Hurricanes 101.

Postman806

Can someone share a little knowledge please? We cruise September 9th out of Miami. I'm wondering if TD Joyce might impact our cruise or is she too early? Will it be the next storm I need to watch? Just need a little education on these things and what to look for. Thanks in advance.

Joyce is not be a problem to U.S.

I heard, however, that Issac has delayed Allure from disembarking/embarking in Port Everglades from Sunday to Tuesday.

Hope all remain safe...... in the end, that is all that really matters.

Please try not to worry about any storms or hurricanes. It's the chance we take when we cruise during hurricane season, but the Captain will never put his ship, crew, or passengers in jeopardy, never. Don't worry. At most, you will be re-routed or actually just sail around until it is safe to port. You can't do anything about it so worrying will not help. Yes, I have cruised "through" (around, near, avoiding, etc.) two hurricanes and it was just fine.

Enjoy your cruise and this time leading up to it. :)

No one can predict what will happen for your September 9 cruise -- right now everything looks free.

A couple of years ago everything looked great when we left Tampa near the end of October for a Western Caribbean cruise. Our first port was Key West and by the time we were suppose to leave there and head west -- Hurricane Paula changed our cruise to an Eastern Caribbean cruise. Not a problem for us.

Things can happen quickly.

I'm not worried about being in danger while on my cruise. The two things I want to be aware of ahead of time is 1) do we need to fly into Miami earlier to avoid missing our cruise altogether and 2) what are the chances of having rough water as I am prone to sea-sickness. I know I can't do anything about a hurricane but I find it interesting to watch the hurricane predictions and I want to gain some knowledge of them. Also I want to be aware of adjustments we might have to make in preparation. So for me it's more of a curiosity and preparedness issue. Thanks for all input.

If you are flying into Miami the day ahead you should be just fine.

Even though they close the port of Miami last night, the airport remains open now.

As far as the rough seas, like OP how rough they are is based on lots of factors. A storm may be nearby and you can still have calm seas.

Looks like Joyce won't be a problem. Ships usually can go around a hurricane, changing port-of-call if needed. Of course if a storm hits the departure port, that could cancel your cruise. For example, the Carnival Elation is scheduled to depart New Orleans on Thursday (Aug. 30), but I'm guessing it will be delayed or canceled because of Hurricane Isaac.

Archived