CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

We are staying in downtown Newark the 29th to the 31st of October. We hope to do the tourist thing, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, etc. on the 30th and 31st. Does anyone know what effect, if any, the marathon on November 1st have on those two days?

What hotel are you staying at in downtown Newark?

I just stayed pre cruise at the Robert Treat last Thursday. I really liked the hotel and thought it was a terrific value. I had a spacious room with a super comfortable queen bed overlooking the park with all the expected amenities including a safe. The free breakfast room was spacious with a reasonable choice of food. They also offer free parking if you are a guest. There is no paid parking, so other random folks are not going in and out of their parking.

I came in on Amtrak and was able to be picked up in front of the station within 15 minutes. In the morning the shuttle runs every half hour.

Downtown Newark is a highly urban area. I felt safe in the hotel and in Penn Station in the early evening, but I would advise that you make use of the shuttle ( or perhaps spring for a cab later at night) and not walk between the hotel and the station.

I took PATH and the light rail to Bayonne. As a senior with a Smartlink card, it cost me $2.05. One of my friends was on her way in a car service and they picked me up at the light rail station on the way into the port. I gave the driver $8. Otherwise I would have called one if the taxi companies and paid about $10.

Edited by 138east

Would Morristown also be a good place to stay for 2 nights prior to our cruise in May? We are driving from Toronto, were thinking of staying in Parsippany. But looking at the Hyatt House Morristown. Just as convenient?

Or possibly the Hilton Parsippany.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by CMDE

Would Morristown also be a good place to stay for 2 nights prior to our cruise in May? We are driving from Toronto, were thinking of staying in Parsippany. But looking at the Hyatt House Morristown. Just as convenient?

Or possibly the Hilton Parsippany.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Morristown is not convenient if you want to sightsee in Manhattan for a day. Train time is at least an hour into the city plus you have to get to the train station where there might not be available parking, particularly on a weekday. The area is fine.