Hawaii cruises, request information

Matsonbrat

:confused:

Long time not here due to so many other interests and requirements of time. I give you all a big "Mahalo!' from Matsonbrat, who was raised up in Matson as father was with them 30 years. Mostly as Chief Steward on the old Matsonia and ended up Director of Passenger Service. We lived in Honolulu 1937-1939, (Pacific Heights, Kaimaki, and Waikiki) as he had same time off in L.A., S.F., and Honolulu on the ship that only did HNL-SFO-LAX triangle trips. Paying only 1/4 fare for our passages and free transport of autos helped. In the Depression years his salary was about $350 a month, circa 1940, and he doubled it in tips and his cut from the bars and slot machines. A pleasant childhood for all three kids was had.

We are 80 ,or almost, and decided one more cruise at least, thinking Calif to Honolulu and to heck with walking slowly and not able to do many activities. There is always good drinking and interesting passengers to smooze with.

Looking for tips on this cruise from recent, or highly knowledgeable, former passengers. You may come back here or direct to me at;

excommo2@gmail.com.

Thanking you in advance,

Charles L. Christian, Jr.

U.S. State Dept. ret,

:confused:

Long time not here due to so many other interests and requirements of time. I give you all a big "Mahalo!' from Matsonbrat, who was raised up in Matson as father was with them 30 years. Mostly as Chief Steward on the old Matsonia and ended up Director of Passenger Service. We lived in Honolulu 1937-1939, (Pacific Heights, Kaimuki, and Waikiki) as he had same time off in L.A., S.F., and Honolulu on the ship that only did HNL-SFO-LAX triangle trips. Paying only 1/4 fare for our passages and free transport of autos helped. In the Depression years his salary was about $350 a month, circa 1940, and he doubled it in tips and his cut from the bars and slot machines. A pleasant childhood for all three kids was had.

We are 80 ,or almost, and decided one more cruise at least, thinking Calif to Honolulu and to heck with walking slowly and not able to do many activities. There is always good drinking and interesting passengers to smooze with.

Looking for tips on this cruise from recent, or highly knowledgeable, former passengers. You may come back here or direct to me at;

excommo2@gmail.com.

Thanking you in advance,

Charles L. Christian, Jr.

U.S. State Dept. ret,

Welcome to the boards. I am not quite as seasoned as the both of you, but have very fond memories of the Matson Lines as passenger ships. I remember a cruise through the Molokai'i Channel at a young age (really, really, really rough) and coins being thrown overboard for the divers at Aloha Towers. So wish for those "Boat Days" to return as one way passage to the islands.

I am now retired and high on my post-retirement list was taking a trip to Hawaii from California. After a lot of research, I was lucky to find that the Golden travels from LA to Hawaii (round trip). I spent 2 nights on the Golden when she re-positioned from San Francisco to Vancouver. I was not overly impressed because I had just gotten off the Coral through the Canal and she is my favorite Princess ship.

I chose the Golden only because ELUA will be on this cruise. I have heard so many good things about them. I am a "displaced local girl" and can never get enough of Hawaiian events (Hawaiian entertainment, ukulele lessons, hula lessons, and lei making activities). I return to the islands frequently because it is still "home" and my daughters live there. Cruising just seemed like a fun way to get from point A to point B with a whale watch in between.

I will be on the February 13, 2013 sailing and welcome you to join me on this cruise.

Aloha, Renee

Because you live in Santa Rosa

leaving out of SF would be easier for you.

You can take the shuttle to the port.

The Princess Star has a few more sailings

this year to Hawaii. Next Year in March I think

the Grand Princess will be sailing from SF

year around and some will be to the Hawaii.

Charles sounds like you had a fun childhood.

Can remember seeing the Maston ships in SF going

to Hawaii and thinking I want to go and never could afford it.

Now I have many cruises from LA to Hawaii and

now going from SF. Love Cruising and Hawaii.

Hi there~~~Agreed with the above posters. We took our 3rd RT Hawaii last April. Two were RT San Diego with HAL and the last was RT Long Beach with PCL.

I think Dave (Elua) said they will be on the Star 2013-2014.

We were on PCL's Sapphire last April. Next time, I will be looking for the ship Elua is working, just because I have heard wonderful things about them. :)

I'm only 66, but I have health/walking challenges. I did find ships tours that I was comfortably able to do. Luckily, we have been to Pearl Harbor on past cruises, as that would be a long day for me.

I have loved all 3 Hawaii cruises, but travel to the ship is hard on me. I would choose whichever line sails nearest to my home.

Pat

Hi there~~~Agreed with the above posters. We took our 3rd RT Hawaii last April. Two were RT San Diego with HAL and the last was RT Long Beach with PCL.

I think Dave (Elua) said they will be on the Star 2013-2014.

We were on PCL's Sapphire last April. Next time, I will be looking for the ship Elua is working, just because I have heard wonderful things about them. :)

I'm only 66, but I have health/walking challenges. I did find ships tours that I was comfortably able to do. Luckily, we have been to Pearl Harbor on past cruises, as that would be a long day for me.

I have loved all 3 Hawaii cruises, but travel to the ship is hard on me. I would choose whichever line sails nearest to my home.

Pat

Aloha Kakou,

Yes you are correct, if we are extended an offer for next season, it will be on the Star Princess, as that will be the ship that goes to Hawaiʻi full time.

Malama Pono,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

http://www.eluaworld.blogspot.com

Yes we also recommend the Golden, or even the Star for 2013, with Eula and David Cole. There will be many activities scheduled that you will be able to participate in. I sailed on the Matsonia from San Fransisco in 1959 with my Mother to Hawaii. We had a tiny cabin with a porthole and two bunks, one above the other. The army paid our passage. We lived on the beach at Diamond Head a few months, and then moved to Schofield Barracks for a year. I still remember how much fun I had on the ship and in Hawaii. Those were the days where you could be out and around for the whole day with no worries about safety. We also watched the Lurline coming to port from the beach-she was quite the sight in those days.

Archived