Jump to content

Sewing Clothes For A Cruise


Recommended Posts

On 4/25/2020 at 6:38 PM, geocruiser said:

Lisa,

Happy to see that you are back..Did you make the beautiful dress?  I love that your masks match your outfits.

 

Maria

I drafted the pattern and made the dress.  I am very happy at how it came out.  I spent yesterday sewing another dress from that pattern.  Still have to hem it, but it should be finished sometime this week.  

 

Lisa

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Y'all, I turned in my last assignment yesterday and pulled out my machine today! I only made masks for my parents, but I sewed today. I also cleaned and organized my sewing closet. So. Much. Fabric. I can't wait to do some more sewing. No excuses, I have plenty of time since we're still under lockdown. Even when we come off, I'll stay home because I have chronic lung disease and don't want to expose myself unnecessarily.

 

And, I was un-furloughed at work! Perfect timing--I got to finish the semester and the program. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I decided to take tote bags using an old Holland America canvas bag for the pocket.  I made one for my sister, and am starting mine today.  I started off deconstructing the HAL bag, then dying it.  I dyed Stacy’s orange, and will dye mine fushia.  I made sure to serge the edges before dying to minimize the fraying.  I really liked how Stacy’s came out.

 

Lisa

 

6E5CBC25-6D7B-438B-8FE8-B0F0E83F53D7.jpeg

635BD627-A1D0-4F84-8068-6CEC66FB33FE.jpeg

A6BF0E15-E235-4BE1-8E0C-65BEE5A445C9.jpeg

3BF581DE-4C12-4F82-91EF-E3D760666CC9.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been officing from home since March 16th.  I will be back in the office every other week starting June 8th.  This week I decided to search my scraps and make coordinating neck gaiters.  I will be styling at the office. 

 

Lisa

25308891-E504-4379-9205-25999A15D94F.jpeg

9A2FADB5-3B44-4AC5-A39A-9F239AB5E0FD.jpeg

2EDF80D6-1046-473E-8639-7F01147E90F1.jpeg

5D6C93C1-7C12-4FDC-93F7-22C7D818B5FE.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Lisa,

 

How do you wear the neck gaiters ?  I have never seen them before.

Basically, it's a 19"x19" square piece of knit fabric that you serge or zig zag stitch into a tube.  I just wear it around my neck when I don't need a face covering and pull it up when I do.  I have used them when rowing in the winter to protect my face.  I will take a few selfies and post.

 

Lisa

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have not done any sewing lately.  But I did go through my sewing and fabric supplies.  Everything is arranged nicely in plastic boxes and put into two large cabinets.  I was very happy to find lots of fabric that I forgot about.  It was like going shopping in my basement.

If you have gone through your sewing "stuff", what treasures have you found?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2020 at 6:05 PM, geocruiser said:

I have not done any sewing lately.  But I did go through my sewing and fabric supplies.  Everything is arranged nicely in plastic boxes and put into two large cabinets.  I was very happy to find lots of fabric that I forgot about.  It was like going shopping in my basement.

If you have gone through your sewing "stuff", what treasures have you found?

Walt and I have been going through boxes in the basement that were from his parent's house.  They have been sitting down there for 13 years...we procrastinated.  I found a tackle box filled with vintage buttons, silk covered snaps, and lace trim.  Everything is still in the original packaging.  My guess is that they are from the 1950's and 1960's.  

 

Lisa

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/29/2020 at 8:55 AM, RedHeadTexan said:

Walt and I have been going through boxes in the basement that were from his parent's house.  They have been sitting down there for 13 years...we procrastinated.  I found a tackle box filled with vintage buttons, silk covered snaps, and lace trim.  Everything is still in the original packaging.  My guess is that they are from the 1950's and 1960's.  

 

Lisa

Lisa, 

WOW!  That is a great find.  They may be worth something too, besides being a great button.  https://www.nationalbuttonsociety.org/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

 

I have been finishing a pair of pants, that I had left undone for a long time.  kI am going to try to finish some unfinished clothing sewing.

Last night my DH ask me to take off a the turtle neck from turtle neck pull over he had. The fabric was a stretchy knit.  I have never worked with a stretch knit fabric.  I did use a stitch that my sewing machine advisor said to use.  And after being sewn, the fabric did stretch and the thread did not break.  So it was fine.

But I would like to know it any one has any tips for sewing on stretch knits?  Any help would be welcome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/29/2020 at 11:55 AM, RedHeadTexan said:

I have been officing from home since March 16th.  I will be back in the office every other week starting June 8th.  This week I decided to search my scraps and make coordinating neck gaiters.  I will be styling at the office. 

 

Lisa

25308891-E504-4379-9205-25999A15D94F.jpeg

9A2FADB5-3B44-4AC5-A39A-9F239AB5E0FD.jpeg

2EDF80D6-1046-473E-8639-7F01147E90F1.jpeg

5D6C93C1-7C12-4FDC-93F7-22C7D818B5FE.jpeg

I just came across this post.  I love these dresses, especially the far left, followed by far right. Fabulous fabrics, and beautifully made.

Have you ever been to Hawaii?  Seeing all the fabrics (probably sarongs) in the markets was a highlight for me, better than the beaches!  A vintage rayon Hawaiian-print dress I took with me got a lot of use on that cruise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/19/2021 at 7:39 AM, geocruiser said:

Hi everyone,

 

I have been finishing a pair of pants, that I had left undone for a long time.  kI am going to try to finish some unfinished clothing sewing.

Last night my DH ask me to take off a the turtle neck from turtle neck pull over he had. The fabric was a stretchy knit.  I have never worked with a stretch knit fabric.  I did use a stitch that my sewing machine advisor said to use.  And after being sewn, the fabric did stretch and the thread did not break.  So it was fine.

But I would like to know it any one has any tips for sewing on stretch knits?  Any help would be welcome.

I always use my walking foot when using my regular sewing machine on knits.  It keeps knits from sliding all over the place while sewing.

 

Lisa

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I just came across this post.  I love these dresses, especially the far left, followed by far right. Fabulous fabrics, and beautifully made.

Have you ever been to Hawaii?  Seeing all the fabrics (probably sarongs) in the markets was a highlight for me, better than the beaches!  A vintage rayon Hawaiian-print dress I took with me got a lot of use on that cruise.

Thank you!  I have not made it to Hawaii yet, but it is definitely on the list of places I want to go.  

 

Lisa

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RedHeadTexan said:

I always use my walking foot when using my regular sewing machine on knits.  It keeps knits from sliding all over the place while sewing.

 

Lisa

HI Lisa,

 

Thank I do have a walking foot.  I also have a roller foot too.  Have you ever use a roller foot on knits?  To sew his shirt I just used a plain B foot.  Not the best choice, I see now.  What needle type do you use for knits?  Sewing is a process of learning.  Up to this point I been using fabric in the same family type.  It is time for me to branch out!

https://www.husqvarnaviking.com/en-US/Accessories/Roller-Foot

 

Maria

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, geocruiser said:

HI Lisa,

 

Thank I do have a walking foot.  I also have a roller foot too.  Have you ever use a roller foot on knits?  To sew his shirt I just used a plain B foot.  Not the best choice, I see now.  What needle type do you use for knits?  Sewing is a process of learning.  Up to this point I been using fabric in the same family type.  It is time for me to branch out!

https://www.husqvarnaviking.com/en-US/Accessories/Roller-Foot

 

Maria

Hi Maria,

 

I forgot to mention needles...oops.  I use either a stretch needle or a ball point needle for knits.  Universal needles really don't work well with knits.  I have not used a roller foot.  Most of my knit sewing is done on my Baby Lock Imagine serger.  Sergers make knits a breeze, but it's mainly for seams and not hems.  

 

Lisa

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, RedHeadTexan said:

Hi Maria,

 

I forgot to mention needles...oops.  I use either a stretch needle or a ball point needle for knits.  Universal needles really don't work well with knits.  I have not used a roller foot.  Most of my knit sewing is done on my Baby Lock Imagine serger.  Sergers make knits a breeze, but it's mainly for seams and not hems.  

 

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

 

I do have a Viking serger.  Do you have to use a special stitches for the seams?  Do the seams need to stretch with the fabric?

 

Thanks,

 

Maria

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Hi Lisa,

 

I do have a Viking serger.  Do you have to use a special stitches for the seams?  Do the seams need to stretch with the fabric?

 

Thanks,

 

Maria

I just use the 4 thread Overlock (standard width) for my serger seams.  Seams generally need to stretch with the fabric or they will pop.  If you are using a standard sewing machine, the any horizontal seam needs to be done with a narrow zig-zag or narrow lightning bolt stitch.  Veritical seams can be done with a straight stitch IF the pattern is not form fitting.  For example a knit wide leg pant can have a straight stitch on the vertical seams, where as leggings must have a stretch stitch (zig-zag or lightning bolt).

 

Lisa

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...