Vaporetto in Venice

Caribbean Sunset

Anyone that has been to Venice I could use your help. Is it worth the money to buy a 24 or 36 hour pass to ride the Vaporetto in Venice ?

We thought it was great value. When you have a pass, you don,t hesitate to hop on whenever you don't feel like walking. Also good for your trip to Murano, Burano, and Torcello.

It is a simple math question. If you are considering a 24 hour pass then it is a good buy as long as you use the vaporettos at least 3 times in that 24 hour period. You can make the same type of calculation for any time period when you simply factor in the 7 Euro per trip ticket. If you are planning to use the vaporettos to go to some of the outlying islands (Murano, Burano, Torcello, Lido, etc) then the passes usually more then pay for themselves. But if you plan on simply spending all of your time on Venice and expect to do a lot of walking it may not be such a good deal. We tend to take advantage of the #1 and #2 lines (these are the two lines that run frequently around the island of Venice) and having a pass makes it a no-brainer when we just want to jump on the vaporetto. When we are in Venice for more then 1 day we also take advantage of the vaporettos to make a trip to Murano and Burano (our favorite place to get away from the crowds of Venice) so a pass makes a lot of sense for us.

Hank

We thought it was great value. When you have a pass, you don,t hesitate to hop on whenever you don't feel like walking. Also good for your trip to Murano, Burano, and Torcello.

I will echo this, we used a pass and because it was so easy ended up riding nine times in just one day going out to the other islands. Well worth it. Correct me if I am wrong but I think it is 7 euro per single trip. Ride three times and you've paid for a 24 hour pass. :)

Bill

Hank,

I guess what we first timers really don't know is, besides murano and Burano, what must sees require a vparetto ride from point A to point B? Are sites so far apart we'd be exhausted walking?

For us, we were staying in a hotel near Piazzale Roma so many of the sites were a lengthy walk. Over the days we were there we did walk from the hotel to places such as St Marks. It is not a long walk and it was fun to figure out how to navigate the streets but it can be time consuming if you do it over and over again.

Second night we had dinner at a restaurant down by the Rialto Bridge and having a pass made it much easier and less time consuming to just hop a vaporetto down to the bridge and back again after the meal.

Anyone that has been to Venice I could use your help. Is it worth the money to buy a 24 or 36 hour pass to ride the Vaporetto in Venice ?

Since you mention possibly getting a 36 hour pass, I assume you're in Venice somewhat near that length of time. The 36 hour pass costs 25 Euros. That means you'll save money starting with your 4th trip on a vaporetto. I think it's very possible you will make that many trips and then some. In my 3 days, I walked and walked a LOT including to/from my hotel at Piazelle Roma to the San Marco area. BUT I also probably rode the vaporetto's 8 times or more. I rode to and from Murano, Lido, and the 2 islands directly across the lagoon from San Marco. I also rode up and down the entire length of the Grand Canal at least once each. I lost track. I tend to move around a lot when I sightsee, but I suspect you'll probably use the vaporettos at least 4 times and make the pass worth the money. It's also nice to have it to just run up and swipe the electronic sign and step on board without having to find the right currency and get a ticket each time.

Yes, And we typically buy it on line at veniceconnected prior to going. Last time we enjoyed an additional 30 percent discount based upon the particular day on which the pass commenced. It was a three day pass. We use the vaporettos often. We think it is a bargain....but we do a lot of walking and a lot of touring on our own.

Yes, And we typically buy it on line at veniceconnected prior to going. Last time we enjoyed an additional 30 percent discount based upon the particular day on which the pass commenced. It was a three day pass. We use the vaporettos often. We think it is a bargain....but we do a lot of walking and a lot of touring on our own.

Same here. Our pass for May was 4 euros cheaper online.

Also remember the pass also includes any ride on a Venice city bus. Consequently I spent three nights in Mestre at a great hotel, half the price of similar in Venice,and had three lovely dinners for half the price and twice the quality.

Do I need to buy a pass from the cruise terminal to city center? The Alilugana line is not covered by the vaporetto pass, but I can't tell if I really need this one.

thanks,

Kelly

The Alilaguna Line has its own ticket system and a very limited itinerary within Venice. On our many visits to Venice we have always avoided the Alilaguna because we always preferred to spend our money on a vaporetto pass. Yes, you can spend 7 Euros to take the Alilaguna from the port to St Marco...but you could also spend 1 Euro to take the People Mover over to the Piazale Roma where you can get the much more frequently running vaporettos. I guess its a personal preference but we will be back in Venice for a cruise in October and will not be spending any Euros on the Alilaguna.

Hank

Which Vaporetto would I take from Piazzale Roma to Murano/Burano?

Thak you

Wandy2

To get directly to Murano you would take the #3 or #42The 42 will take about 40 minutes (because of many stops) but its a lovely ride and you do not have to change vaporettos. The #3 is more of an express and makes it in about 30 min. Burano is a different story. You will need to take any of several vaporetto lines from the P. Roma to F. te Nove. From there you have to walk about 5 min (keep the canal on your right) to the dock for the #12. As I mentioned in an earlier post, getting to Burano can take 1 1/2 hours depending on connections. Once you get on the #12 its still a good 40 min ride..but its a nice way to cruise across the lagoon.

When you first get over to the P. Roma you can stop in the ACTV (vaporetto) ticket office and buy (they are not free) a good vaporetto map. The free way is just to walk down to the vaporetto docks and read the various signs....and ask for help :)

Hank

Quick question - if I buy the 36 hour vaporetti pass online for my date of arrival in Venice, does it activate at the time of first use? I will not be using the card until mid-afternoon and I want to make sure that it will still be good until 6pm the next day?

Quick question - if I buy the 36 hour vaporetti pass online for my date of arrival in Venice, does it activate at the time of first use? I will not be using the card until mid-afternoon and I want to make sure that it will still be good until 6pm the next day?

Correct. Once you validate (make sure to do so BEFORE boarding the vaporetto), the 24 hr clock starts.

Correct. Once you validate (make sure to do so BEFORE boarding the vaporetto), the 24 hr clock starts.

I asked on another board but I'll ask here too - anyone know anything about the Vaporetto dell’Arte which is the vaporetto for the grand canal? It can be added to the 36 hr ticket for 10e. Worth it?

http://www.vaporettoarte.com/index.php/en/

We purchased the pass from veniceconnected and picked it up at the airport. We hopped on the #5 bus (I think) at the airport and it took us to P. Roma (light packers). The bus ride was included in the pass. We also got a very good map of Venice for 2E at the same place...so good in fact that we will be using it on our third visit to vencice since May of last year.

Archived