Teachers discount on Celebrity...what a joke

inforem

After reading this thread, I just want to add my thoughts.

I am a former teacher. For 33 years I never had a work free vacation!!!!!

I took school work on every cruise that I went on!!!

I did school work most every night and during the weekends.

Every summer I took classes and did preparation work!!!!

Most days, I had 15 minutes for lunch and as already mentioned, I could never go

to the bathroom when I needed to!!!!!!!

I could go on and one but I will stop here.

I only wish the people who put down teachers would go and teach for a week before they

state their opinions.

Expensive holiday cruises were the only time we could go.

A discount would have been wonderful!!!

The discount is not because many teachers work hard and some don't. It is not because they are not well compensated during and after working. It is because a cruise company wants to fill their rooms, and trying to look gracious as to the groups they choose. Also teachers have the option of a lot of freetime and cruise companies know that. They can go for a month at a time if they chose. Only retired folks can match that as most jobs do not let you off for two plus months. Teachers have the option to do what they want in the summer. You chose to work and vacation some.

This is not putting anyone down, but just pointing out that most jobs do not have the options teachers have. So, I have kept the comments away from putting down teachers, but treating them like any hard working group and analyzing time to cruise benefits that they have the right to take, and why they are targeted by cruise companies.

Many folks only have two to three weeks a year, and not extra time like a week at Easter, two weeks at Christmas, the day before and after Thanksgiving, etc. That is why some like oil field workers, steel workers, construction workers, factory workers, and on and on roll their eyes when you say you work hard and should have a special discount. H

The discount is not because many teachers work hard and some don't. It is not because they are not well compensated during and after working. It is because a cruise company wants to fill their rooms, and trying to look gracious as to the groups they choose. Also teachers have the option of a lot of freetime and cruise companies know that. They can go for a month at a time if they chose. Only retired folks can match that as most jobs do not let you off for two plus months. Teachers have the option to do what they want in the summer. You chose to work and vacation some.

This is not putting anyone down, but just pointing out that most jobs do not have the options teachers have. So, I have kept the comments away from putting down teachers, but treating them like any hard working group and analyzing time to cruise benefits that they have the right to take, and why they are targeted by cruise companies.

Many folks only have two to three weeks a year, and not extra time like a week at Easter, two weeks at Christmas, the day before and after Thanksgiving, etc. That is why some like oil field workers, steel workers, construction workers, factory workers, and on and on roll their eyes when you say you work hard and should have a special discount. H

Harry......you are right on!!!

Agree 100%.

I also do not believe other groups such as military or firefighters etc, should get a discount either. Although that is probably controversial amongst many. But that is my view and I am entitled to that, just as you are if you disagree.

Do doctors or nurses get a discount? or maybe any other hard workiing employee?

People choose to go into various jobs in life - it does not give them a higher status over any other human being.

Companies however have a right to sell their cabins at the best price possible, at the end of the day they are a public company and need to answer to their shareholders.

The definition of bogus is counterfeit, fake or not genuine. The teacher discount offer is a GENUINE discount (just not one that applies to your particular booking), therefore, your opinion that the discount offer is "bogus", is in fact, wrong.

Well said, I do worry sometimes at the command of language of some who are teaching today. M

To the OP of course you are entitled to post your opinions but what you say should be accurate. Had you said restricted or poor I would have had no issue but you are implying fraud and deceit in your inappropriate choice of a word.

Quite interesting that the Teacher Rate discount for the cruise I'm looking at differs based on cabin category.

Nothing unusual about that but the discount is greater for the lower level cabins.

Inside and OV get $200 per cabin while balcony cabins only get $100. Suites also get $200.

I think this goes back to the idea these discounts are a marketing tool and not a reward for being part of a specific group.

BTW - In case anyone is not aware, only one person needs to be a teacher per cabin.

After reading this thread, I just want to add my thoughts.

I am a former teacher. For 33 years I never had a work free vacation!!!!!

I took school work on every cruise that I went on!!!

I did school work most every night and during the weekends.

Every summer I took classes and did preparation work!!!!

Most days, I had 15 minutes for lunch and as already mentioned, I could never go

to the bathroom when I needed to!!!!!!!

I could go on and one but I will stop here.

I only wish the people who put down teachers would go and teach for a week before they

state their opinions.

Expensive holiday cruises were the only time we could go.

A discount would have been wonderful!!!

The above could describe all sorts of occupations, not just teachers. I can't recall the last time I went on a vacation without taking work and keeping in constant touch with work while gone. I take work home regularly and certainly can't take off on vacation whenever I want.

I'm not going to bash teachers -I appreciate those who give it their all and make a difference in kids' lives. I don't think people really mean to bash teachers... they just wish teachers would realize that there are a lot of other people out there that work hard too.

I don't have a problem with teachers or anyone else getting a discount. It's just marketing. No biggie. I just worry about what's available to me. If I don't like the price... I don't buy it.

I don't recall a thread on CC where teachers requested a discount; Celebrity just made the offer. I agree that the motive is to attract more people to the cruise line and not to reward any one group. Despite your comments to the contrary, I think the cruise line is aware that teachers are limited to vacation periods that are among the most expensive weeks to cruise.

I don't know what you pay your teachers in South Carolina, but I don't know any teachers who can afford to cruise for a month! Furthermore if you look at the prices of cruises and airfare during peak vacation periods such as Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving you'll discover that those times are among the most expensive to travel to cruise ports from most US cities.

In three weeks we leave for an Alaskan cruise tour during peak season. Hopefully we will encounter passengers who have had positive experiences with their teachers. Nevertheless the teaching profession, or at least teacher cruise discounts, is probably a conversation topic we will avoid much like politics or religion.

A business makes a decision on what group or person to give a discount.

I applaud Military, Firefighters, Police, etc.

However, why give discounts to AARP Seniors that probably have more money to spend.

I don't have a problem with a teacher's discount.

[quote name=Phalst;

In three weeks we leave for an Alaskan cruise tour during peak season. Hopefully we will encounter passengers who have had positive experiences with their teachers. Nevertheless the teaching profession' date=' or at least teacher cruise discounts, is probably a conversation topic we will avoid much like politics or religion.[/quote]

The teacher pay must be better in your state. Enjoy the Alaska adventure. Everyone deserves it. H

Is there any way to tell which cruises have various kinds of discounts (I'd mostly be interested in the senior one) without having to go the the booking process and get waiting to see if it pops up? For example, is there a search mechanism or website that lists the cruises that have the discount and for which states?

Tom

Den,

Check the rates on your Reflections cruises - we are on the same cruises and were able to get Military on one and Senior on the other. see you in November!

\

\Richard

A business makes a decision on what group or person to give a discount.

I applaud Military, Firefighters, Police, etc.

However, why give discounts to AARP Seniors that probably have more money to spend.

I don't have a problem with a teacher's discount.

Hey, don't be messing with our 25 cent coffee at Wendy's.

Here are a few AARP stats;

Gary Koenig and Lina Walker

AARP Public Policy Institute

For many Americans 65 and older, the future has changed. The recession has left millions with higher expenses, lower incomes, depleted savings, and reduced home equity or homes lost to foreclosure. Longer term trends have also had a negative impact. Here are ten key facts:

1. One in six lives in poverty. An updated measure of poverty taking health care costs into account and endorsed by the National Academy of Sciences shows 16.8 percent poverty among seniors (2009), almost equal to poverty among children (17.5 percent).1

2. $18,500 annual income. Half of those 65 and older had annual individual income less than this amount. Ten million people over 65 had income less than $10,800, while fewer than two million had income above $85,150 (2009).

Just putting in both sides of the story. H

What are you doing bringing reason and logic into this thread?

Teachers' Discount is based on the duration of the cruise, not on cabin category as reported above. From the =X= website:

Teachers’ Savings

Number of Sail Nights Amount of Savings (per stateroom)

4 to 5 nights $100 off

6 to 9 nights $200 off

10 nights or more $300 off

Hey, don't be messing with our 25 cent coffee at Wendy's.

Here are a few AARP stats;

Gary Koenig and Lina Walker

AARP Public Policy Institute

For many Americans 65 and older, the future has changed. The recession has left millions with higher expenses, lower incomes, depleted savings, and reduced home equity or homes lost to foreclosure. Longer term trends have also had a negative impact. Here are ten key facts:

1. One in six lives in poverty. An updated measure of poverty taking health care costs into account and endorsed by the National Academy of Sciences shows 16.8 percent poverty among seniors (2009), almost equal to poverty among children (17.5 percent).1

2. $18,500 annual income. Half of those 65 and older had annual individual income less than this amount. Ten million people over 65 had income less than $10,800, while fewer than two million had income above $85,150 (2009).

Just putting in both sides of the story. H

Those stats are deceptive. Many Seniors have little income, but live well due to their investments. My Mom had SS income of $10000 per year, but lived mainly on her investments.

I have read that Seniors are the wealthiest age group in the USA.

My favorite Celebrity discount story.

I booked my January cruise on a Saturday. On Monday they announced a $200 OBC promotion ! My cruise qualified for $400 due to it's length. I called my TA to ask her to get me that OBC ! I was mad.

She called me back and said she could get it if we rebooked, but Celebrity had raised the price of the cruise by $600 simultaneously.

Those stats are deceptive. Many Seniors have little income, but live well due to their investments. My Mom had SS income of $10000 per year, but lived mainly on her investments.

I'm sorry I left out items 6 & 7. H

6. Growing debt. In 2007, two-thirds of families with a head of household age 65–74 had debt. Of those, more than half owed at least $40,000 (a 400 percent increase since 1989).6

7. Wide savings gap. Three out of five families headed by a person 65 or older had no money in retirement savings accounts (2007). Half of those with savings had less than $60,800.

This means in 2007 before the recession 75% had less than $60,800 in savings. I am sure it is much less now. I am also sure their debt is greater now. H

My favorite Celebrity discount story.

I booked my January cruise on a Saturday. On Monday they announced a $200 OBC promotion ! My cruise qualified for $400 due to it's length. I called my TA to ask her to get me that OBC ! I was mad.

She called me back and said she could get it if we rebooked, but Celebrity had raised the price of the cruise by $600 simultaneously.

That is the way it works. H

If you don't understand that, then you'd not understand why they give any discounts, including ones you may be eligible for.....its called business and giving someone a 'deal'. And since teachers can only cruise during the Summer (usually), then they'd set it up for then.

They don't give us Vets discounts because they love us and want to honor us, they do it for business. If they 'loved us' so much, they'd let us cruise for free and make everyone else pay for it.

Den

I am loving this thread, please don't stop it is so entertaining! Shall I throw in the difference between UK discounts an US?

NO, I am so looking forward to a drink from Den on the 4th Nov. for saving him money-on the other hand I think we will buy him one because we love his sense of humour, and reason.

Do you believe everything you read? :eek:
The teacher pay must be better in your state. Enjoy the Alaska adventure. Everyone deserves it. H

Why would you make that assumption? My point is that most teachers, wherever they work, cannot afford to take the month long cruise to which you referred in an earlier post.

Thank you, we will enjoy our Alaska adventure. It is without question the most expensive vacation we have ever taken. When we booked it, we didn't realize just how expensive it would be. To save some money we booked an obstructed ocean view cabin and avoided any expensive tours. There were no teacher discounts associated with this cruise. There will be passengers who have paid much less than we did because we booked early and they booked after final payment. But that's how things work with cruises: sometimes you catch a break but most times you don't.

Whenever I read CC I marvel at the long list of cruises some people manage to take within a year. I never think they must be teachers. I assume they have a job with a great salary and flexible vacation periods. Some are retired and can take advantage of last minute deals. Good for them! I don't begrudge anyone a discount.

Next April will be our first Celebrity cruise, and yes, we were able to take advantage of the teacher discount. We are looking forward to that cruise as well but will again avoid any discussion of teachers or discounts.

Enjoy your upcoming cruises.

Why would you make that assumption? My point is that most teachers, wherever they work, cannot afford to take the month long cruise to which you referred in an earlier post.

Thank you, we will enjoy our Alaska adventure. It is without question the most expensive vacation we have ever taken. When we booked it, we didn't realize just how expensive it would be. To save some money we booked an obstructed ocean view cabin and avoided any expensive tours. There were no teacher discounts associated with this cruise. There will be passengers who have paid much less than we did because we booked early and they booked after final payment. But that's how things work with cruises: sometimes you catch a break but most times you don't.

Whenever I read CC I marvel at the long list of cruises some people manage to take within a year. I never think they must be teachers. I assume they have a job with a great salary and flexible vacation periods. Some are retired and can take advantage of last minute deals. Good for them! I don't begrudge anyone a discount.

Next April will be our first Celebrity cruise, and yes, we were able to take advantage of the teacher discount. We are looking forward to that cruise as well but will again avoid any discussion of teachers or discounts.

Enjoy your upcoming cruises.

My point is you have the option, where most do not. H

Archived