Middle Aged Drama Queen's Eastern Med Review: Serenade, Pics, Surprises & Fun!

Sherri,

I have compared my pace in racing (I manage car racing events) to what you did in Europe and there is no comparison..... You win! :D

My boyfriend and I fly to Barcelona this October to go on the Serenade to visit all the places we have always dreamed of in the Greek Islands and your review was pointed out to me by another member of CC that is on ANOTHER board that we are also a member of for an upcoming cruise in January, 2013. However, the upcoming Europe cruise will finally make us the all-important-glittery-DIAMOND-status!!!!!

We live in Orange, TX and cruise all the time. Hoping to see you, your Mike (with the green shirt) but not at the early stretch class, and possibly a child or two in the near future...

LisaKay

You won't see me at Boot Camp now, either! Hee hee! I hope you have an AMAZING trip! I'm glad you enjoyed the review! Eat some gelato for me...

I spent about 5 days reading your review, soooo amazing, I'm sad it's over, you have made me decide that I WILL do a Med cruise in the future!!

Thanks so much for sharing, I feel like I know your family, I hope to find myself on the same cruise as you one day!

Now on to your Freedom review (which I am going on in 276 days)

The Mediterranean will be a trip of a lifetime...I hope you DO go one day and come back to share with me and others how it went!!! And have fun on the Freedom - what an AMAZING ship!

Hi. I'm just getting started reading your trip report, but I can tell it's going to be great. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome!!!

Is there a direct link to this trip report someplace else, maybe on your blog - with photos? I want my husband to read it, but he is not going to sit at the computer and read all 52 pages and weed through all the replies. ;)

I loved it! Took me over a week to read the entire thing. I just finished, and now feel like I am back from my cruise (that doesn't even start for another 6 weeks :D) and I feel sad. :(

I have taken your advice and booked some of the same tours, like with Barcelona Taste and Jo. Really excited about that!

I have already looked into booking our airport transportation with Transfers from Barcelona. I am not touching Barcelona Tours for transfers, and will never pre-pay.;)

PS - Ordering your shoes from Zappos, too! My Keens are pretty worn out from our last Med. cruise.

Thanks again for the great review!

I don't have a direct link at this time...I'm looking into "transferring" this review to my blog, so that it's easier to read without the comments and such. I wish for you an amazing adventure like we had; it sounds as if you're on the right track! And I hope the shoes work out for you; they did for me!

Love the video...used to sing that with my father when we were young...

I'm going to treasure that video for a long time.... ;)

I bought the pair Sherri recommended and have been wearing them everyday to break them in....really no need to do so since they are really quite comfy...and they are extremely lightweight as well!

Thanks Sherri!

Bonnie

You're welcome! They ARE pretty comfy, huh?! And versatile...I could wear them with dresses, shorts and capris....! I am ALL about comfort, trust me!

I hope you don't mind but I pinned some of your pictures to my pinterest board -Cruised Mediterranean, Greek Isles,Turkey and Spain. They brought back such great memories of our cruise.Love how you surprised your daughter.Cruising is all about making memories with our family.

Looking forward to the rest of this review as we will be on our favorite ship Freedom very soon.

I don't mind at all! I love Pinterest! :) Thank you so much!

Sherri must be out doing Red Cross work. Thank you for all you do, Sherri. ;)

WOW! Ordered my Clark's from Zappo's yesterday afternoon and guess what was sitting on my porch a little while ago...my shoes!

Red Cross is always busy - I've had a lot of meetings and presentations the last week, as it never ends! I'm glad the shoes came - I hope they work for you. :)

I have posted comments a couple of times dring this review but I have not actually thanked Sherri for the mammoth task - and of sharing her wonderful family with us, they are now famous too.:)

So Sherri, thank you so much for this review which will have helped so many people... those who were not quite sure if the Eastern Med was for them, those who are planning trips and need advice and those who just enjoy well written reviews. It has helped me spend a cruise in the Royal Suite because I think that is probably as near as I will ever get.

Happy travels everyone.

I'm glad you enjoyed it...and thank YOU for these words; they mean a lot to me. It was definitely a lot of work and effort, but I think the end results are worth it...if I helped one person, or let one person cruise vicariously in the Royal Suite - hee - then that's what matters! And good advice about the swim suits...! :)

I've had several requests for the movies that we watched as a family before our cruise...these movies helped the Klingons get a better understanding of what they would be seeing and/or experiencing. We'd have "Italian Night" - or "Greek Night" - where we'd nibble on the cuisine that matched the movie we were watching. Who knew that my Klingons would end up LOVING Greek food?! I would NEVER have guessed that!

Now...please...use this as a guide only. Also - check the MPAA ratings for the movie, as our youngest was (almost!) 13-years old....

Our Movie List

Cannes/Monte Carlo

We watched “To Catch A Thief” with Cary Grant and Grace Kelly. This turned out to be a really good choice when our tour guide took us on the road where Grace Kelly was killed in the auto accident; the Klingons actually knew who she WAS!

Mickey and I watched Selena Gomez in "Monte Carlo" - a 2011 film that takes place in the area. I didn't make the Boy Klingons suffer through this. ;)

We didn’t watch it, but there’s always “Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo” (1977) that was filmed in Monte Carlo…it's supposed to be good for kids!

Florence

We watched the always-beautiful “Under the Tuscan Sun” (2003) – with the always-beautiful Diana Lane. This film also tied in a bit of the Amalfi Coast, as well, as some of it was filmed near Positano.

“Tea With Mussolini” – A 1999 film starring Cher, Lily Tomlin, and others...a surprisingly VERY good film, based on a true story, of the Tuscan area during WWII. Because Brainy Brad is into history, this was an awesome film that showed what happened in Florence (and the people) during WWII.

“Room With A View” – (1985) Although the second half of the movie is in England, the first part of the movie has views of Florence…but...check the ratings on this. I know there's a brief nude scene with guys swimming at a pond.

Rome

My kids LOVED “Roman Holiday” with Gregory Peck and Audry Hepburn.

We also watched that BBC short video on gladiators, that's entitled: "Pompeii: The Last Day/Colosseum: A Gladiator's Story (2005). AWESOME set!!! Very accurate and informative.

“Gladiator” (2000) is a good full length movie, although the Boy Klingons enjoyed it more than Mickey.

I tried to get the kids to watch “Ben-Hur” – but it was too long; they didn’t enjoy it as much. Another good movie would be “Cleopatra” with Elizabeth Taylor…as it shows a bit of Roman history.

For the Vatican, we watched “The Agony and the Ectasy” (1965) – fantastic movie about the Sistine Chapel. Kids loved it.

Athens

The kids’ favorite movie (we watched it SEVERAL times) was “My Life in Ruins.” (2009) They didn’t get into “Zorba the Greek” as much.

Ephesus/Kusadasi

I got nothin’. Really.

Santorini

The “Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants” movies…although supposedly “Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life” was filmed in Santorini. We didn’t watch it, though.

Naples/Amalfi Coast/Pompeii

”The Bourne Supremacy” in 2004 was a good movie...

We also watched that Pompeii movie referenced above...it was pretty good.

I hope this list helps...! We'd also watch YouTube videos online, for things such as the cable car ride up the cliffs of Santorini (hoping that would help Too-Tall Taylor and his fear of heights...not sure if it made it better or worse, actually!) or the coastline drive of the Amalfi Coast...there are hundreds of videos out there online that can give you an idea of what to expect.

Sherri,

thanks so much for all the time you put into this review! It is fabulous, and as so many have posted - you should be an author!

I don't cruise on RC, but when I popped into CC tonight, the title "middle aged drama" caught my eye and I haven't been able to stop reading!

We are doing a Med cruise soon, but the first port we'll have in common is Livorno and I enthusiastically read everything up to then.

I need to stop for now, but I can't wait to read your Greek ports (and everything else)!

I don't have a direct link at this time...I'm looking into "transferring" this review to my blog, so that it's easier to read without the comments and such. I wish for you an amazing adventure like we had; it sounds as if you're on the right track! And I hope the shoes work out for you; they did for me!

I'm going to treasure that video for a long time.... ;)

You're welcome! They ARE pretty comfy, huh?! And versatile...I could wear them with dresses, shorts and capris....! I am ALL about comfort, trust me!

What did I miss? I need comfortable shoes for my Med cruise. Please share which shoes you are discussing. Thanks so much!

I've had several requests for the movies that we watched as a family before our cruise...these movies helped the Klingons get a better understanding of what they would be seeing and/or experiencing. We'd have "Italian Night" - or "Greek Night" - where we'd nibble on the cuisine that matched the movie we were watching. Who knew that my Klingons would end up LOVING Greek food?! I would NEVER have guessed that!

Now...please...use this as a guide only. Also - check the MPAA ratings for the movie, as our youngest was (almost!) 13-years old....

Our Movie List

Cannes/Monte Carlo

We watched “To Catch A Thief” with Cary Grant and Grace Kelly. This turned out to be a really good choice when our tour guide took us on the road where Grace Kelly was killed in the auto accident; the Klingons actually knew who she WAS!

Mickey and I watched Selena Gomez in "Monte Carlo" - a 2011 film that takes place in the area. I didn't make the Boy Klingons suffer through this. ;)

We didn’t watch it, but there’s always “Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo” (1977) that was filmed in Monte Carlo…it's supposed to be good for kids!

Florence

We watched the always-beautiful “Under the Tuscan Sun” (2003) – with the always-beautiful Diana Lane. This film also tied in a bit of the Amalfi Coast, as well, as some of it was filmed near Positano.

“Tea With Mussolini” – A 1999 film starring Cher, Lily Tomlin, and others...a surprisingly VERY good film, based on a true story, of the Tuscan area during WWII. Because Brainy Brad is into history, this was an awesome film that showed what happened in Florence (and the people) during WWII.

“Room With A View” – (1985) Although the second half of the movie is in England, the first part of the movie has views of Florence…but...check the ratings on this. I know there's a brief nude scene with guys swimming at a pond.

Rome

We also watched that BBC short video on gladiators, that's entitled: "Pompeii: The Last Day/Colosseum: A Gladiator's Story (2005). AWESOME set!!! Very accurate and informative.

“Gladiator” (2000) is a good full length movie, although the Boy Klingons enjoyed it more than Mickey.

I tried to get the kids to watch “Ben-Hur” – but it was too long; they didn’t enjoy it as much. Another good movie would be “Cleopatra” with Elizabeth Taylor…as it shows a bit of Roman history.

For the Vatican, we watched “The Agony and the Ectasy” (1965) – fantastic movie about the Sistine Chapel. Kids loved it.

Athens

The kids’ favorite movie (we watched it SEVERAL times) was “My Life in Ruins.” (2009) They didn’t get into “Zorba the Greek” as much.

Ephesus/Kusadasi

I got nothin’. Really.

Santorini

The “Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants” movies…although supposedly “Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life” was filmed in Santorini. We didn’t watch it, though.

I hope this list helps...! We'd also watch YouTube videos online, for things such as the cable car ride up the cliffs of Santorini (hoping that would help Too-Tall Taylor and his fear of heights...not sure if it made it better or worse, actually!) or the coastline drive of the Amalfi Coast...there are hundreds of videos out there online that can give you an idea of what to expect.

Sherri - Where did you find all the movies, especially “The Agony and the Ecstasy”?

When you were in Rome, did you get a chance to go to Via Margutta 51 where the apartment scenes belonging to Gregory Peck (in the Roman Holiday film) was located? That was one of my missions when we were last there. Fun locating it, and well worth the bother. The street is gorgeous! I took lots of photos.

Edited by Iamthesea

I just found this review and LOVE IT so far! I have had my eye on this itinerary for a few years now. Hopefully, we will be blessed to do it in 2014. I have only read the first two pages so far, but tonight I will not be watching television. This looks like it will be all the entertainment I need.:D

Fantastic Review Sherri,

I laughed when I read about Mickey and the restroom issue only because this happened to us in every port city on our Baltic cruise last summer. My husband drinks about 6-8 cups of coffee every morning. After spending 20 minutes trying to locate the first one in London and then to find out they charge to enter (of course he had no change) you would think he would re-think that third cup. But no, it went on for 12 more days.

This happened in Ephesus (Turkey) correct?

Thanks so much,

Sheal

Our Movie List

Cannes/Monte Carlo

Florence

Rome

Athens

Ephesus/Kusadasi

I got nothin’. Really.

Santorini

I'm surprised you didn't watch Angels & Demons for Rome. I took the tour that follows this book/movie when I was in Rome last year. We couldn't do them in order due to logistics and time constraints, but we did get to see them all.

I'm surprised you didn't watch Angels & Demons for Rome. I took the tour that follows this book/movie when I was in Rome last year. We couldn't do them in order due to logistics and time constraints, but we did get to see them all.

DH and I tried to do our own Angels and Demons tour and were moderately successful... Unfortunately Santa Maria della Vittoria is currently under MAJOR renovation, plus is closed from 12-3:30 everyday so we couldn't fit it in. The whole front of the church is encased in scaffolding. Maybe next trip to Rome.

Sherri,

Thanks so much for your amazing review!!! I am at home recovering from having my gall bladder removed in an unplanned surgery this week and have spent 7 hours reading your entire review today! (Have you had your gallbladder out or just pampering it to not get upset? YOu mentioned it a couple of times..so now I am curious)

I am going on Carnival Sunshine (The Destiny will become the sunshine after 49 day dry dock in the spring) 14 day Mediterranean cruise in April 2013 so will, thankfully, be missing the heat you mention in most of your posts.

I loved hearing about the family antics on the trip and feel like you would be an amazing person to run into on a cruise like this...you know, Sherri from Cruise Critic! We will be visiting Athens, Ephesus (via Izmir), Naples and Florence, and ending in Barcelona (after starting in Venice)...your reviews are quite helpful!

You have quite a talent in writing...review was engaging, informative, and entertaining...so thank you!!! Keep up the great work!

(And I will definitely think of you when I walk by David in Florence!:D)

After many days of reading each and every page in bits and pieces, I am finally done.

Absolutely astounding. I don't think I will ever attempt to write another review because it can't come within miles of yours. We took a very similar cruise a couple of years ago and I feel like I missed a lot reading your review. I'm saving it in case we ever go back that way so I can see what I didn't see before.

We do private tours whenever possible. I used Revelation tours and was very pleased with them EXCEPT in Provence. All we had was a driver. Thank goodness I didn't organize it. I really felt for the lady that did when I heard all the griping going on around me. I made a point to tell her that I appreciated her taking it on and sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't meet our expectations and not to let it get to her. The scenery alone was enough for me.

In Athens, I had a cab lined up which turned out to be a good thing. It was iffy we would even go into Athens because all the public buildings workers were going to strike. At the last minute they didn't but we were told public transportation might strike and to c'mon down and buy your tour tickets from the ship because the cab drivers could, also, strike in sympathy.

Our driver was right there when we disembarked and gave us a full day tour for 125 euros for two of us. Public transportation did go on strike around noon. Those that depended on it were up a creek as cab fares immediately tripled--that is if you could get a cab. Anytime our cab stopped for a light, etc., we were swarmed with people peeping in the windows to see if there was a seat. You had tourists and locals all fighting for a ride.

I asked my driver if they ever went on strike in "sympathy." He laughed and said he loved it when public transportation went on strike, he made a fortune.

Used the same company you did in Turkey. We were not given the choice of lunch/factory/ship. At the end, he asked if we wanted to stop for lunch and when we said we didn't (majority ruled), he took us to a rug factory. I must admit it was very interesting and not very long. I came home with a new appreciation of my ratty orientals. During the sales portion, they served us snacks and beverages. By the time we finished eating (and listening), they were done with the selling. No one bought anything.

What is curious, though, is several months later we got a phone call from the business saying they were in the Houston area and had lots of carpets they didn't want to take home and would we like to come see them. DH swears he never signed a guest book or anything. I don't remember signing anything and, if I did, I always put down a fictitious name and Dime Box, Texas, as my address and the phone number for Dial a Prayer if they want that. The lady that organized it said she never gave them any name but hers and she had never been called. I think DH is the hole in the bucket there (lol). We got called another time from them, too.

A favor to ask. I have eliminated signatures from my forums which I did a long time ago. Have no idea how I did it and no idea how to get them back. Would you be so kind as to post your blog url for me?

Onward to the Freedom. Can't wait.

Thanks.

Tucker in Texas

• 1 month later...

Hi Sherri,

I found your review only a week ago & have found it one of the most enjoyable & amusing reviews ever ! Thank you so much for sharing it & also the work that has gone into producing it.

I am on Serenade on the 8th Nov 2012 on a similar itinerary sailing from Barcelona & I am planning a pre cruise dinner on the 7th, I have contacted Taller de Tapas but their prices seem to have increased since your trip, the cheapest menu being 31 euros - just under $40. Also they state "Once you have chosen the menu to confirm your reservation we ask for a deposit of 50% of the total invoice. This can be paid for directly in the restaurant or by bank transfer."

Did you have to pay the 50% up front ?

Many thanks

Donna

Hi Sherri,

I found your review only a week ago & have found it one of the most enjoyable & amusing reviews ever ! Thank you so much for sharing it & also the work that has gone into producing it.

I am on Serenade on the 8th Nov 2012 on a similar itinerary sailing from Barcelona & I am planning a pre cruise dinner on the 7th, I have contacted Taller de Tapas but their prices seem to have increased since your trip, the cheapest menu being 31 euros - just under $40. Also they state "Once you have chosen the menu to confirm your reservation we ask for a deposit of 50% of the total invoice. This can be paid for directly in the restaurant or by bank transfer."

Did you have to pay the 50% up front ?

Many thanks

Donna

i don't think i remember sherri saying she had to pay anything up front. i myself, would not do that due to people changing their minds, getting lost and not making the dinner, etc., etc. that's a shame it's already so different from when Sherri booked. this sure was a great review, right? i soooooo enjoyed reading it!

• 1 month later...

Hi Sherri,

I've enjoyed both of your reviews. Great job! Have you been back to Ft. Myers recently? Also I wanted to give something back and you may already know about this. For those who like to invest RCL offers on board credit if you own 100 shares of stock. http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-shareholderbenefit

Cheers, George

• 5 weeks later...