Middle Aged Drama Queen's Eastern Med Review: Serenade, Pics, Surprises & Fun!

Hi,

I happened to stumble across this thread while searching for some information on a RCCL Med. cruise, and I certainly am glad I did! One of the best, if not THE BEST cruise review I've ever read on Cruise Critic (or anywhere else). Thanks for providing such a great review to read, and providing great tips for anyone going to the Med. on a cruise. We are planning a Med. Cruise for this summer, and this review has been very helpful in the process!

Thanks!

This thread is over a year and a half old, but still relevant. We did this same cruise and used all the info to create an awesome cruise!!!!

Hey Rascalious! We still have great memories from our Baltic cruise! We are following Sherri's itinerary almost to the tee and have found it extremely helpful in our planning. Will be sailing in 5 months. Can't believe how time has gone so quickly! Say hi to the Mrs.! Take care and happy cruising!

Dolfans from Miami

When I first read this review it was when we were all waiting with anticipation for the next story. I didn't think I would ever get the chance to do the same trip. Well we are going in May!

I have one question for you Sherri - you say that you would/could have done Santorini on your own instead of the tour. What would you have done and how would you have done it?

Hi,

I happened to stumble across this thread while searching for some information on a RCCL Med. cruise, and I certainly am glad I did! One of the best, if not THE BEST cruise review I've ever read on Cruise Critic (or anywhere else). Thanks for providing such a great review to read, and providing great tips for anyone going to the Med. on a cruise. We are planning a Med. Cruise for this summer, and this review has been very helpful in the process!

Thanks!

Yay - thank you! I'm so glad you found this helpful! I hope you have a FANTASTIC time on your cruise this summer - so jealous; I wish I was going back!!!

When I first read this review it was when we were all waiting with anticipation for the next story. I didn't think I would ever get the chance to do the same trip. Well we are going in May!

I have one question for you Sherri - you say that you would/could have done Santorini on your own instead of the tour. What would you have done and how would you have done it?

Take the city bus up to the church, for the view - and then perhaps visit the winery, which was delicious! Some friends of ours did the hike, and they really enjoyed that, as well, altho it was hot, HOT, that day - so take plenty of water if you're into hiking. It's a pretty small island - you can't really get lost. Stroll the streets of town and take in the scenery; indulge in some of the local food - delicious!

• 2 weeks later...
Take the city bus up to the church, for the view - and then perhaps visit the winery, which was delicious! Some friends of ours did the hike, and they really enjoyed that, as well, altho it was hot, HOT, that day - so take plenty of water if you're into hiking. It's a pretty small island - you can't really get lost. Stroll the streets of town and take in the scenery; indulge in some of the local food - delicious!

We did a tour from Fira (the town on the other side of the island from Oija, where the ship docks) with the friends (of Sherri & us) who had hiked across the island. We all met up with each other at the boat dock in Fira and did a boat tour of the volcanic hot springs. The boat stopped at a restaurant (on the water-totally cool) first, then took us out to the hot springs, where we swam off the boat. it was awesome! Our family took the tram from the boat up to Oija, then walked through town & found the bus stop (which took longer than expected), bussed over to the other side of the island, and walked down the donkey poop laden path to the Fira boat dock. The captain took us to the Oija dock at the end of the our, so we didn't have to mess with cable cars down or anything. It was very reasonable with our party of 11.

Suggestions--don't wait until 11:00 to get off the ship when your tour leaves from Fira at 1:00.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you again Sherrie for this review which really assisted us on a similar trip in Nov. 12. One port we didn't get to was Barcelona and I have been waiting a long time to take the tapas tour there. Well, May 14 is the day. We are purposely spending a night in Barcelona so we can take this trip around Barcelona.

• 1 month later...

We are heading out on our own med cruise in 89 days so picked up some great tips from your review. Can you tell me what site you used to book tixs for colosseum, statue of david at accademia and la familia sagrada. Looks like the church tixs were only 30 days out when I tried couple websites.

• 2 weeks later...

whew after several days of reading ( not all in one swoop :D ) I finally finished this review and it was sooooo much fun.

My mom and I are going on an Eastern Mediterranean cruise this fall and I know I will definatly be referring back to this review a lot before then for info and excitement factor.

Thanks so much for taking the time. I know it was written quite a while ago but still so helpful! :D

Gena

• 4 weeks later...

So this is my 3rd time reading your review, yes 3rd time! I am taking my daughter and son on the same cruise June 16th and I can't be anymore excited. Thank you so much for writing this and I plan to do one when we get back and only hope it is half as entertaining and informational as yours.:)

Sooo happy I found this thread! Have read it all the last week, as we are doing the western Med next summer on lady Allure. Wish I had all this info on our western Med cruise on Liberty in 2011, but we get a new chance!

Have read your review of the Allure too - so I'm prepared for the ultimate journey! Going with DH and our family of three generations - youngest 3 next summer and oldest.... - well never mind :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

WOW!!! You hit the ball right out of the park with this review. I only wish I had read it prior to our second Med cruise in April 2013 since we visited several of the same ports. Unfortunately, your descriptiveness and wit may cost me a few thousand bucks because The Boss is now demanding another trip to Europe. :D

Thanks for much for sharing this labor of love and letting us relive our trips though your words and pictures. You have a wonderful family and hope you continue your travels together for a long time.

Z and TB

• 1 month later...
Good luck! Tell him it can be your birthday, Christmas & anniversary present combined - all wrapped up in one neat package with a giant bow! :)

Persistence paid off. After continually checking on prices and a lot of saving we booked a b2b on Splendour. We leave in 6 more sleeps! I have used your review as a basis for our research. I can't wait :D

• 3 months later...