Wave Heights

rkersh409

With this being our first cruise and the storm down in the Caribbean I was wondering about wave heights. How big does the waves need to be to feel it on the Triumph? Also how big before the ship really starts to roll? Right now the Gulf shows 1-2 feet and 4 feet in the Caribbeans.

We were rocking and rolling in the Bahamas last year with 8-10 feet waves. It was the day we were doing the Behind the Fun Scene Tour, and were up on the bridge when we asked. Captain said 8-10, and a lot of people were feeling them. I loved it!

We had 25 plus foot waves, for more than 24 hours on my first cruise. Ecstasy. Big enough waves to hit our porthole windows and keep them awash. Almost enough to tip you out of bed at night .. but it didnt, so no problem for me.

1 to 2 feet waves in our fishing boat (24 ft) is just a little choppy so on a cruise ship you will not feel. I have only really ever felt the waves on one oof our cruises and I'm not sure how big exactly they were but we were on the outskirts of a hurricane.

I was on Victory last week and the sea day from St. Thomas to Barbados we had a steady 34 knot wind and it showed the sea state as moderate 4-8 feet on the cabin tv but I have been on boats in the ocean since I was six years old. I went down to the promenade deck which is the lowest deck where you can still be outside and I was getting hit by the spray they were an easy ten feet and they were definitely moving the boat around. I personally dont get sea sick and actually went down there to check it out.

we had 25 plus foot waves, for more than 24 hours on my first cruise. Ecstasy. Big enough waves to hit our porthole windows and keep them awash. Almost enough to tip you out of bed at night .. But it didnt, so no problem for me.

omg

On the Freedom last year we were 12-15 ft and you could definitely feel it, but I wasn't sick. I took meclazine, beginning the day before we go on the ship, every 4 hours for the duration of my trip.

The waves were coming at us head on, and although you could feel the movement, I didn't realize how much we moved until I was on the front decks watching the Tail move up and down.

On the Triumph felt alot more than last cruise on her especially on the way back from Coz.

I think they were 6-8 ft. This was in Feb. They actually cancelled the last night show.

Also noticed a vibration aft, from the screws, that I dont remember

Learn about the Beaufort Scale:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale

Scroll down the page to see the 12 force levels.

The ship's position relative to the waves will determine whether the ship pitches or rolls more, or a combination of the two.

Stabilizers only can do so much when it comes to roll, and if you are in force 7-8 or better they will likely be maxed out as to what they can do.

It depends on several factors as has been said. The photo below was from Wilma a few years ago. We crawled at 5 kts and you didn't feel anything. We were killing time waiting for the storm to pass in the Bahamas. Sooner or later we would reverse course. That is when the fun started. What ever was on one side of the cabin would end up on the other.

wilma.jpg

. . . How big does the waves need to be to feel it on the Triumph? Also how big before the ship really starts to roll? Right now the Gulf shows 1-2 feet and 4 feet in the Caribbeans.

The ship's position relative to the waves will determine whether the ship pitches or rolls more, or a combination of the two.

Totally agree with that statement.

I've been in higher wave situations on other sailings, but for this one the conditions were really being felt. I took this photo right after the Captain made an announcement that were were experiencing 18-ft conditions, and passengers should be cautious when moving about the ship. There were a few things falling in the cabins, as well as displays in the merchandise shops.

Sea-Conditions-TV-L.jpg

From experience, I know that if I simply get horizontal I will feel minimal effects of the rocking/rolling. I got on the bed and watched a movie and ordered room service, rather than attempting the dining room.

Later he announced that we were having 20-ft waves, but that we should be through it somewhat soon. I woke up the next morning to a port that was definitely different than planned on the itinerary, but I think it was a great decision by the cruise line, and a stop that I enjoyed more than an extra sea day in those conditions. :)

Yep, been there too. We were in unusual hurricane winds in January one year. We were up front. And we too went to the cabin and laid down to keep from feeling bad. Could not port in Nassau, just kept circling around.

Two years ago, we got into a storm in January and we could not port in Roatan. And that is why we picked that cruise because it was going to Roatan. Go figure. It will be awhile before we try to go back, but we want to !!!!! That storm lasted 24 hours, and I was feeling seasick. Could not eat anything. So, went to lay down and ride it out. Next day, new port and sunny weather. YEA !!!!!

I havent witnessed it on cruises, but i been in several storms on 3 differnt navy ships when i crossed Atlanic on a Destroyer where the main deck was only about 8ft above waterline which was under water at times.. Ive been in 25 ft waves and around hurricanes. Luckly i dont get sea sick and ships motion dosnt really affect me much.

With this being our first cruise and the storm down in the Caribbean I was wondering about wave heights. How big does the waves need to be to feel it on the Triumph? Also how big before the ship really starts to roll? Right now the Gulf shows 1-2 feet and 4 feet in the Caribbeans.

For you to feel it on a CCL ship waves need to be at least 10 -12 feet. 1-4 feet is like being on a big pond. You won't even notice it.

On our first cruise on Carnival Fantasy we encountered 30 foot seas. EVERYTHING was closed. All the shops closed, no shows at all, only 1 bar was open after dinner and the elevators were all shut down. Most people didnt bother even going to dinner. There were "sick" bags hung in the corridors.

From what we heard most of the passengers AND crew were quite ill. DBF and I were just fine though. We had the ship all to ourselves and sat at the only open bar...just the two of us...for hours. I think one mistake people make is going back to their cabin to lay down. I had heard that going outside where you can see the horizon and feel the air helps.

We havent encountered anything like that since then but we quite enjoyed the sensation.

On our Legend cruise last year late Nov. early Dec. we had 50 knot winds and were going at a 20 knot clip. It was exciting! The pools and slides were all closed (waves crashing out of the pool), the doors to the outside decks were all locked except for the lido deck. There were those barf bags stuck on the walls all around the ship. Grand Cayman was cancelled due to the port being closed completely. Mistakenly took the elevator down to the clinic, and the door opened to reveal tons of people moaning and holding their heads in their hands.

We are lifelong boat people, so we were very excited to hang out on our balcony most of the time watching and listening to the waves crashing. None of us felt sick at all. You could really tell how many people on the ship were affected, though, when it came to dinner in the MDR. Many seats empty every night. We had a blast!

I took meclazine, beginning the day before we go on the ship, every 4 hours for the duration of my trip.

Dayum - that is a lot of meclizine! Max doseage is supposed to be 50mg (2 tablets) in a 24 hour period!!

We were on the Fascination in May & the waves were only around 4' unless I heard the announcement wrong, the boat was uuuuuuppppp & ddddoooowwwwnnnn. So much that if you stood in one spot your scenery would change as the boat pitched up & down, front to back. It was wild. Super fun to me, I love the motion, but the people walking on the Lido would literally sway & bump into each other. We did roll a bit in bed too, never fell in the floor though :D

Archived