Cruise Critic Community
thecruiserofships

Newly Built Carnival Ship After Breeze

This year Carnival launched the Breeze and then next year will be redoing the Destiny to make it the Sunshine.

On my last cruise I asked the Future Cruise Desk worker if there are any plans to build a new ship after the Breeze. The worker answered hesitantly that the company is focusing on the Sunshine right now and no information has been released from corporate. However I thought that the worker winked (this could just be my imagination!).

What do you think? Nothing is publicly released, but maybe something is going on behind the scenes at corporate?

Does anybody know or heard anything regarding a newly built ship?

I think a company that is recovering from the Costa incident and who lost money last quarter is probably concentrating on profitability, not going deeper into debt right now. They also missed earnings 4th qtr last year.

It would suprise the heck out of me in this down economy with bookings $$$ not rising that they would be thinking of building a new ship... if any you would think to replace the Costa ship they lost and have no revenue from right now.

While you are wishing.. dont forget that Europe right now is having so many problems .. thats not a great market right now .. euro is so down those cruises are a huge bargain and still having trouble filling ships.

My vote would go to the next ship being built being for Costa.

Edited by firefly333

I dont see new builds but more of the Destnshine conversion for the older Triuimph class ships

Edited by jonbgd

At one time I was hearing that they were going to build more ships close to the Spirit class ships that are sailing now..We have been on the Dream and the Magic and I can say that they are the roughest riding ships that Carnival has...From the rocking and vibration I think they have a design flaw...I'm on the Breeze next January so I guess I'll see how that ship is then........Dennis

Would not expect anything for a year or so. Sunshine might be test case for future.

This year Carnival launched the Breeze and then next year will be redoing the Destiny to make it the Sunshine.

On my last cruise I asked the Future Cruise Desk worker if there are any plans to build a new ship after the Breeze. The worker answered hesitantly that the company is focusing on the Sunshine right now and no information has been released from corporate. However I thought that the worker winked (this could just be my imagination!).

What do you think? Nothing is publicly released, but maybe something is going on behind the scenes at corporate?

Does anybody know or heard anything regarding a newly built ship?

BTW the average future cruise person knows less than the average poster on here. Terrible lack of knowledge of Carnival.

i believe that Carnival is doing the multi million dollar 2.0 Updates to all the ships instead of building new ships. That way all their ships are seeing improvements.

Of course Carnival has a new generation of ships in the works but hasn't released much in the way of news. They will release the information on their schedule.

Evolutions of Fun, Funship 2.0 and Sunshine are simply ways to freshen up existing ships.

I surprised that Costa has not asked for the Splendor back! After all It was built for them. (lol)

I really doubt that they will be anything new for awhile. There is a glut of cruise cabins available and a new ship would merely lower the market price for the other existing cabins. In the past they could redeploy ships to Europe, now that they are going into a recession, where else? Australia might have as many ships as the market can bear, Asia? Don't know if the CCL brand would do well there. At any rate, with all the remodels of the fantasy class ships, i could easily see CCL not getting any new ships for awhile.

As for the Spirit ships, we were told that the goal of the class was to make a ship that feels upscale, that is comfortable in tropics and Alaska or anywhere else that is cold, plus fit through panama canal (panamax). These ships are also the fastest in the fleet, when the pride replaced the elation, CCL boasted that it could spend more time at the ports (never checked to verify it). A big reason why they didn't (and won't) build anymore is that they are fuel thirsty ships (at least this what we were told).

i believe that Carnival is doing the multi million dollar 2.0 Updates to all the ships instead of building new ships. That way all their ships are seeing improvements.

That's what I was going to mention. It is a 500 million dollar project that ends with the Dream's conversion in a few years. I can see them waiting a bit to see how the three ships of the Dream class do before moving forward.

I am sure they have something in mind but might be awhile before they are ready to go into production.

Will have to keep up with competition and 2.0 will only do something for awhile.

I surprised that Costa has not asked for the Splendor back! After all It was built for them. (lol)

How did carnival end up with splendor? instead of costa?

Grouchpuss: It would cost too much to modify Splendor to Costa standards. Interiors are too gaudy for Costa and they would have to replace the whale tail funnel with a legitimate one. Costa already has new tonnage coming.

Vols: when that class was designed and built , the master plan was to have one go to Carnival and the rest to Costa. Cheper that way than build a single ship from scratch when you were already building a bunch all the same. Just put the whale tail on it, and give it a glitzy interior,send it to Carnival and there you go.

I'm not sure Costa needs another ship right now. I am getting two emails daily from Costa with 7 day cruises in Europe starting at $299pp inside.

Grouchpuss: It would cost too much to modify Splendor to Costa standards. Interiors are too gaudy for Costa and they would have to replace the whale tail funnel with a legitimate one. Costa already has new tonnage coming.

Too gaudy for Costa? Joe Farcus who did the all that mess to the Carnival ships is still doing that crap over at Costa.

According to this site ~ http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-ship-orderbook.html Carnival has nothing on order thru 2015

I visited a shipyard in northern Germany. Celebrity Reflection is almost ready to be docked out. They started building Norwegian Breakaway in May. She will be finished next year in April. Building takes about a year.

However they told us design works start about 3 years before they start wealding the first steel. It takes about 4 years from signing a contract until delivery. My opinion there will be no new Carnival ship before the end of 2016.

At one time I was hearing that they were going to build more ships close to the Spirit class ships that are sailing now..We have been on the Dream and the Magic and I can say that they are the roughest riding ships that Carnival has...From the rocking and vibration I think they have a design flaw...I'm on the Breeze next January so I guess I'll see how that ship is then........Dennis

That would make me so happy! I much, much, much prefer that layout.

I thought it was this class ship that was originally destined for another line (MSC? Costa?) but ended up with Carnival. That's why they're so different from the rest of Carnivals variations-on-a-floating-shoebox classes.

Really, all the classes are just enlarged/expanded versions of the Fantasy class with added bells, whistles and balconies.

But you can't pack as many people into the Spirit-class ships. Don't they have a better space ratio than the other classes?

It's all about economies of size. Bigger ships, more passengers. :(

it amazes me that there are still only 4 spirit class vessels in the carnival fleet. and the newest one is 8 years old now. Aand then someone had the brilliance to send one of them down under..

meanwhile, the spirit class is constantly called the carnival favorite, yet they continue to build the "let's cram as many people as we possibly can on" style ships.

and then take the most unpopular ship in the fleet, kill the name, take away public space, add even more people on it, and call it new.

i'm disappointed they didn't have faith in their pinnacle class, and gave away the big ship and very succesful genesis class title to rccl.

a combination carnival fun ship experience on an rccl style ship would be a winning combination.

Edited by H82seaUgo

I really doubt that they will be anything new for awhile. There is a glut of cruise cabins available and a new ship would merely lower the market price for the other existing cabins. In the past they could redeploy ships to Europe, now that they are going into a recession, where else? Australia might have as many ships as the market can bear, Asia? Don't know if the CCL brand would do well there. At any rate, with all the remodels of the fantasy class ships, i could easily see CCL not getting any new ships for awhile.

As for the Spirit ships, we were told that the goal of the class was to make a ship that feels upscale, that is comfortable in tropics and Alaska or anywhere else that is cold, plus fit through panama canal (panamax). These ships are also the fastest in the fleet, when the pride replaced the elation, CCL boasted that it could spend more time at the ports (never checked to verify it). A big reason why they didn't (and won't) build anymore is that they are fuel thirsty ships (at least this what we were told).

too bad about the spirit class,since i really believe they are far better ships than anything else in the industry(at least in that price range)

We prefer the Conquest class actually but have enjoyed the Miracle quite a few times.