Cape Horn

SailinC2C

We are looking at booking this cruise for Jan 30 or Feb 25th. Can anyone tell me if there is an advantage or disadvantage to either sailing from Santiago or Buenos Aires?

I had heard that Argentina had prevented the Star from docking if they had stopped at the Falklands before Argentina. Does anyone know if this is still a problem?

We are looking at booking this cruise for Jan 30 or Feb 25th. Can anyone tell me if there is an advantage or disadvantage to either sailing from Santiago or Buenos Aires?

I had heard that Argentina had prevented the Star from docking if they had stopped at the Falklands before Argentina. Does anyone know if this is still a problem?

You'll enjoy the trip. Wife & I did the reverse (Santiago to Rio) last year and didn't have any political issues. We also did Machu Picchu before the cruise began and highly recommend this land tour.

I think the Falklands thing is still up in the air. We were there last year; expect to stop there again in 2013. I hope.

I don't believe that the Star has actually been prevented from docking but the Argentine government has apparently caused some problems from time to time including our 2/18/2010 cruise but that is for another post.

Some of the main reasons to do the Cape Horn voyage are to 'Round Cape Horn, see the tidewater glaciers in Chile and to see Penguins. The Falklands is the best place to see penguins, but it is a tender port and can be missed due to weather conditions. Before the addition of Puerto Madryn, the only backup port for penguins was Punta Arenas which favored the BA to Santiago route but that is now not a major factor IMHO.

The primary difference then is one of timing for the Scenic Cruising portions. Sailing from Santiago to BA those are in the morning (Amalia Glacier at 7:00 AM, Beagle Channel prior to Ushuaia about 10:00 AM and rounding Cape Horn at 8:00 AM) while in the late afternoon (rounding Cape Horn at 5:00 PM, Beagle Channel after Ushuaia at about 6:00 PM and Amalia Glacier at 4:00 PM) sailing from BA to Santiago.

The only other consideration is the time in Ushuaia. From BA to Santiago you are in port from 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM and that was good timing for our private tour including the End of the World Train and the rest of the sights. We even had time for a nice crab lunch before going back on board. From Santiago to BA you are in port in the afternoon and for one hour less from 12:00PM to 8:00 PM.

You probably won't go wrong either way. If you are getting a balcony cabin, I would strongly suggest port for Santiago to BA and starboard for BA to Santiago. The five main glaciers in the Beagle Channel, Holanda, Italia, Francia, Alemania and Romanche, are all on the north side of the Channel and we had fantastic views from our balcony :)

we were on the last cruise Feb 18, 2012 that was denied boarding into Ushuia...

I don't think it is anything that can be determined ahead of time. In fact up until the early hours of the morning the Captain wasn't even sure we were not docking. It was a demonstration and occupation of a ship at the berth we were to stop at. Read my blog - link below and search Ushuia to read more.

But in the end it was a great day.

Note that this was the first time last season that the Star was denied stopping at Ushuia.

Hope this helps

Vickie

I don't believe that the Star has actually been prevented from docking but the Argentine government has apparently caused some problems from time to time including our 2/18/2010 cruise but that is for another post.

Some of the main reasons to do the Cape Horn voyage are to 'Round Cape Horn, see the tidewater glaciers in Chile and to see Penguins. The Falklands is the best place to see penguins, but it is a tender port and can be missed due to weather conditions. Before the addition of Puerto Madryn, the only backup port for penguins was Punta Arenas which favored the BA to Santiago route but that is now not a major factor IMHO.

The primary difference then is one of timing for the Scenic Cruising portions. Sailing from Santiago to BA those are in the morning (Amalia Glacier at 7:00 AM, Beagle Channel prior to Ushuaia about 10:00 AM and rounding Cape Horn at 8:00 AM) while in the late afternoon (rounding Cape Horn at 5:00 PM, Beagle Channel after Ushuaia at about 6:00 PM and Amalia Glacier at 4:00 PM) sailing from BA to Santiago.

The only other consideration is the time in Ushuaia. From BA to Santiago you are in port from 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM and that was good timing for our private tour including the End of the World Train and the rest of the sights. We even had time for a nice crab lunch before going back on board. From Santiago to BA you are in port in the afternoon and for one hour less from 12:00PM to 8:00 PM.

You probably won't go wrong either way. If you are getting a balcony cabin, I would strongly suggest port for Santiago to BA and starboard for BA to Santiago. The five main glaciers in the Beagle Channel, Holanda, Italia, Francia, Alemania and Romanche, are all on the north side of the Channel and we had fantastic views from our balcony :)

I sailed Santiago to Argentina, and DID have the Ushuaia port "7am to about 5pm, so it is available on other lines. The highlight was the Falklands, and I was able to get to Volunteer Point, walk up booking, independent. I also had no problem driving to Punto Tumbo for excellent penguin views. :) Cheap option with 4.

We were also on the Feb 18th voyage. When we arrived in Punta Arenas the Penguins had departed Otway Sound. We had to go to Magdalena Island which was a 2 hr. ferry ride each way.

The entire cruise was wonderful. The waters were glass calm at cape horn. Can't promise it will be the same, when you are there.

We were denied docking at Ushuaia for political reasons, but that turned out to be a plus as we had a wonderful day viewing the glaciers at the southern end of the world.

Joe Mayo was the port lecturer, and he was very good. He kind of indicated he would return again this season. Hope so.

we were on the last cruise Feb 18, 2012 that was denied boarding into Ushuia...

I don't think it is anything that can be determined ahead of time. In fact up until the early hours of the morning the Captain wasn't even sure we were not docking. It was a demonstration and occupation of a ship at the berth we were to stop at. Read my blog - link below and search Ushuia to read more.

But in the end it was a great day.

Note that this was the first time last season that the Star was denied stopping at Ushuia.

Hope this helps

Vickie

We had sort of the opposite problem on our 2/18/2010 cruise. There were strong winds that prevented the Star from departing at 4:00 PM. Winds had died down before 6:00 PM but the port authorities did not allow us to depart until after 11:00 PM and as a result we missed Punta Arenas the next day. The upside was that we stayed near port and spend 2-3 hours cruising leisurely past the glaciers in the Beagle Channel the next morning.
I sailed Santiago to Argentina, and DID have the Ushuaia port "7am to about 5pm, so it is available on other lines. The highlight was the Falklands, and I was able to get to Volunteer Point, walk up booking, independent. I also had no problem driving to Punto Tumbo for excellent penguin views. :) Cheap option with 4.
When did you sail past the Beagle Channel glaciers? OP was talking about Star Princess cruises and therefor the comments I made.

We were also on the Feb 18th voyage. When we arrived in Punta Arenas the Penguins had departed Otway Sound. We had to go to Magdalena Island which was a 2 hr. ferry ride each way.

The entire cruise was wonderful. The waters were glass calm at cape horn. Can't promise it will be the same, when you are there.

We were denied docking at Ushuaia for political reasons, but that turned out to be a plus as we had a wonderful day viewing the glaciers at the southern end of the world.

Joe Mayo was the port lecturer, and he was very good. He kind of indicated he would return again this season. Hope so.

Joe May is THE best when it comes to South American ports. I've know and sailed with him for many years and each year he says he's going to retire. I do hope he hasn't as yet and will be around for our cruise.

IECALCRUISER- thanks for the info regarding port vs. starboard. Thanks everyone else too.

I notice some of you have mentioned all the Penguins. We probably don't want to see them in all 3 places you can see them. what would be the best place to see the penguins? Was this done on a ships tour or done independently?

We did this cruise (from BA to Valpariso) three or so years ago, a great cruise on Princess. Talk to us when we meet in a few weeks.

SAS

It is worth noting that HAL has cut out all its calls to the Falklands through next year. Since I'll be sailing in December, I called Princess the other day to ask about that. The CS person kicked the question upstairs; as of now, Princess hasn't followed suit. Which doesn't mean that it won't.

IECALCRUISER- thanks for the info regarding port vs. starboard. Thanks everyone else too.

I notice some of you have mentioned all the Penguins. We probably don't want to see them in all 3 places you can see them. what would be the best place to see the penguins? Was this done on a ships tour or done independently?

The best penguin tour IMHO is the tour to Volunteer Point in the Falklands. It's an hour and a half trip on roads and peat bogs in a 4x4 to get there and the same back, but oh the penguins! Princess tour was about $350 but Patrick Watts was doing it for under $200. I hope he is still doing the trip as he is well over 60 now and that is a rough trip to do day after day during cruise season.

It is worth noting that HAL has cut out all its calls to the Falklands through next year. Since I'll be sailing in December, I called Princess the other day to ask about that. The CS person kicked the question upstairs; as of now, Princess hasn't followed suit. Which doesn't mean that it won't.
Maybe they should tell the Argentines that they are stopping at the Malvinas!

The best penguin tour IMHO is the tour to Volunteer Point in the Falklands. It's an hour and a half trip on roads and peat bogs in a 4x4 to get there and the same back, but oh the penguins! Princess tour was about $350 but Patrick Watts was doing it for under $200. I hope he is still doing the trip as he is well over 60 now and that is a rough trip to do day after day during cruise season.

i agree, i went to south america because i wanted to see penguins. and wow! seeing the king penguins at volunteer point was the best! i also went with patrick watts.

if you want to see the penguins at Magdalena and not do the ship's ferry option, I highly recommend Solo Expeditions - they were amazing $70 each and very quick and small group (probably the best tour we did all voyage)

I should say though that the penguins are different at the Falklands than they are at Ushuia.

vickie

i agree, i went to south america because i wanted to see penguins. and wow! seeing the king penguins at volunteer point was the best! i also went with patrick watts.
At about 3 feet tall, the King Penguins are the second largest penguin and look like a mini version of an Emperor Penguin. It was fascinating watching 100s in one large group :) and the Gentoos and The Magellenics. Other than the South Georgia Islands, the Falklands is the only place to see Kings.

Volunteer Point is the best stop for Penguins. You will see 7 species of penguins at this site. Patrick Watts does an excellent well organized tour and well worth booking with him in the Falklands. Just be prepared to spend some time going over bog areas to get to the Point which can be tricky but the team of drivers Patrick uses have full control of the trip and they know the territory! We did this excursion in February 2010 and absolutely thought it was our best land tour on our Antarctica trip on the Star Princess.

I've done this cruise twice, once on Princess, once on HAL. To be honest, my HAL cruise ranks as one of my favorite cruises out of all of them. Far better than my Princess cruise. Much better cruising experience in this part of the world. Just saying.

I'd cruise from BA to Santiago when given the choice if only because dealing with the Chilean reciprocity fee at the airport was a major pain. Awful. If you arrive in Santiago by ship, you avoid this.

Be careful when booking with Patrick Watts in the Falklands. He quoted us in £ and US$. I made the assumption that his quote for US$ would change with the exchange rate. My bad. When I went to pay the equivalent of the original £ converted to $ at the current rate, I was told, "Oh, no. You owe the original $ quote" even though there was a $75/pp difference between the quote and current exchange. I wish I'd planned to pay in £ as that was a significant difference. That left a sour note to a great tour.

I've done this cruise twice, once on Princess, once on HAL. To be honest, my HAL cruise ranks as one of my favorite cruises out of all of them. Far better than my Princess cruise. Much better cruising experience in this part of the world. Just saying.
Everyone's cruise experience is different. Our 2010 cruise on the Star was probably the best of our far fewer cruises in spite of, or perhaps because of, the Chilean Earthquake. We have gotten together with four other couples on that cruise since then.
I'd cruise from BA to Santiago when given the choice if only because dealing with the Chilean reciprocity fee at the airport was a major pain. Awful. If you arrive in Santiago by ship, you avoid this.
Unfortunately, now you have the same fee that must be paid at the BA airport. You can't escape it. Although the process was fairly "painless", other than our wallet being $260 lighter for the two of use.

I notice some of you have mentioned all the Penguins. We probably don't want to see them in all 3 places you can see them. what would be the best place to see the penguins?

All of them.

By the way, if you plan to see them only in one port, be prepared that you might not make that port and thus not see them at all.

2486105130016033894S600x600Q85.jpg

By the way, if you plan to see them only in one port, be prepared that you might not make that port and thus not see them at all.
Plus, you'll see different species in different ports. They're not all alike nor "if you've seen one, you've seen them all."

All of them.

Plus, you'll see different species in different ports. They're not all alike nor "if you've seen one, you've seen them all."

both very good points, our experience in the Falkklands was amazing, but the ride there was one I wouldn't want to have to do again... long and bumby.

Pam - I remember you warning us about Patrick Watts and currency so when we booked I got him to quote in pounds and paid in pounds too this saved us from converting Canadian to US then him converting pounds to US. Thanks worked out great for us to just convert once to pounds.

The experience on Magdallena Island was truely amazing, a lot more penguins than at Volunteer point but they were more spead out and we were just the 22 of us from our tour on the island.

want to go back

Archived