Jump to content

Sewing Clothes For A Cruise


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Pcur, what a gift for seeing the potential in something 🙂 It turned out great!

 

Thanks.  It "looked" like it would work from the picture of the original jacket, but it required nothing but cutting off the "uglies", and and stitching the bottom.  It was unbelievably easy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We haven't done any cruising in a few years :classic_sad: But our last vacation took up quite a bit of sewing time! ~~~Took our oldest daughter and her best friend to Paris for graduation last May and went to an 18th c themed costume ball at Versailles while there. We had the whole trip planned and then found out about this at the last minute and decided WHY NOT??? So I had 2.5 months to whip up 3 "robes à la français" and 1 men's 4 piece suit, with underpinnings and accessories. 100% worth it. 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, mommareds said:

We haven't done any cruising in a few years :classic_sad: But our last vacation took up quite a bit of sewing time! ~~~Took our oldest daughter and her best friend to Paris for graduation last May and went to an 18th c themed costume ball at Versailles while there. We had the whole trip planned and then found out about this at the last minute and decided WHY NOT??? So I had 2.5 months to whip up 3 "robes à la français" and 1 men's 4 piece suit, with underpinnings and accessories. 100% worth it. 😁

 

PICTURES, PLEASE???!!!  What a great project!

Link to post
Share on other sites

We haven't done any cruising in a few years :classic_sad: But our last vacation took up quite a bit of sewing time! ~~~Took our oldest daughter and her best friend to Paris for graduation last May and went to an 18th c themed costume ball at Versailles while there. We had the whole trip planned and then found out about this at the last minute and decided WHY NOT??? So I had 2.5 months to whip up 3 "robes à la français" and 1 men's 4 piece suit, with underpinnings and accessories. 100% worth it. 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I mean, twist my arm if you must :classic_biggrin: I'm sure I could dig up 1 or 2 photos...or 1000....my daughter is in the cream, her BFF is in the red and gold. The first shot isn't great in terms of showing their outfits but I just love the look being exchanged between my husband and daughter :classic_love: Very few pics of me (in the green) bc I was the designated photographer lol. Some of the dresses have since been worn again by my daughter's friends who went to a ren faire this summer and I was happy to see them get more use. It was an amazing experience!

20180528_230305.jpg

20180528_194013.jpg

20180528_191608.jpg

20180529_011248.jpg

Edited by mommareds
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, mommareds said:

Well, I mean, twist my arm if you must :classic_biggrin: I'm sure I could dig up 1 or 2 photos...or 1000....my daughter is in the cream, her BFF is in the red and gold. The first shot isn't great in terms of showing their outfits but I just love the look being exchanged between my husband and daughter :classic_love: Very few pics of me (in the green) bc I was the designated photographer lol. Some of the dresses have since been worn again by my daughter's friends who went to a ren faire this summer and I was happy to see them get more use. It was an amazing experience!

 

 

 

What lovely costumes. Must have been so much fun to sew. Did you also do all the ribbon rose work on your dress from scratch? So talented.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2019 at 10:29 AM, pcur said:

Mommareds:  Oh, WOW!!  Incredible sewing!

 

How did you do the paniers?  Extra fabric, built them?  Amazing costumes.  

 

Yes I made actually 4 sets of paniers-- the first set all 3 of us used for allllll the fittings was worn out by "go time" so I made 3 new sets. And although that's everyone's biggest question (how did you get them there?!?!) It was very easy. The paniers folded in half and collapsed. Everything we wore packed in 1 checked bag. :classic_biggrin: of course, 2 of those sets of paniers got left behind at CDG when we were overweight coming home. It was a choice between them or the bottles of wine...:classic_rolleyes:

@pacruise804 thank you!

Edited by mommareds
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mommareds said:

 

Yes I made actually 4 sets of paniers-- the first set all 3 of us used for allllll the fittings was worn out by "go time" so I made 3 new sets. And although that's everyone's biggest question (how did you get them there?!?!) It was very easy. The paniers folded in half and collapsed. Everything we wore packed in 1 checked bag. :classic_biggrin: of course, 2 of those sets of paniers got left behind at CDG when we were overweight coming home. It was a choice between them or the bottles of wine...:classic_rolleyes:

@pacruise804 thank you!

 

That's pretty damn amazing!  1 suitcase!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I spent the day converting my home office into my sewing studio.  Added the cabinet for my fabric stash...yes I am a fabric hoarder.  I also moved my parents old kitchen table into the room.  This will be my cutting table.  The table was given to my grandparents as a wedding gift in the 1930’s, and they gave it to my parents when they got married.  My mom passed away a few weeks ago, but before she died she gave me the table.  She was excited that I would treasure it and use it for my sewing.  

 

As you can see, I am sharing the space with my cats.

06B01226-B1F9-40C5-9486-8F34117742F2.jpeg

83B7D640-F1FA-4D0C-BC6D-730A3EE5424E.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RedHeadTexan said:

I spent the day converting my home office into my sewing studio.  Added the cabinet for my fabric stash...yes I am a fabric hoarder.  I also moved my parents old kitchen table into the room.  This will be my cutting table.  The table was given to my grandparents as a wedding gift in the 1930’s, and they gave it to my parents when they got married.  My mom passed away a few weeks ago, but before she died she gave me the table.  She was excited that I would treasure it and use it for my sewing.  

 

As you can see, I am sharing the space with my cats.

06B01226-B1F9-40C5-9486-8F34117742F2.jpeg

83B7D640-F1FA-4D0C-BC6D-730A3EE5424E.jpeg

Very sorry to hear that your mom passed away.  Having her kitchen table in your sewing room is wonderful.  I am sure many a great meal was made and shared at her table.  I know you will think of her every time you use her table.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, redlady62 said:

Good day everyone! Fabulous period costumes! Just discovered that Burda Style has a free sew-a-long for the month of April for a track jacket This is the pattern but if sign up for the “class” the pattern is included.

 

Have a great day,

Sue

 

 

Hi Sue,

 

This is really a great jacket.   I have never done a online class.  I can't do one in the next few months because of a move we are making.  But in the future I  think I will.

Edited by geocruiser
spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided to refashion a bikini top that is too big for me.  I started with seam ripping the cups very carefully.  I was able to save the straps and back to use with the new front.  I made a ton of progress today, and just have to sew the pieces together.  I am thinking of using the bright color as the band below the bust.

 

I may put the bright color in the lacing on the hip to incorporate it into the bottoms.

 

Lisa

 

2F69F8A8-CE0B-40F9-BF8B-60E5776C5C56.thumb.jpeg.72a4e60ffb675a8c9cde07bbed1f19de.jpeg

0E422384-BE0D-44E1-8851-6EF3AACFFE0D.jpeg

9ADC5F7F-49F6-419C-9B10-6488F76D9FAE.jpeg

A4307A55-78D5-43F8-8351-0B1AD06BC68B.jpeg

32800733-D69F-4A8F-901D-0A7A6D2138EB.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RedHeadTexan said:

I decided to refashion a bikini top that is too big for me.  I started with seam ripping the cups very carefully.  I was able to save the straps and back to use with the new front.  I made a ton of progress today, and just have to sew the pieces together.  I am thinking of using the bright color as the band below the bust.

 

I may put the bright color in the lacing on the hip to incorporate it into the bottoms.

 

Lisa

 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=b5ec9cff05c763772F69F8A8-CE0B-40F9-BF8B-60E5776C5C56.thumb.jpeg.72a4e60ffb675a8c9cde07bbed1f19de.jpeg

0E422384-BE0D-44E1-8851-6EF3AACFFE0D.jpeg

9ADC5F7F-49F6-419C-9B10-6488F76D9FAE.jpeg

A4307A55-78D5-43F8-8351-0B1AD06BC68B.jpeg

32800733-D69F-4A8F-901D-0A7A6D2138EB.jpeg

WOW!  You are doing a great job.  I would not know where to begin.  I can't wait to see the results. I will be off line fore about a week.  Will be looking for you progress when I get back on like.

Link to post
Share on other sites

All that is left is the band at the bottom.  I decided that I did not care for the white stripe down the middle.  The top tie is the tie from the original top.  The bottom tie is made from a scrap.  The back and straps are intact from the original top.  This was a tough challenge, but I am happy with the results.

61EAB701-13FF-43B0-B76E-D7F287242E43.jpeg

55BC28D3-2BA6-4319-A3E9-19DAB0D63732.jpeg

296BC85D-03B4-45D1-A19F-ED6AC311E25C.jpeg

E40801DF-2AD3-492C-80AF-E58CDFBE1C5D.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2020
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...