smoosh21

Gibraltar -- Ship Tours

we prebooked a taxi tour as they can all be gone if you're late off the ship or other ships in port

the taxi drivers can get right up close to the top of the rock and may be licensed to deal with the apes-do you want a photo of a barbary ape sitting on your head?

Excellent, detailed maps (same as the ones they give out in port) are linked from cruiseportwiki dot com so you can be more prepared.

Thanks for all the great responses. I still have a long time before this cruise, but it helps.

We are also on this cruise April 2013 and are wondering if you might want to share a taxi since the cable cars will not be operating? Let us know! :o

We did the taxi tour last month. The fare was 22 GBP for the tour which broke out to 10 GBP for the ride and 12 GBP to enter the Preserve. On the way down the rock we had the option of getting off at the WWII tunnels however the taxi doesn't wait so we elected to do this the next time. The tour took about 1.5 hrs and we quite enjoyed it. There are tons of cabs and it is not necessary to book in advance.

If you just want to go into town there are taxis that shuttle for 3 GBP round trip. They give you a ticket that you use for the return. We used the shuttle for the return from town to pier and it was 3 GBP for the two of us.

Incidentally DW has a folding wheelchair that fit very well in the rear of the taxi.

We'll be visiting Gibraltar for the day in May 2013.

I will be traveling with my family that includes my husband and 2 teens, my mother (who has some mobility issues - needs a walker) and my sis and her husband and their 6 month old baby.

If it was just my husband and kids I'd have no problem just walking around and/or hiring a taxi on the spot if needed. Because of the above though I feel we need to have transportation pre-arranged.

I've looked online at a few private tours and they seem really costly compared to just hiring a taxi on the street. Are these tours worth it?

I'm in the very beginning stages of planing our Gibraltar day so I'm still trying to get an idea of how we should approach our time here. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Kristen

We'll be visiting Gibraltar for the day in May 2013.

I will be traveling with my family that includes my husband and 2 teens, my mother (who has some mobility issues - needs a walker) and my sis and her husband and their 6 month old baby.

If it was just my husband and kids I'd have no problem just walking around and/or hiring a taxi on the spot if needed. Because of the above though I feel we need to have transportation pre-arranged.

I've looked online at a few private tours and they seem really costly compared to just hiring a taxi on the street. Are these tours worth it?

I'm in the very beginning stages of planing our Gibraltar day so I'm still trying to get an idea of how we should approach our time here. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Kristen

We were in Gibraltar in September. Because of the Portuguese port pilot strike our ship had to make serious itinerary changes and we arrived to Gibraltar in different time that was previously scheduled. We booked our tour with John Lopez from http://www.gibraltar-rock-tours.com/.

He was very accommodative when we asked him at the last minute to be in the port at 8:00 am instead of 2:00 pm and was waiting for us just outside the cruise terminal when we got out of the ship.

We had a great 3 hour tour around Gibraltar. It looks that we visited all possible tourist places during this time. As we started our tour in the opposite direction that organized tours usually go we were pretty much alone in the Apes Den, St. Michael cave, Hercules Pillars, Great Siege Tunnels. At the end of the tour he just asked us if we want to stay in the town or want to go back to the ship. We decided to stay in the town, but Main Street was so packed with people that pretty soon we turned back and took a local shuttle minibus to return to the ship.

In general before the cruise we didn’t expect much from Gibraltar port and were pleasantly surprised that we loved it. It is very clean and interesting port. I am sure that people can do Gibraltar on your own, it all depends how much you would like to see in the short port stop and how long are you ready to walk. We wanted to see as much as possible without kilometers of walking as we had two people with some mobility issues and we got exactly what we wished for.

We just returned from our cruise and we were in Gibraltar last week. We also used John Lopez and can not say enough good things about him. We had a group of 6 and our tour was over 4 hours. He was waiting outside as planned and really made the visit fantastic. He had so much enthusiasm about his city that you could not help but have a great time. We went everywhere in Gibraltar and since we are airline people, our special request was to drive across the runway. (the runway in Gibraltar is cut in half by a road connecting Gibraltar to Spain. WHen planes take off, they have to close the road to traffic) He saved that until the end.....and drove slowly so we could take lots of pictures. If you want to maximize your day, book a tour in advance!

We are also on this cruise April 2013 and are wondering if you might want to share a taxi since the cable cars will not be operating? Let us know! :o

We will also be on the cruise with you. How did you find out that the cable cars would not be operating as that is what we planned to do.

Rick

and Happy Thanksgiving

The website says the cable car opens at 9:30. Our ship docked at 7 am and we got off right away (it was still dark) and did a slow walk to the cable station just to get an idea of where it was. Just as we were getting there (around 7:45) the ship's excursion bus was pulling up and the ticket office was open. We asked if we could buy our tickets and go up and she said "sure". So we got on the gondola with all the other ship's people and were up the top by 8 am. So if you're in port early and want to do it yourself, check to see if you can get up earlier. While it would have been nice to see some of the sights at the top, we had to be back on board by 1:00 so we admired the view and the monkeys and then walked our way back down to town. The views from the top were amazing.

According to the itinerary, we are in port from 7-4 so hopefully the few extra hours will allow us to not be so rushed.

We just returned from our cruise and we were in Gibraltar last week. We also used John Lopez and can not say enough good things about him. We had a group of 6 and our tour was over 4 hours. He was waiting outside as planned and really made the visit fantastic. He had so much enthusiasm about his city that you could not help but have a great time. We went everywhere in Gibraltar and since we are airline people, our special request was to drive across the runway. (the runway in Gibraltar is cut in half by a road connecting Gibraltar to Spain. WHen planes take off, they have to close the road to traffic) He saved that until the end.....and drove slowly so we could take lots of pictures. If you want to maximize your day, book a tour in advance!

Thankyou for your comments, it's much appreciated. Im glad to know you enjoyed my tour. For the past 20 yrs , my aim has been to provide the best tour service available, to make your visit here a memorable one.

Tour B gives me the opportunity to avoid the crowds and conduct an unrushed tour , visiting all main sites the rock has to offer.

Glad to have been of service.

Take care and all the best.

http://www.gibraltar-rock-tours.com

John.