Cruise Critic Community
Cruise Cat

Invest 94L (Isaac if named) - Could be Trouble

Probably some definite itinerary changes coming...just saw RCL changed Allure of the Seas from eastern to western and the next sytem behind Isaac doesn't look good either.

Jax news is saying if Isaac stays on predicted course its really going to cause alot of Floridians problems.

The one behind it looks less scary today. A lot less.

If Isaac keeps nudging further and further West each update, the people who should be upset would be the Redneck Riviera (AKA the Panhandle) folks.

The good news with Isaac is the high, high mountains of Hispaniola. If this storm hits the island directly, there is a huge chance the mountains will cut it to pieces. Obviously, not a good thing for the Dominican Republic/Haiti, but they pretty much know they are going to get hit with like 50% or more of the storms each year.

The faster the storm is moving (it has been hovering around 17-23mph so far, which is a good clip) and the more direct the hit to the mountain range = less concern for anyone else in the path.

A slow, churning storm that misses the mountains = trouble for all.

ETA:

For the non-tropical folks... moving at 17-23mph has nothing to do with wind speed of the storm. That is the movement of the eye on the surface of the planet.

39-73mph winds = tropical storm

74-95mph winds = hurricane (cat 1)

96-110mph winds = hurricane (cat 2)

111-130mph winds = hurricane (cat 3)

131-155mph winds = hurricane (cat 4)

156+mph winds = hurricane (cat 5)

Edited by poncho1973

I'm really starting to rethink this cruise. We are leaving the 24th from Port Canaveral and will be in Nassau the 25th and Coco Cay the 26th. It looks like Isaac will be dead over us. With RCCL's Monarch being a small ship I'm concerned at how rough it will be. Also wondering if there might be a change in itinerary and if so, to what? Any thoughts are very much appreciated. Thanks

We are on the same ship. Having lived in Florida nearly 50 years, and sailed in some pretty rough seas including the outer bands of a hurricane, I am not really worried enough to rethink the cruise. I am rethinking my packing. I think Nassau should be fine on Saturday, but I doubt we will make Coco Cay. Even during the non-hurricane months, that port is missed a lot. I think if the forecast for Sunday is a lot of rain, the captain will just skip Coco Cay since it gets very messy there with heavy rain. The trip back to Port Canaveral may be bumpier than usual, so I will pack meclizine just in case. The Monarch is a lot smaller than the mega ships, but I think she is pretty stable. I figure with over 20 years afloat, she has probably seen a lot of rough seas.

Of course, a lot depends on the accuracy of the current track for Isaac. Just keep watching it and plan accordingly. Assume you may have a day at sea instead of a port, but I wouldn't cancel the cruise. The captain will head for calmer waters if there is ever a real threat.

I have felt good all season at our choice till this week. We sail out of New Orleans Next Thurs to Mexico. We had a rough ride in April (there was a huge storm in the gulf)out of Tampa to Grand Cayman and people were walking down the hall and into the wall, then into the other wall. Let's just say we were rockin and rolling!! Even the staff stumbled a bit. I was okay but hope its not any worse than that. This will be our third cruise and I hope we have a great one and everyone else also. I have already bought more motion sickness med and pancho's just in case. Watching this storm and the one just behind and a little red blob moving into sea off the coast of Africa

looks like isaac is running right over our trip! we are leaving miami on the Valor,the 26th of august , supposed to go to key west, caymans and jamaica. Anyone else out there going on this trip? This is our second cruise, first one was on a norwegian in december and had terrible weather. This might be an omen for us to never book a cruise again. :(

I'm sorry. Nothing as disappointing as bad weather on vacation. Don't give up on cruising! It's just dumb luck to have had two sailings back to back with bad weather. This is my 9th cruise and the first time I will experience bad weather. We are to board in Ft. Lauderdale on 8/31 which looks like the exact morning it may hit south Florida. :eek:

Waiting impatiently to see how this unfolds.

Sailing on the Freedom August 26 Eastern... watching this thread closely for the next couple days.

If there are itinerary changes, how will RCL update passengers?

I'm sorry. Nothing as disappointing as bad weather on vacation. Don't give up on cruising! It's just dumb luck to have had two sailings back to back with bad weather. This is my 9th cruise and the first time I will experience bad weather. We are to board in Ft. Lauderdale on 8/31 which looks like the exact morning it may hit south Florida. :eek:

Waiting impatiently to see how this unfolds.

I thought Isaac was aiming to hit south Florida this Sunday/Monday (Aug 26 or 27) not a week from this Friday (Aug 31)???

I thought Isaac was aiming to hit south Florida this Sunday/Monday (Aug 26 or 27) not a week from this Friday (Aug 31)???

Yes, you're so right. 8/31 is when we disembark. We are scheduled to embark on 8/27. :o

Going out of San Juan this Sunday for a 7 day Southern, not worried about Isaac but the system following it could be a bit of trouble. Still vacation no matter where we might end up going.

Going out of San Juan this Sunday for a 7 day Southern, not worried about Isaac but the system following it could be a bit of trouble. Still vacation no matter where we might end up going.

Don't be. Look at the models.

023440W5_NL_sm.gif

Yes, you're so right. 8/31 is when we disembark. We are scheduled to embark on 8/27. :o

Oh...that makes more sense!! I wish you luck...that seems like it might be a little 'iffy'! We are leaving on the 26th from Tampa for Cozumel,Belize,Roatan, & Grand Cayman. So far, the models look like we can just squeak out of port and get underway before it hits Tampa or the Gulf...Keeping our fingers crossed! Don't really care where we end up going...just as long as we are Cruising!

Good Luck to Everyone!!!!!!!

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx#q-1235022

top.gif TopTropical Storm Isaac - Itinerary Updates

TROPICAL STORM ISAAC UPDATE – 8:00 PM (EDT)

We are closely monitoring the forecasted path of Tropical Storm Isaac in the Caribbean. At the moment, there are no changes expected for any sailings departing on or after Friday, August 24, 2012. In the event we need to make a deviation to a future itinerary, we will update our guests.

If you have not done so already, we strongly suggest guests complete their online check-in as soon as possible. Please ensure to provide your email, as well as sign up for text alerts for updates on any changes to your cruise.

CARNIVAL VALOR - 8/19/12 departure

In order to stay ahead of the storm and for the safety and comfort of our guests, the Carnival Valor cancelled the call into Curaçao and replaced it with a visit to Nassau on Saturday from 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM.

CARNIVAL LIBERTY - 8/18/12 departure

Due to high winds and heavy swells, the Carnival Liberty cancelled the call into Grand Turk today and will replace it with a visit to Nassau on Friday from 10:00 AM to 6:00PM.

All other ships are operating on their scheduled itineraries.

As always, the safety of our guests is our number one concern and our ships are maintaining a safe distance from the storm at all times.

Another web update will be posted August 24, at noon (EDT).

I'm getting a tad worry about the possible cyclone near Africa. Does anyone know where I can find some info on where it will go?

Lastest update from the Weather Channel and RCL's website - Miami Airport is closing tonight and the Port of Miami is closing at 11 PM tonight, Friday August 25th until Monday morning.

Good luck everyone living, traveling and visiting Florida right now.

Hi all,

We're having some technical difficulties on the back end here at Cruise Critic that are prohibiting us from updating our news coverage at this time. However, our most recent report can be found here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4955.

It's our understanding that all itinerary changes mentioned are still in effect. One update: According to a statement on RCI's Web site, Monarch of the Seas will begin boarding passengers for its next sailing at 1 p.m. tomorrow (Monday, Aug. 27). The itinerary will include a sea day on Wednesday and a call on CocoCay on Thursday.

Isaac is now approximately 80 miles southeast of Key West and about 110 miles east-northeast of Havana, Cuba. Maximum sustained winds have reached 65 miles per hour, but the storm is expected to decrease in forward speed. It's on track to reach the Florida Keys sometime today (Sunday, Aug. 26), at which time it will likely be at or near hurricane strength. It is then predicted to be headed for the eastern coast of the Gulf of Mexico by Monday. You can find more information, as well as a list of watches and warnings, here: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT4+shtml/261457.shtml.

Save travels!

Hard to believe that only two weeks ago, this was just a minor storm....

Carnival Magic on August 26 to the Western Carib. wasn't affected by this except for some minor rough seas last Monday. Hope every other ship in the Gulf was okay!

Allure of the Seas was supposed to sail from Port Everglades on August 26, but Port Everglades closed late on August 25, meaning that Allure couldn't get into port. She (and her passengers) stayed out at sea two extra days, and the people on my cruise, we had a 5-day cruise instead of a 7-day cruise. And instead of calling on Labadee, Falmouth and Cozumel, we called on Cozumel and Nassau.