Unabashed Begging? & Booking with TAs

There is a current piece on these Boards about Carnival banning cash-equivalent promotions. There are two items that caught my attention while reading the contributions:

1. A fairly large percentage of contributors indicate that they will not book with a travel agency unless they receive substantial perks of one kind or another. But I ask the question: Is this not unabashed begging others to subsidise the cost of the trip? Is this right? And do they also ask for perks when they go to grocery and department stores? It is no wonder then that some of the smaller agencies are going out of business - if the reason is a matter of reduced revenue yet with stable overheads.
  2. Many others will not book with an agency because they prefer to be in full control of the booking process. I guess all these fine folks are trained travel experts, able to deal with all the nuances and problems that many times are part of the booking process.

I guess there will be a few nice feedback and many more nasty ones as is very often the case. Have a shot!

I make choices like this all the time. I know many people who shop at Walmart because of great prices. I choose to pay more to shop elsewhere, only because of philosophical differences with how Walmart operates. I would say those people shopping at Walmart are begging for perks (lower prices) and thus hurting small business owners. But to each their own.

I would just hate to see a society where nothing was on sale and every store always had the same prices. Which is what Carnival is doing with this ridiculous policy.

We use our local TA and don't expect perks. We use her company because we trust her to arrange our trip for us and receive itemized statments showing all payments and balances as a payment is made. Yes I pre plan our trip ahead of time, know our room, then call and arrange our cruise. If we get a bottle of wine as a thank you from her for using her company, that is fine, but not expected. We cruise for the enjoyment of cruising and meeting new friends & seeing new places. That is our reward ( Perk). Should a problem occur needing her assistance to reslove it, we have the confidence in her company that she will stand behind us.

And do they also ask for perks when they go to grocery and department stores? It is no wonder then that some of the smaller agencies are going out of business - if the reason is a matter of reduced revenue yet with stable overheads.

You have posed an interesting question . ...

ABSOLUTELY! I shop with coupons, I look for sales. I get as much for free as I possibly can. If not, it is like throwing dollar bills in the trash.

For my upcoming 16 night transatlantic I am getting: Prepaid tips for 2 people (~375), dinner for 2, and a spa treatment (on top of my Diamond plus balcony discount). And If I could use my Shareholder Credit, I would. This is a total of approx 500 dollars in extras. I have booked with this TA many times and have never had a problem with "control" of my reservation. I call them, they get the price drop. I call them, they change my cabin. no problem.

Save, Save, Save. Why not???

Happy cruising.

Paula

Many others will not book with an agency because they prefer to be in full control of the booking process. I guess all these fine folks are trained travel experts, able to deal with all the nuances and problems that many times are part of the booking process.

This is scary and huge to you? It's not as difficult as you make it sound.

:confused:

A fairly large percentage of contributors indicate that they will not book with a travel agency unless they receive substantial perks of one kind or another. But I ask the question: Is this not unabashed begging others to subsidise the cost of the trip? Is this right? And do they also ask for perks when they go to grocery and department stores?

Yes, in fact we do. Most major grocery stores have rewards programs, whether it be discounts on future purchases or saving on gas prices... they are common incentives. Many also shop at stores with coupons and look for sales and only go to where the price works out to be the best. Most stores (especially department stores) offer price matching as well to ensure they are offering a competitive value. I get gift certificates for every $400 I spend at my favorite clothing store and Best Buy also gives me money back for all of my purchases there. If I go to a coffee shop I often get a card for buy x amount get one free and same with Cajun restaurant and Frozen Yogurt shop I go to. Credit cards offer cash back or air miles and other misc rewards for using them. It really isn't any different at all. Do you have none of the items I have mentioned?

If I had a relationship with a local TA I would use them. But with all of the consolidation that has gone on, I have not been able to find one that is still around. Even if I had a local TA, I would expect that in return for my loyalty they would offer me some nice perks.

Instead I use internet TAs or book directly with the cruise lines. This is like buying anything else online - you comparison shop and get the best deal. Why wouldn't you?

You have posed an interesting question . ...

ABSOLUTELY! I shop with coupons, I look for sales. I get as much for free as I possibly can. If not, it is like throwing dollar bills in the trash.

For my upcoming 16 night transatlantic I am getting: Prepaid tips for 2 people (~375), dinner for 2, and a spa treatment (on top of my Diamond plus balcony discount). And If I could use my Shareholder Credit, I would. This is a total of approx 500 dollars in extras. I have booked with this TA many times and have never had a problem with "control" of my reservation. I call them, they get the price drop. I call them, they change my cabin. no problem.

Save, Save, Save. Why not???

Happy cruising.

Paula

Like :D

It's not to subsidize the cost of the trip. But I enjoy booking for myself, so unless someone is paying me, why would I let them do something for me that I prefer to do myself? And as for the things TAs provide, so far the only thing any of them that I have tried have done is to delay booking, or booking something different that I asked for, costing me several hundred dollars, or only doing what I am perfectly capable of doing myself. So why would I forgo my pleasure in booking and my control over my trip?

Many others will not book with an agency because they prefer to be in full control of the booking process. I guess all these fine folks are trained travel experts, able to deal with all the nuances and problems that many times are part of the booking process.

I guess there will be a few nice feedback and many more nasty ones as is very often the case. Have a shot!

It's a pretty simple process these days with this new fangled interweb. Conversely is it not more begging on the side of T/A by offering so many perks because there has been an increasing lack of necessity for their services?

Most people aren't trained car experts either and yet millions of people seem to be able to purchase a car on their own without the use of car buying agencies. I would think purchasing a car is a far greater investment in both time and money than a vacation.

There is a current piece on these Boards about Carnival banning cash-equivalent promotions. There are two items that caught my attention while reading the contributions:

1. A fairly large percentage of contributors indicate that they will not book with a travel agency unless they receive substantial perks of one kind or another. But I ask the question: Is this not unabashed begging others to subsidise the cost of the trip? Is this right? And do they also ask for perks when they go to grocery and department stores? It is no wonder then that some of the smaller agencies are going out of business - if the reason is a matter of reduced revenue yet with stable overheads.
  2. Many others will not book with an agency because they prefer to be in full control of the booking process. I guess all these fine folks are trained travel experts, able to deal with all the nuances and problems that many times are part of the booking process.

You make some good points, for your personal situation. I was a travel agent for 7 years then worked another 6 years for TWA & Worldspan, so I can take care of myself when booking. Also, I am an avid couponer and sale hunter, so I do expect a lot from grocery and department stores. I am not a coupon queen who strips the shelves but I do my best to get my family all the basics cheap or free, I try to do the same with my travels too so that we can splurge when we need to.

I have never booked directly with the cruiseline for any of my 34 cruises mainly because I believe an agent is my representative when it comes to dealing with the cruiseline. They have my best interest at heart and are there for me, and have been. I have had issues where the cruiseline said one thing but I knew I was in the right and the agent was able to correct to my benefit.

I also believe in supporting an agent and their job, and once you find one who can take care of you, it is like gold. Also note I have always gotten the same or better deal from my agent that the cruiseline.

Lastly when I buy a car, clothes, wine, appliances etc I almost never but directly from the supplier.

Happy cruising.

vickie

I work hard for my money and will look for the best deal when purchasing just about anything, especially something like a vacation. I watch sales, use coupons, join loyalty programs, etc to make sure I get value for my hard earned dollar. How is looking for a TA that provides the best perk any different? I don't see any of this as begging, just making sure I know that I am comfortable in how I spend MY money.

Sometimes I will use TA, sometimes I won't. Again, I do my research and decide what works best for me in a particular situation. If I am taking a trip to a new place and after doing some research am not comfortable booking myself, I go to a TA. However, if I have been to the same place multiple times and know what I need, depending on where I can get the best deal I may book direct or through a TA. There is no one size fits all answer.

If people didn't do their research there would be no need for the apps and websites out there that do price comparison.

Do you just pay whatever a store is advertising and do no research? I sure don't!

How is it begging? They're offering. I'm accepting. Nothing wrong with it.

Most grocery stores have loyalty cards now. Should we not use the card and pay more? You go ahead. I'm using the card.

As others have said - booking a cruise is not difficult. Even I can do it. ;)

Yes, I'm one of those "fine folks" who books on his own because I do know more than a travel agent when it comes to RCCL.

For example, my last TA went on vacation and left her bookings with someone who was basically ignorant of RCCL's policies.

When I called to change a cabin to a different one in the same category, she INSISTED it could not be done and as a result didn't do a thing. I could do nothing because of her lack of understanding of RCCL.

So yes, when it comes to RCCL, I do know more than the TAs and want to have the ability to call RCCL directly and not be told, "we can't talk with you, only your TA."

I'll just speak for myself. I have cruised on Royal Caribbean many times on every class of ship. So far, we have always been on a closed loop cruise from a US port. Because I am familiar with every aspect of cruising this line, I would not book with a TA unless there was some sort of value added. I know which cabins I like, where I like to be located on the ship, the ports I like to visit and the type of excursions I prefer. I always buy travel insurance. I could be missing something but I'm not sure what a TA would offer in this instance. So far, I have had no issues.

Now, I have two cruises booked on lines that I am not familiar with and those are booked through a TA. In both cases, I am receiving a substantial benefit. Plus, since I have a Platinum Amex, I am able to receive additional benefits.

I certainly wouldn't beg for anything but if I saw an advertised special (and I see many advertised specials) I might take advantage of it. So far, prepaid gratuities and a small OBC have not been enough for me to relinquish control of the RCCL bookings. I am a huge supporter of small businesses (am a small business owner myself) but I don't think it is my responsibility to keep small agencies in business.

And yes, I do take coupons to both grocery stores and department stores!

The agencies are begging me for my business by offering monetary incentives. I don't think there is anything wrong in them doing this.

I choose not to accept their offers and it cost me more out of pocket initially. However, I think I might have even saved more in the long run by keeping track of price drops that I don't think they would have been as motivated as me to check on.

I do this because I know more than them about what I want, need, how to get it, track pricing, get adjustments and fix problems. I would hate to leave this aspect of my valued vacations in the hands of others when it takes so little time and energy for me to do it myself and to know it will be done right.

I do my own bookings because thus far I seemed to know more about my bookings than the agencies I've used in the past.

We pay for our cruises so how can you call it begging?

Some people can't be bothered with doing it them selves, so thet use agents. To each his or her own.

1. Is it begging to choose to use a credit card that gives me a cash back reward or go to a grocery that gives me points for being a loyal customer? Am I a beggar because I look for the best deal I can find in a service provider?

2. I have not encountered many nuances in booking a 6 night cruise for 2 out of Ft Lauderdale. I'm driving my car to the port, staying over night in a convenient hotel and getting dinner somewhere before crashing. If I want to make a change to the reservation I call RCCL and speak with an agent and we make the changes or additions to my cruise. When traveling in the US - same thing. Not much nuance in planning a trip to NYC. I know the hotels I want to book and have a good idea of the shows and restaurants. I am familiar ith the car services so I can change and adjust my schedule as I go.

The TA will bring value to a vacation when I leave the US shores behind. When I have to deal with foreign locations, languages and other cultural barriers to easy travel.

I make choices like this all the time. I know many people who shop at Walmart because of great prices. I choose to pay more to shop elsewhere, only because of philosophical differences with how Walmart operates. I would say those people shopping at Walmart are begging for perks (lower prices) and thus hurting small business owners. But to each their own.

I would just hate to see a society where nothing was on sale and every store always had the same prices. Which is what Carnival is doing with this ridiculous policy.

Do you shop at Target, Albertson's, Lowe's or any of the equivalent? I'm curious where you are buying your groceries... Hard to buy 100% of items from the local farmer's market. Wal-Mart operates no differently then any other big box store and they contribute more to charity than any other big box store. BTW... I as a Wal-Mart, Target, Albertson's, and Lowe's, Walgreen's, the local farmer's market shopper (oh and a small business owner) do not "beg" for perks. But I do shop around, and I do go for the best deal for me. You really shouldn't be so condescending when I HIGHLY doubt you you are so dedicated to small businesses as you claim, especially since your signature is loaded with large corporate cruise lines and not small independent companies.

If I had a relationship with a local TA I would use them. But with all of the consolidation that has gone on, I have not been able to find one that is still around. Even if I had a local TA, I would expect that in return for my loyalty they would offer me some nice perks.

Instead I use internet TAs or book directly with the cruise lines. This is like buying anything else online - you comparison shop and get the best deal. Why wouldn't you?

Does your hairdresser/barber give you perks? Does your Doctor give you perks/ Does your lawyer give you perks? Just wondering.

A fairly large percentage of contributors indicate that they will not book with a travel agency unless they receive substantial perks of one kind or another. But I ask the question: Is this not unabashed begging others to subsidise the cost of the trip? Is this right? And do they also ask for perks when they go to grocery and department stores?

Really?

The online TA I have used for my last three cruises is one that does offer pre-paid gratuities, dinners, OBC, etc... depending on the time of year. No, I don't beg for it. They offer it.

And yes, I do shop at grocery and department stores when they have sales. Again, I'm not asking for perks -- I'm taking advantage of their sales offers.

Please tell me you're not one of those people who pays full sticker price for a new car! :rolleyes:

Ann

Does your hairdresser/barber give you perks? Does your Doctor give you perks/ Does your lawyer give you perks? Just wondering.
I don't understand what Hairdresser/Barber, Doctor, or lawyer has to do with getting the best deal on a cruise?:rolleyes:

Archived