Is one Mayan ruin excursion enough?

KellyR

Hello ppeckham,

My cruise leaves on May 22. I really had my heart set on Chichen Itza but it wasn't offerred on this itinerary. I had thought about Tulum but wanted to see ruins in more of a jungle-like setting so I chose Chacchoben........see ruins in two different countries and compare. I had thought about Altun Ha in Belize but I heard Xunantunich is a much larger site.

This is great. We'll be able to compare notes.

Kelly,

When are you going?

I'll be in Costa Maya and Belize in mid-July. We are taking the Chacchoben tour in Costa Maya and the Altun Ha/River Wallace tour in Belize.

If you don't cruise until later, I can give you my feedback on the two.

I, too, enjoy history. The Tulum ruins were incredible. I don't believe any of the places mentioned in this thread are those with just a few stones.

I know we'd like to hear about it......we go in October

You are right.....the ones in Cozumel are interesting....(but best I remember) there was only one small decent structure......the rest was pretty much rubble...unless they have done some improvements since I was there in 1989..

The Tulum ruins are a long trip........But well worth it.

IMPROVEMENTS!!!!!?????? Hey, these are NOT urban renewal projects they're RUINS!!! If you improved them, you'd ruin it!!! Get i??

BnB

IMPROVEMENTS!!!!!?????? Hey, these are NOT urban renewal projects they're RUINS!!! If you improved them, you'd ruin it!!! Get i??

BnB

Oh Come On......A new roof......some tile floors......A little Air Conditioning, it would be so much nicer........they could make the ruins into Little Shops and

Restaurant's ......Uhhhhhh, Just Kidding :eek:

LoL...:rolleyes: ......guess that was a bad term.......at some sites they continue to discover other structures.......or restore (slightly) the fallen structures..

Course I doubt that is true about the ruins in Cozumel....

.many were pushed apart over time by nature.....tree rootsl, etc.......

If you could see some of the pictures of places like Chichen Itza or Tulum when they were first re-discovered.....all it looked like was jungle with rocks.

I know we'd like to hear about it......we go in October

I'll try to remember to come back to this thread after our trip. Hopefully Kelly will as well since she is opting for a different ruin in Belize. You can compare notes then.

Phyllis

KellyR,

I too had my heart set on seeing theChichen Itza ruins but we didn’t have enough time in the port so after much research I decided to book the tour to the Kohunlich Ruins (the city with masks) even though it was a longer bus ride than Chacchoben.

Unfortunately because of the weather we were not able to dock in Costa Maya. So keep in mind that sometimes this port is missed when you are making your decision and consider a backup plan.

Luckily, I hadn’t booked anything in Cozumel and we were able to visit Tulum. Although, it really was hot there, we found it very interesting.

Pam

So I'm still waiting......someone has to have been to these ruins already..

If we have to pick one.....which is the best, most extensive / impressive ??

• Chacchoben ruins in Costa Maya
  • Xunantunich ruins in Belize

I'd take a look at the other excursions in both ports and take a look at the track record of the ship visiting the ports at the time you are going to determine which ruins if you are only doing one.

Archived