Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SailinC2C

Cape Horn

Supposedly the West to East transit of the Magellan Straight is smoother; the wind almost always blows west to east. The captain came on the evening we left Punta Arenas saying that he expected beaufort 7-8 winds around 5am the next morning as we exited the Straight, sure enough, it was quite bumpy. It lasted till about 9am and then calmed down as we entered the chillean fjords, as forecasted.

We did the north pond tour in the falklands and it was amazing; it was a long trip but authentic and probably about as far as you can get from an organized tour provided by the cruise line (if you are into that sort of thing). Basically 6 locals in their ORV's took us on a 2 hr trip to a locale with Gentoo and Magellanic penguins. A heard charged toward me when I had my camera on, got within 10 feet or so, stopped, and basically walked on both sides of me. My wife sat on a log for the whole 2 hrs in the midst of the colony, and when it was time to leave, she was surrounded.

There are several books and maps you may be interested in. I read and used these as we sailed. I probably should have bought several maps and resold them as many people were asking where I bought my map when i would take it out and look. It shows much greater detail than the map the navigators place up. It also shows island sillouhetes so you can tell what islands you are seeing. Combined with the book (which is a combination of a retelling of sailing around the horn as well as history) you will really enjoy this cruise and gain a better appreciation as to why this area of the world is so unique and special. It's too bad Rio isn't on the itinerary this year, it really made it a unique trip with half being a cosmopolitan adventure, the other half being a natural adventure.

Book: Rounding the Horn: Being the Story of Williwaws and Windjammers, Drake, Darwin, Murdered Missionaries and Naked Natives--a Deck's-eye View of Cape Horn [Paperback] by Dallas Murphy

Map: Patagonian & Fuegian Channels Map: Chilean Fjords Cruise Chart - Cape Horn, Ushuaia, Magellan Strait [Map]

You can get both titles on Amazon, combined they are less than $25 I believe. I found the book at my library...come to think, the librarian would probably not have been too pleased to know the book traveled several thousand miles.

We went with Patrick Watts on a private tour arranged with others from here on that cruise's roll call. One of the most exciting sightseeing experiences ever.

Right now I'm looking at a picture of the two of us standing on the peat of the Falklands with king penguins walking all about us.

SAS

I have contacted Patick Watts and he responded quickly. Saturday will be be the big day when we decide if this is a go. I was checking hotel prices in Buenos aries and amazed at how reasonable they are. I think we will probably leave Sat night and arrive Sun noon. We can go direct from Toronto (through Santiago). That will give us lots of time to see the city. I am told the shopping is FANTASTIC!

Our tour with him was amazing! On road, on dirt roads, off roads for two hours until the penquins. We had plenty of time to visit and enjoy a lunch he provided. On the way back to the ship he took us around the island. It was a memorable tour and my favorite of the SA cruise in January! Karen

A key point with the Falklands- is, it is sometimes "canceled". Being a tender port, adds more problems. Patrick Watts is the "leader" of a superb Volunteer Point tour. BUT- in my case, he canceled, due to him almost missing the last tender of the previous ship. He complained about people just not realizing the necessity of getting on those first tenders. I hope, he now, just has a cut off point, and goes as scheduled.

I was on the first tender- so I saw Patrick at the dock, he was going to a closer area with Rockhopper penguines. I booked a walk up tour to Volunteer Point with a husband/wife team- "

Tony", was my 2 week highlight. :)

I have contacted Patick Watts and he responded quickly. I was checking hotel prices in Buenos aries and amazed at how reasonable they are. I think we will probably leave Sat night and arrive Sun noon. We can go direct from Toronto (through Santiago). That will give us lots of time to see the city. I am told the shopping is FANTASTIC!

As I recall, Patrick and his henchmen lined up their 4x4's and left in a caravan of about 20 or so vans. I think the Princess tours contracted with Patrick and were in the last few vans of our caravan. Once we got to Volunteer Point, the drivers put on yellow vests acting as sort of zoo keepers to keep everyone (the humans and the penguins) in order. On the way back one of the vans crapped out, no problem, Patrick put the passengers and the drivers of the stalled SUV in the empty seats on the other vans and on we went with the caravan now of 19 vans. If was mighty cold at Volunteer Point, be prepared.

As for BA, one of my favorite cities in the world, we like it so much we've been there a couple of times. We have noticed the prices of hotels and food slowly creep back up, still a bargain but a few years it was the greatest bargain to be had. Many fine hotels and restaurants.

More later.

SAS