Teachers discount on Celebrity...what a joke

inforem

YouGo Girl - I realize that not every retired teacher is getting a 75% pension, which is why I said "many". NYC School Teachers who started to teach during the early seventies and held their positions for 30 or more years before retiring are getting it. However, I don't think the pension for newer NYC teachers is as good.

:D Life isn't fair and if you learn that early on, you are more likely to be happier. However, that doesn't mean we can't vent now and then!:D

I'd rather be happy than mega-rich and count my blessings, rather than worry too much about others.

Why do teachers in the US get a "discount" and teachers in the UK don't?
Same reason Firefighters get a discount in the US and we don't in the UK. Same reason USA bookings can be cancelled without loss of deposit as opposed to the UK where the deposit is lost even if you cancel within 24 hours. Its just the way things are. If we want to cruise - and we do - you just have to accept that there are differences in the terms and conditions.

Same reason Firefighters get a discount in the US and we don't in the UK. Same reason USA bookings can be cancelled without loss of deposit as opposed to the UK where the deposit is lost even if you cancel within 24 hours. Its just the way things are. If we want to cruise - and we do - you just have to accept that there are differences in the terms and conditions.

A transcript of the RCL Conference call is available at investor relations. Interesting in terms of what was said about cruising patterns in Europe. Real problems in Southern Europe that has led corportate to decide to move ships and thus reduce capacity in that region. However, there appears to be major gains in cruises leaving from England. My guess is that if that trend continues there will be increased capacity and more discounts offered for my British friends. Hope that happens.

Celebrity do from time to time give age discounts in the UK - discounting is allowed.

The main issue is that UK travel agents can discount and could even be sold blocks of cabins at a signficant discount by the cruiseline to shift them, so in the UK we get discount perks that the US do not get.

So win some lose some, I bet the OP could find some discounts in the UK that are far far better than the US teachers discounts on some sailings

As a retired teacher living in Ontario who has been in the military, I would like to see a multi-dipping discount when I book on board and show my stock certificate..

-$200 for residence

-$200 for having been a teacher

-$200 for surviving to retirement

-$200 for having served in the military

-$200 for booking on board

-$200 for stock ownership

-$200 for belonging to Captain's Club...

-$100 for back to back cruise

and I want a Tuesday balcony special for the price of an inside

and a Choice air discount...

and pr-paid gratuities from my TA

They can send me the check together with my free tickets...:D

Ha ha! Sounds good to me!

Now I don't want to get flamed so I will say this with a very well selected choice of words.

Why is there no continuity with discounts outside of the good old USA?

I don't think the discounts apply to our services in the UK as they do in the US.

Do our people work less? Perhaps our services are just rescuing cats out of trees and sending threatening e-mails to invading dictators. Ohhh or maybe because our military is watching the Olympics in free seats (which I fully support them getting these free).

I do think that if celebrity offers teachers a discount at least let the discount be for the school breaks and not the term time.

I'll pass over the first remarks and comment that the discount is for sailings from July 2012 to April 2013, encompassing both vacation and term times, and since it is applicable to retired teachers and college professors, as well as active ones, there are many opportunities for the eligible class to take advantage of this offer.

If you read this entire thread you will find much discussion on that topic.

In a nutshell it is because teachers and retired teachers have been identified as a population that cruises more than average, and that the marketing department has decided to create further enticements.

I can certainly understand why Celebrity offers discounts to various groups to fill their unsold cabins, but wonder if they are exacerbating the problem by doing so. Maybe Celebrity has so many unsold cabins because people realize that it is no longer an advantage to book early, unless it is for a very unusual itinerary that doesn't have much competition. My comment only applies to Celebrity, because on other cruise lines we sail it is still an advantage to book early.

:)Don't forget about the "Senior Citizen Discount" over 55.....we got that one on our last Celebrity cruise and it was greattttt...........................

Also sometimes the state you live in they also give you a discount.

We save $400 p/p on our last cruise which added up to $800.00.

I have to agree though it seems like policemen and firemen got alot of perks whereas us "regular" people don't get them. I work for a police agency and they do get alot of perks.

I know they don't get them every time but just about every advertisement on TV or in the newspaper the police and firefighters get some sort of discount. It sometimes does make me mad......................................:):)

OK, Loving this thread, my scenario, I have children and cruised with them (in school holidays) I worked very very hard did overtime without pay, I only got four weeks holiday per year, so cruised at prime time with my children, can I have a discount too!! :eek:

Here we go again! All discounts, including those for Teachers are not based on merit or need, but rather are sound business decisions. Teachers are very frequent cruisers and therefore a demographic target for all lines. When the cruiseline needs to fill cabins they look at the demographics. Teachers as a group are targeted when they are most likely to cruise. Lots of cruises leave ports in the US at peek teacher travel time. That's why the discounts. If funeral directors, carpenters, doctors, or any other group traveled as much as teachers they too would get discounts.

It is amazing how they cannot understand your points, and figure this out. I apologize to the ones that do and get it. Sometimes I think they play both sides of the issue. Yes my group cruises the most, but we need more discounts than other hard workers get. They are unaware the cruise lines uses them like a commodity for the benefit of the bottom line. The cruise lines do not reward them for what they do for society. Otherwise surgeons would top the teacher discount, but surgeons get nothing. H

It is amazing how they cannot understand your points, and figure this out. I apologize to the ones that do and get it. Sometimes I think they play both sides of the issue. Yes my group cruises the most, but we need more discounts than other hard workers get. They are unaware the cruise lines uses them like a commodity for the benefit of the bottom line. The cruise lines do not reward them for what they do for society. Otherwise surgeons would top the teacher discount, but surgeons get nothing. H

Some people have very selective perception. They only hear what they want to hear and ignore anything that challenges their view of the world. I don't post for those types, I post in attempt to assist the new cruiser when I can.

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked using the teacher discount. I am ecstatic that celebrity has recognized that as an educator our only time to travel is during the most expensive seasons. Now if only the airlines would get their act together and stop charging $600 to get from NY to San Juan, I may actually be able to take a cruise for under $1200!

Celebrity raised many fares prior to offering this "teacher's discount" - in our case the fare went up $200 for the cabin, and would have resulted in an additional $200 OBC - big deal - they just gave you your own money back.........

All of the cruise lines use lots of smoke and mirrors with their fares....very seldom is their "new deal" a great deal......maybe a few dollar savings or larger savings for a last minute deal because they want to fill the ship....

Our best deal was a last minute deep southern Caribbean cruise booked in November for a January cruise - they were trying to fill the cabins and most people purchase air tickets many months in advance......

RCCL shareholders can get an OBC, depending on length of cruise. They say though this is not good with other "cash off" offers.

The shareholder credit offer states that its good with one other offer.

Can I get the Teacher Discount and the RCCL shareholder credit.

I just booked using the teacher discount. I am ecstatic that celebrity has recognized that as an educator our only time to travel is during the most expensive seasons. Now if only the airlines would get their act together and stop charging $600 to get from NY to San Juan, I may actually be able to take a cruise for under $1200!

We're cruising with teacher friend during April vacation, and our fare from Maine to San Juan is over $800!! And I'm sure it's because it's school vacation!

Jane

OK, Loving this thread, my scenario, I have children and cruised with them (in school holidays) I worked very very hard did overtime without pay, I only got four weeks holiday per year, so cruised at prime time with my children, can I have a discount too!! :eek:

Well, I am half Bohemian and half alien from Tau Ceti, ;)who cross dresses every other thursday, :ovolunteers as an advisor to people who get voted off Dancing with the Stars, :Dand I have 4 nipples:eek:

NOW. YOU TELL ME.... who deserves a discount more than THAT!:p

Great thread...I learned that teachers cruise more than other industry employees so they are marketed to. From all the articles about teacher salaries and how more money increases were needed, I thought they were too poor to cruise

Just curious--why do teachers need the discount more than other hard workers ? Teachers in NJ are very well paid with unbelievable benefits. I don't mind the different discounts that are offered but no group should feel that a discount is an entitlement.

Why do teachers get one?

Great thread...I learned that teachers cruise more than other industry employees so they are marketed to. From all the articles about teacher salaries and how more money increases were needed, I thought they were too poor to cruise
OMG - Do some people not get it or do they just want to be troublemakers? Kinda dense.

And then you have those like the OP who whine that as teachers, they can't take advantage of this discount and call it a joke.

Equally dense.

Starting to agree with others that this thread has said all there is to be said.

Archived