Verizon wireless coverage in Alaska

jmcross

I just called Verizon and they said there is no coverage in Alaska. This makes no sense to me.

She tried to sell me extra services and insisted I would be in roam in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan for both data and phone.

Has anyone used Verizon in Alaska?

Thanks,

Joanne

I just called Verizon and they said there is no coverage in Alaska. This makes no sense to me.

She tried to sell me extra services and insisted I would be in roam in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan for both data and phone.

Has anyone used Verizon in Alaska?

Thanks,

Joanne

We have Verizon. We were able to call home from Juneau, Anchorage, Ketchikan. They did have roaming charges.

They weren't very high, I think DH said $2.10 for 5 minutes total call time.

:)

I talked to a Verizon rep in person & he said the only problem we might have is not finding service. He said there should not be roaming charges.

Funny how it is different depending on who you talk to.

We went to Alaska in2007 and again last year. No roaming charges! We did not use it in Vancouver or on the ship, but did everywhere else. We had good pick up and no charges! Oh, we did not use it in Denali, either. Do not know if there is service there.

We just got back from this trip. I have Verizon on my iPhone. It showed EXTENDED 3G on my phone in the alaskan ports, but I was able to get both cell and data services. I didn't get any warnings that I would get additional charges, unlike in Victoria where we went to roaming mode for both phone and data ($2.50 per meg)

I spent 2 weeks in Alaska this year and have Verizon. No problems in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan with any extra charges (no roaming charges). I had data problems in Whittier, sometimes it worked a tad, other times it didn't. I also had problems getting voice mail in Whittier. Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan were fine.

I have Verizon and have been to Alaska twice -- once in 2009 and again six weeks ago. Both times, I called Verizon to be sure I could call home from Alaska without incurring extra charges. I was assured that I could. When my bills came, there were NO roaming charges and I was happy. I called home (Michigan) from Juneau, Skagway, Sitka and Ketchikan. Of course, I did not call from Victoria, as I would have incurred roaming charges while in Canada.

From a previous Poster on a different thread...

http://alaska.org/wireless/

My son in law is a manager at Verizon and stated that we shoud not get charged roaming on skagway, juneau for ketch. However if we use the phone on the boat we will be charged as it is not considered Alaska (land)

so I will be keeping my phone off while on the boat and turn it on once we hit the stops. He also stated that if you find yoru bill has roaming charges on them when you get back to call immeidately and have them removed.:D

From a previous Poster on a different thread...

http://alaska.org/wireless/

My son in law is a manager at Verizon and stated that we shoud not get charged roaming on skagway, juneau for ketch. However if we use the phone on the boat we will be charged as it is not considered Alaska (land)

so I will be keeping my phone off while on the boat and turn it on once we hit the stops. He also stated that if you find yoru bill has roaming charges on them when you get back to call immeidately and have them removed.:D

I want to avoid roaming charges. These directions state to press #2 to activate roaming. Verizon is also telling me that I will have to roam in order to get service. Isn't roaming going to incur additional charges?

I also was told by a rep at the Verizon store that there is good coverage in Alaska with no roaming charges. She did warn me however, to not make calls until we are at least a block or two away from the ship, or we would be going through the ship's system which would incur much heftier charges.

there shouldn't be any charges as long as you are in US. It says full US coverage. Now if you are on the water or at Vancouver, I am sure they will charge you roaming charge.

I don't know, I just remember last time I was way off coast at Hawaii, I was able to make phone calls full bar signal no roaming charge.

I also was told by a rep at the Verizon store that there is good coverage in Alaska with no roaming charges. She did warn me however, to not make calls until we are at least a block or two away from the ship, or we would be going through the ship's system which would incur much heftier charges.

I read elsewhere on CC that they turn off the "Cellular at Sea" service once they dock.

Never mind. I called Verizon again and you were correct. Pressing *228 just updates network capabilities.

Just a random note - if you have a 4G LTE phone, do not use *228.

I'm a bit confused, will there be extra charges in using the wifi through my phone if I'm on the ship at port?

Ship wi-fi will always have a charge, no matter the location. And for the price and speed, you are better off finding a coffee shop or restaurant that has free wifi.

I emailed Verizon a month or so ago because we're going to Alaska in September. This is the response:

Good afternoon Penny,

My name is XXXXXXXXXX and I have great news! Verizon Wireless’ calling plans covers you for usage in all 50 states, so there is no roaming in Alaska. You will have full access to the plan’s benefits while you are on your trip.

Penny, you will be in an extended network while traveling through Alaska. That means Verizon Wireless does not own or operate the towers you’ll be using. Because of environmental factors you may at times find yourself in areas that have a weak signal or no service connection at all. Anticipate this when traveling through remote areas. If you are in a city like Juneau you should be fine.

I trust that I have answered your questions about your calling plans coverage area. Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless; I hope you have a safe trip!

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXX

Verizon Wireless Customer Service

Internet Response Team

what if i have a verizon portable modem? can i use that in port no charge? so confusing

According to Verizon Wireless, if you have a signal in any part of the US (including Alaska) then you can use it with no charge.

We do not charge for data services anywhere in the United States. This includes Alaska and Hawaii. You should have data roaming turned on because your phone may read the extended network as roaming even though there are no additional charges for it. The only reason you would be billed for roaming charges is if you exit the United States. (Source)

Just returned from Alaska. Took our Verizon iPad to use in Alaska. Unfortunately 3 days of phone calls with no coverage to find out prepaid phones and data (iPad ) did not work in Alaska. Had service in port towns. Capitol in Juneau had free wifi and nice area to sit in back!

what if i have a verizon portable modem? can i use that in port no charge? so confusing

Your verizon mifi or Personal Hotspot will work just as it does in the rest of the US. Just don't connect to the ship's phone or wifi network

Just returned from Alaska. Took our Verizon iPad to use in Alaska. Unfortunately 3 days of phone calls with no coverage to find out prepaid phones and data (iPad ) did not work in Alaska. Had service in port towns. Capitol in Juneau had free wifi and nice area to sit in back!

I had no issue getting data (emails and web) on my iphone via verizon 3G in those ports. Not sure why you had issues with the iPad. However, I was unable to get ANY AT&T service for my ipad in any AK port. I can't imagine there's no AT&T cell service in the capital of Alaska. Maybe it's an iPad thing somehow.

Archived