularly interested in.

Thanks for the info. It turns out it was one of the sites I signed on to when I was looking for info on a new sewing machine. Now I will have to start reading it.

Lisa,

Your clothing looks great. It's nice to be able to make things you want in the fabrics you like. Keep posting thinks you make. I like seeing them. I ended up buying the Husqvarna Designer Ruby Deluxe. There are so many things I need to learn about it and sewing :D. Looking forward to making me something soon. Hopefully after this cruise and before the next one. I think I will start with a simple sundress so I can get some practice.

I like your fabric weights. They are on my list to buy, but now I am going to take them off. We have plenty cans of cat food. It's one less thing to store.

Edited by ReneeFLL

Lisa,

Your clothing looks great. It's nice to be able to make things you want in the fabrics you like. Keep posting thinks you make. I like seeing them. I ended up buying the Husqvarna Designer Ruby Deluxe. There are so many things I need to learn about it and sewing :D. Looking forward to making me something soon. Hopefully after this cruise and before the next one. I think I will start with a simple sundress so I can get some practice.

I like your fabric weights. They are on my list to buy, but now I am going to take them off. We have plenty cans of cat food. It's one less thing to store.

YOu have a WONDERFUL machine. I have three Viking machines. They are wonderful. I brough the Husqvarna Designer Royale two years ago. I just love it.

There is a lot to learn about your machine. This link is a great way to get to know your machine.

https://sewingmastery.com/husqvarna-viking-ruby-royale/

The videos start from unpacking to embroidering.

Lisa,

You bought a great machine! I love my Husqvarna, it is such a work horse. I am in the middle of sewmagedon this weekend. I am working on more sleeveless tunics for the cruise. After I finished up everything on my sewing list last weekend I realized that everything was prints. OMG, I had no solid tops to go with all the maxi's I made. So, 18 yards of fabric later, I am making 9 tunics. 5 are cut out and side and shoulder seams sewn, 1 now has the binding attached, and 3 fabrics are sitting on my kitchen table waiting to be cut. I bought those 3 yesterday, so they just went through the washer and dryer last night. The binding on the neck and sleeves takes the most time for me. Between the careful cutting, ironing, serging, then stitch it down so it stays flat...it just takes time. Wish me luck...I will post pictures later this weekend. :eek:

Lisa

All that is left to do is binding and hemming. 753ebff16e57f71a07f6066304e087de.jpg

At least I will have lots of options to pick from when packing.

Lisa

WOW!!! I love the colors. The fabric looks wonderful. It looks like wrinkle free fabric. They should go with everything in your closet!

I finished up all of the tops and figured out my evening outfits. 85% of my non-swim clothing for the cruise is made by me. I am really proud of all the work I have done. I will try to remember to have Walt take pictures of me in my outfits on the Dawn.

I definitely want to make a swim cover-up for our November cruise. And maybe a few more skorts. I simply ran out of time and fabric to do those before we leave. Plus, I have a full week of rowing and coaching. :D

Lisa

I finished up all of the tops and figured out my evening outfits. 85% of my non-swim clothing for the cruise is made by me. I am really proud of all the work I have done. I will try to remember to have Walt take pictures of me in my outfits on the Dawn.

I definitely want to make a swim cover-up for our November cruise. And maybe a few more skorts. I simply ran out of time and fabric to do those before we leave. Plus, I have a full week of rowing and coaching. :D

Lisa

You did a lot of sewing. Everything will look beautiful on you. 85% of your clothing being made by you is wonderful. It is so nice to wear clothing that you made. Home made clothing is one of a kind, no one else will have the same fabric and patterns made as you do.

Very nice Lisa! Have a great time on your cruise.

I have been busy sewing for our upcoming cruise in Dec. I purchased a long gown but I did all the hand embellishing on it.

I just finished (well all but the hem) a caftan dress and have 3 more that I want to make. I am going to make one out of just lace and longer for a beach cover-up. I still have 3 pairs of cargo shorts to make and some summery tops. Hopefully I can get them done in the next couple of months so I can send them on ahead to Italy and have them when I get there.

Hope everyone has a great sewing weekend.

Gerry

Boarding the Dawn in a few hours. Here are some of my outfits made by me (scarves are store bought).

5201bc880901592f88900383005c65b3.jpg

49134b988faba9b32d7aba27a9c6465f.jpg

f65eece25ffb1cc07708352efbf35d1e.jpg

7936b8049ce50d85a834a28da8766074.jpg

Lisa

Everything is beautiful.. The fabric and color choices are wonderful. have a great cruise and enjoy wearing your clothes.

Gorgeous Lisa, enjoy.

Well I have been sewing all weekend on mug rugs and this dress for casual night.

[.URL]IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/

20170410/2eb0d6e084a01a1b7d501f2a5df1f7e3.jpg[/img]15dbcf19d153a5498c9c59ad95ca1c13.jpg

I have never sewen silk brocade before. Quite an experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by TNGALOHA

Gorgeous Lisa, enjoy.

Well I have been sewing all weekend on mug rugs and this dress for casual night.

[.URL]IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/

20170410/2eb0d6e084a01a1b7d501f2a5df1f7e3.jpg[/img]15dbcf19d153a5498c9c59ad95ca1c13.jpg

I have never sewen silk brocade before. Quite an experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Your dress is beautiful. What problems did you run into while sewing on the brocade? I have some to make a long dress/gown for a cruise, and I have never sewn on brocade before.

Your mug rugs are so cute. I think I would also make a little purse using the ship patterns. Very cute!!

What is a "mug rug?"

It is like a coaster only larger and more padded. I topped mine with vinyl so that our drinks won't ruin the table tops on the ship.

The problems I ran into is that the silk brocade was very slippery and wouldn't stay in my clips. They material was hard to cut out also. It might have helped if the pattern I got on the internet would have had sewing instructions with it. But I made it thru and learned a few things along the way. I am definitely going to make more of this pattern but in a different material. My next one will be a long one of the pattern (if I can figure out how to make the pattern longer) and I want to make one for a beach cover-up. Guess I have my work cut out for me in the near future.

Happy sewing all you sewists,

Gerry

The problems I ran into is that the silk brocade was very slippery and wouldn't stay in my clips. They material was hard to cut out also. It might have helped if the pattern I got on the internet would have had sewing instructions with it. But I made it thru and learned a few things along the way. I am definitely going to make more of this pattern but in a different material. My next one will be a long one of the pattern (if I can figure out how to make the pattern longer) and I want to make one for a beach cover-up. Guess I have my work cut out for me in the near future.

Happy sewing all you sewists,

Gerry

I had a problem with a very slippery fabric while sewing. When sewing a seam together, the top fabric would move a little, so that when I finished the seam the top fabric would not be even with the bottom fabric. The ladies at Viking told me to use my walking foot. And it worked. Both top and bottom fabric came out even.

I am lucky that the ladies a Viking are very talented and able to help me.