Star Flyer:Oslo to Hamburg to Southhampton 18th August

muskatnuss

Yes - as you know from a previous post on another thread we are on both those itineraries. Collected our "tickets" on Tuesday! Dreadful summer here in England so far so we are hoping that we will be blessed with good weather for our holiday. We understand that there are quite a lot of your fellow countrymen on at least one of those itineraries. We have very fond memories of some that we met on a previous Clipper holiday - more about that when we see you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Yes - as you know from a previous post on another thread we are on both those itineraries. Collected our "tickets" on Tuesday! Dreadful summer here in England so far so we are hoping that we will be blessed with good weather for our holiday. We understand that there are quite a lot of your fellow countrymen on at least one of those itineraries. We have very fond memories of some that we met on a previous Clipper holiday - more about that when we see you.

Hi, I'm unsure how to send a message to an individual. From some postings I think JOBAKE may have taken a Baltic Cruise on the Star Flyer and I am hoping to get some insights.

JOBAKE, if you see this can you reply?

Or if anyone else has taken the Star Flyer Baltic cruise I would love to hear from you.

I have sailed with Star Clippers 5 times and always have a fantastic time!

Deb

Deb. Yes - last year we did Oslo - Hamburg and then Hamburg - Southampton back to back on the Star Flyer. I still have the on board daily programmes and am happy to try to provide any information from them and/or our experiences on the Clippers - we have been on all three now. Also now booked on the Royal Clipper for the Grenadines in January 2014.

Deb. Yes - last year we did Oslo - Hamburg and then Hamburg - Southampton back to back on the Star Flyer. I still have the on board daily programmes and am happy to try to provide any information from them and/or our experiences on the Clippers - we have been on all three now. Also now booked on the Royal Clipper for the Grenadines in January 2014.

Thanks for the quick reply! We want to do a Baltic cruise this summer. Do you know if the Star Flyer was docked in each port, or did you have to tender? I was told that the cruise ships dock far from town in St Petersburg, while the Star Flyer is right in town. Was this your experience and did you find it really convenient? Did you use Star Flyer or private tours, or just go on your own? Did you get your own Russian visa?

We like the motion on Star Clippers, but are wondering if the Baltic is very cold? Did you think a sailing ship was a good way to tour that area? We are also considering a cruise ship.

I really appreciate getting a first hand opinion.

We have been on the Royal Clipper in the Caribbean and I did a TA in October 2010. We have been on the Star Clipper in the Caribbean twice and did the Panama Canal in 2011.

Deb

St. Petersburg was not on our Star Flyer itinerary but we have been there on a small/medium sized conventional cruise ship. As it happened our cruise ship docked well in to town. It seems that larger cruise ships tend to dock further out. I feel that may be partly related to the size of the ships, the depth of the channel and navigational considerations. Being close in was noticeably more convenient. We used that cruise ship's tours (two) and thought they were really excellent - the tour gets a group visa so you do not have to bother with that.

"Weather" is a risk in those areas. We went on the conventional cruise ship in September and were blessed with excellent weather. Our Star Flyer holiday was the last two weeks of August last year - not as warm as we hoped but last year was the worst summer for 50 years!

We enjoyed both our trips. Trying to look through your eyes, so to speak, the likelihood of the Star Flyer docking well in to St. Petersburg, the fact that you obviously like the Clippers, and the usually good company of your fellow passengers on the Clippers might incline you towards the Star Flyer. That would be my choice.

You may wish to check out availability on the Star Flyer sooner rather than later!

As you can see we are in Essex - are you anywhere near us by chance?

St. Petersburg was not on our Star Flyer itinerary but we have been there on a small/medium sized conventional cruise ship. As it happened our cruise ship docked well in to town. It seems that larger cruise ships tend to dock further out. I feel that may be partly related to the size of the ships, the depth of the channel and navigational considerations. Being close in was noticeably more convenient. We used that cruise ship's tours (two) and thought they were really excellent - the tour gets a group visa so you do not have to bother with that.

"Weather" is a risk in those areas. We went on the conventional cruise ship in September and were blessed with excellent weather. Our Star Flyer holiday was the last two weeks of August last year - not as warm as we hoped but last year was the worst summer for 50 years!

We enjoyed both our trips. Trying to look through your eyes, so to speak, the likelihood of the Star Flyer docking well in to St. Petersburg, the fact that you obviously like the Clippers, and the usually good company of your fellow passengers on the Clippers might incline you towards the Star Flyer. That would be my choice.

You may wish to check out availability on the Star Flyer sooner rather than later!

As you can see we are in Essex - are you anywhere near us by chance?

New Jersey, so not so close! Do you happen to remember if the Star Flyer docked at any of the ports on your cruise? Or did you tender?

Deb

I have reviewed the Star Flyer's on board daily programmes, which, as I mentioned earlier, I still have and have been reminded that for our two week holiday (2 x 7 nights) and allowing for three sea days, there were ten ports of call. Of those ports of call six were alongside and 4 were tender based. All four of the tender based ones were in the first week. One of the tender ports of call was scheduled to be Sylt but conditions were not suitable so the Star Flyer diverted to Helgoland (Heligoland) where it anchored in a sheltered area and we were tendered in. The visit to Helgoland (an island offshore from the Hamburg area of Germany) was very interesting and we thought that going there was a "win". Lots of ferries go there from the Hamburg area (for duty free shopping!!) and there was a very interesting museum.

I have reviewed the Star Flyer's on board daily programmes, which, as I mentioned earlier, I still have and have been reminded that for our two week holiday (2 x 7 nights) and allowing for three sea days, there were ten ports of call. Of those ports of call six were alongside and 4 were tender based. All four of the tender based ones were in the first week. One of the tender ports of call was scheduled to be Sylt but conditions were not suitable so the Star Flyer diverted to Helgoland (Heligoland) where it anchored in a sheltered area and we were tendered in. The visit to Helgoland (an island offshore from the Hamburg area of Germany) was very interesting and we thought that going there was a "win". Lots of ferries go there from the Hamburg area (for duty free shopping!!) and there was a very interesting museum.

Excellent info. Thanks so much.

• 3 weeks later...

muskatnuss - If you happen to be still following these Starclipper threads this is just to let you know that we are booked on the Royal Clipper for the Grenadines starting on the 11th January with some time in your home country of Barbados. Just wondering if.................?

Archived