Fascination Man Overboard 8-27-12? (MERGED THREADS)

ThinkingWoman

You are correct.

Sorry, I can only check back here periodically while sitting idle between work projects. I still don't want to say too much about the other allegations until I know it's ok.

One thing I will say, this is one of the craziest stories I have heard ref passenger behavior gone bad. Believe me, I want to tell you all everything, but in my profession, I'm careful not to be premature with information.

Hey Paul, Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to keep us informed.

On my Solstice cruise as we approached San Juan (1st full day of cruise) as I showered my dh came running in saying that all hell was breaking out in the cabin next to us. I could then hear someone screaming, yelling and throwing what sounded like furniture. I called down for security thinking someone was having a domestic. While I waited for security to get there - a young man (early 20's) goes out of that cabin to the balcony and then is screaming that he is going to kill himself by jumping over. The ship was still moving - I run to call security again and told them that the guy was taking about jumping overboard. Do you think that anyone "rushed" to get to the cabin. Took about 15 minutes and then they NEVER did anything. Oh except offer to move us to a different cabin. Huh? I was scared to death of the nut job next door and was hoping they'd take him elsewhere. The explaination - he had been confined to his cabin due to illness and was going cabin crazy. What if he had jumped? I'd of had to say that they did nothing to try to prevent it.

On my Solstice cruise as we approached San Juan (1st full day of cruise) as I showered my dh came running in saying that all hell was breaking out in the cabin next to us. I could then hear someone screaming, yelling and throwing what sounded like furniture. I called down for security thinking someone was having a domestic. While I waited for security to get there - a young man (early 20's) goes out of that cabin to the balcony and then is screaming that he is going to kill himself by jumping over. The ship was still moving - I run to call security again and told them that the guy was taking about jumping overboard. Do you think that anyone "rushed" to get to the cabin. Took about 15 minutes and then they NEVER did anything. Oh except offer to move us to a different cabin. Huh? I was scared to death of the nut job next door and was hoping they'd take him elsewhere. The explaination - he had been confined to his cabin due to illness and was going cabin crazy. What if he had jumped? I'd of had to say that they did nothing to try to prevent it.

Don't be so quick to judge. In my last profession, I had the occasion to transport the same suicidal person several times for psych evals. Every time, he was released within an hour and never admitted. It took him some where in the area of 10 years before he did the deed. I had to handle that too. Some times even the experts don't know when to take these people seriously.

Am I the only one here who finds all these jokes in REALLY bad taste?

Hound, hope you can fill us in.

No you don't. I was sicken by the jokes too thinking that a person was so depressed that he/she couldn't think straight and thought the only means out was to end their life. And the consequences that the family would be left with to pick up the pieces.

Am I the only one here who finds all these jokes in REALLY bad taste?

Hound, hope you can fill us in.

I am rather saddened by them as well. Not sure why some feel that it is appropriate to make wise cracks about something like this.

Some bad news folks......"Nobody gets out of here alive".....no matter that all you may ignore we all will someday meet the same fate.......but hopefully not as inane as jumping off a ship with a life ring around your waist:D......oh....er......:(:(

(I hope that helps)................................................te he, sincker sincker......:D

Some bad news folks......"Nobody gets out of here alive".....no matter that all you may ignore we all will someday meet the same fate.......but hopefully not as inane as jumping off a ship with a life ring around your waist:D......oh....er......:(:(

(I hope that helps)................................................te he, sincker sincker......:D

That's pretty sick.

No you don't. I was sicken by the jokes too thinking that a person was so depressed that he/she couldn't think straight and thought the only means out was to end their life. And the consequences that the family would be left with to pick up the pieces.

I agree with you...how people can joke about a situation is beyond me.

Some of you people are absolutely heartless in your posts. There is nothing even remotely funny about this. I'm sickened by your comments.

Sorry if anyone is offended, but this is (by some reports) not a case of a depressed man taking his life. This is a case of someone being stupid and trying to evade security. People committing suicide do not grab life-rings before jumping overboard.

I avoided commenting on this thread while it was thought to be a suicide, which is a horrible thing. But I cannot, nor will I, ever excuse people for their gross acts of stupidity. :rolleyes:

You are correct.

Sorry, I can only check back here periodically while sitting idle between work projects. I still don't want to say too much about the other allegations until I know it's ok.

One thing I will say, this is one of the craziest stories I have heard ref passenger behavior gone bad. Believe me, I want to tell you all everything, but in my profession, I'm careful not to be premature with information.

First off Thank you for what you do, I am not sure you all hear enough appreciation for what it is you do.

Second - Thank you for taking the time to set this situation straight it is much needed.

Thanks..

I am shocked that anyone would think this is a time to make a joke. There is a family out there right now that is devasted. Put yourself in their shoes before you start trying to make a joke out of a tragedy.

All I know is if it was my family and I did something like THAT they would sure call me out as STUPID!!!!! PERIOD.

No one is debating whether it was a stupid thing or not. I certainly hope none of you making poor taste jokes EVER lose someone close to you who does something stupid. I fortunately have not. But it doesn't mean I can't have compassion for at least the family of this man. And I am CERTAIN the security person who saw it happen is most likely traumatized and not making jokes. Nor would the captain, crew or passengers. I'm all for humor - clever, smart aleck, bawdy, sophomoric, all kinds. But to make stupid jokes on the DAY someone has died while people are being impacted by it is abhorrent. There are some posters on this site who seem to ONLY make snarky comments and never actually CONTRIBUTE.

All I know is if it was my family and I did something like THAT they would sure call me out as STUPID!!!!! PERIOD.

Would that be before or after they stopped grieving? At what time would they start making jokes about it?

How do you know he was stupid? He could just be mentally unbalanced, but I guess you are one of those CC posters that can read between the lines and knows all the answers.

Archived