San Francisco Hotel Ideas Needed

MilliesMom

We just switched our Alaska cruise from Seattle departure to San Francisco. We won't be renting a car, mostly walking. Cruise is in May 2013. Would like to be close to the wharf/pier 39. Any suggestions?

We are booked at the Tuscan Inn. It is a Best Western Property and has great reviews on Trip Advisor. If you go to their website, the best prices are in their getaway package. Also, if you have a discover card, you can turn in your points for gift cards.

Judy

We also stayed at the Tuscan, and it is great !!

They have their own restaurant right next to the hotel lobby. They have doormen, valets to carry your luggage to and from the room. We used a taxi to the pier--can't remember exactly the price, but it wasn't much.

In our experience, boarding in SF is a zoo. Our driver navigated the 'zoo' and got us right next to the boarding ramp. Personally, I wouldn't walk to the ship.

Pat

Thank you Pat. I appreciate the information. Definitely don't want to walk to the pier. Wonder if it is easier to board if we wait until one or so rather than getting to the pier at 11:30 am like we normally do for our cruises.

The Tuscan Inn has some great reviews.

We hope to fly in a day before the cruise and then stay 2 nights after. I found an amazing hotel at the Ghirardelli - Cannery location. However two nights were $1500 with taxes. It is called Fairmont Heritage Place. Oh my gosh, the one bedroom suite was 1100 sq feet and the reviews stated it was liking away your own apartment with restaurants etc 1 floor down from it. If we win Powerball really big, that's the hotel I want to stay at.

We stayed at the Argonaut and loved it. The room was great and quiet. The staff were very helpful and the location wonderful. We would definitely stay there again in heartbeat.

And I agree that the embarkation and disembarkation at San Francisco can be a zoo!

Our friends stayed there too and loved it. I checked yesterday and it was going for about $600 a night for May 2013. Definitely have to pass on that.

I've been researching hotels today for San Francisco Fisherman Wharf/Pier 39 area.

Here's some helpful info (I hope) ...

1 Radisson: Actually right at Pier 39. Altho the hotel site says it does not have any restaurant on site, there are actually three restaurants. IHOP, Johnny Rockets, and Subway. I called the hotel to confirm. They said that these companies rent space from them and since they are NOT run by the hotel cannot be shown on their website. We had overlooked this hotel because of there being no restaurant. They do offer AAA rates for the days after the cruise but not the days before. Free Wifi offered. You can secure a room with a credit card ... no deposit needed and can cancel up to 2 days before with no penalty.

Trip Advisor Reviews

Hotel Website

2. Best Western Plus Tucson Inn (a Kimpton Hotel). They do offer AAA rates for both before and after the cruise. Italian restaurant on site. Free Wifi offered. Have been regular rooms and suites. You can secure a room with a credit card ... no deposit needed and can be cancelled up to the day before with no penalty.

Trip Advisor Reviews

Hotel Website

3. Hilton Fisherman's Wharf. They do offer AAA rates both before and after the cruise. Free Wifi in the lobby and lounge areas. Charge for Wifi in the rooms ($10 charge). They have standard rooms, junior suites, and king suites. You can secure a room with a credit card ... no deposit needed and can be cancelled up to two days before with no penalty.

Trip Advisor Reviews

Hotel Website

My criteria for a hotel was that it had to be in/close by the wharf/pier 39 area; had to have a restaurant on site; Wifi access even if for a fee; and walking distance to the wharf and pier 39 (we don't want to rent a car).

We stayed at the Tuscan for three nights pre-cruise a few years ago and were pleasantly surprised by the hotel room, amenities and service. Great location. It was Fleet Week and the hotel was filled, yet we were able to snag a two room corner suite for the same price as a standard room. Yes, it had a large sofa in front of the TV. In the morning, coffee and tea, along with juice & mini biscotti were set up in the lobby. In the early evening, wine was served to guests - I recognized the wine label from that which I buy at home - Trader Joe's. FYI, TJ's is around the corner from the hotel if you need to pick up anything.

Post-cruise we stayed at the Mark Hopkins - great views from the Top of the Mark. If you have time, go there in the evening for a drink.

Darcy

Darcy, Thank you for the information. That's great.

Darcy & any others who have stayed at the Tuscan: How many blocks away is the wharf and Pier 39 from the Tuscan and do you remember if there were any hills?

Hubby is concerned about the restaurant at the Tuscan and the limited food choices. Do you remember if there are other restaurants on the block?

Hubby is concerned about the restaurant at the Tuscan and the limited food choices. Do you remember if there are other restaurants on the block?

I found a fact sheet on the Tuscan Inn and it lists all the nearby restaurants and what meals are served etc.

https://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/CA/San-Francisco-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-PLUS-Tuscan-Inn-at-Fisherman-s-Wharf/Printed-Hotel-Fact-Sheet.do?propertyCode=05554

Mary, we walked a few blocks to Fisherman's Wharf. Lots of restaurants, wide price point and varied food selection. It's a huge tourist attraction. I think it was Neptunes - at the far end of the Wharf - great views of the Bay - where we dined the first night. After dinner, we watched the sea lions [we could hear them from the hotel], and wandered through the shops.

The land around the waterfront is level. When we exited the hotel, we took a side street that put us closer to the Wharf - about 5, no more than 10 minutes onto the Wharf itself. The entire area on which the Tuscan and many of the hotels sit, is considered Fisherman's Wharf.

Darcy

Darcy ... thank you. Last time I was at the wharf I was 18, so a number of years ago ... LOL. My aunt and uncle lived in Oakland and we drove over a couple of times while I was visiting. I just have no concept of what to expect since it was so long ago. I am full of questions as a result.

I did find the fact sheet for the hotel and that helped a lot. Was pleased to see these are all close by:

Trader Joe's (mentioned earlier)

Safeway

Cost Plus World Market

Walgreens

Borders

Star Bucks

My comfort zone is getting bigger with all of this information. These will be great to have right around the corner/down the street.

Found the following info on Fisherman's Wharf Hotels HERE:

http://www.fishermanswharf.org/visit.aspx?q=10039&c=1

Argonaut Hotel

Address: 495 Jefferson Street San Francisco, CA 94109

Phone: (415) 563-0800

Email: talktous@argonauthotel.com

Throughout history, travelers and thrill seekers have set sail for California in a quest for the vibrant, bustling port of San Francisco . The deluxe, 4-Diamond Argonaut Hotel, perched on the edge of the Bay, creates a unique, luxurious and lively experience in the style of the San Francisco waterfront of the early 1900’s. The SF Maritime National Historical Park’s 10,000 square foot Visitors Center and Interactive Museum is located on the Lobby Level as well as the award-winning Blue Mermaid Chowder House and Bar.

Best Western Plus Tuscan Inn on Fisherman's Wharf

Address: 425 North Point Street San Francisco, CA 94133

Phone: (800) 648-4626

Email: sales@tuscaninn.com

A unique full-service European style hotel in the heart of Fisherman’s Wharf, featuring complimentary coffee/tea/biscotti every morning and manager’s wine reception every evening.

Courtyard Marriott Fisherman's Wharf

Address: 580 Beach Street San Francisco, CA 94133

Phone: (415) 775-3800

This San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf hotel features our new lobby with inviting, flexible spaces to work or relax in, free Wi-Fi throughout, and easy access to the latest news, weather, and airport conditions via our GoBoard. The highlight of our new lobby experience is The Bistro - Eat. Drink. Connect., which provides guests with healthy food and beverage offerings in the morning and The Market for 24/7 food and beverage options. This hotel near downtown San Francisco is also conveniently located two miles from Moscone Convention Center. We offer a well-equipped fitness center, 24-hour business center, and boarding pass printing service. BART, San Francisco Cable Cars, and the F-Line Market Street Railway access is nearby. Your stay at Courtyard Fisherman's Wharf is sure to be more comfortable, more productive, and more enjoyable than ever before.

Hilton Fisherman's Wharf

Address: 2620 Jones Street San Francisco, CA 94133

Phone: (415) 885-4700

E-mail: Diana_ng@hilton.com

Hilton San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf is conveniently located within walking distance to famous San Francisco attractions such as; PIER 39, the Wharf Sea Lions, Alcatraz Cruises, the Cable Car Turn-Around, and Ghirardelli Square. The hotel is a short walk to nearby Chinatown, North Beach, renowned restaurants and just a short distance from San Francisco’s business, shopping and theatre districts. Our guests enjoy great access to San Francisco’s famous Cable Cars and streetcars. These historic systems allow for inexpensive, convenient and fun transportation options to other parts of the city. The hotel offers meeting and banquet facilities for groups up to 80 people.

Holiday Inn Express

Address: 550 North Point St., San Francisco, CA 94133

Phone: 415-409-4600

Website: http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/san-francisco/sfonp/hoteldetail

Holiday Inn at Fishermans Wharf

Address: 1300 Columbus Avenue San Francisco, CA 94133

Phone: 415-771-9000 Toll-free: 800-942-7348

An exciting choice among San Francisco hotels near Fisherman’s Wharf. Perfectly blending nostalgic charm and modern excitement, Holiday Inn San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf is an ideal option. Our full-service hotel provides comfort and service as classic as the City by the Bay. Stay at our deluxe hotel near the city's most celebrated shops, attractions, and restaurants. Delight in unforgettable San Francisco vacations as you savor the delicious aromas of saltwater and sweet taffy filling the air. Experience Holiday Inn's renowned service in one of the world's most popular settings.

Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf

Address: 555 North Point Street San Francisco, CA 94133

Phone: (415) 563-1234

E-mail: sales@sfofwpo.hyatt.com

Located steps from the Powell and Mason Cable Car line in the heart of the spectacular waterfront, 313 Guest Rooms and Suites, Knuckles at the Wharf (sports-friendly bar and grill), Enoteca Musto (wine lounge), 19,000 square feet of meeting space, heated outdoor Swimming Pool/Jacuzzi, Fitness Center, Business Center and Concierge Services.

Radisson Hotel Fisherman's Wharf

Address: 250 Beach Street San Francisco, CA 94133

Phone: (415) 392-6700

E-mail: rhi_sffw@radisson.com

The Radisson is surrounded by San Francisco's most popular waterfront attractions and faces the San Francisco Bay. Conveniently located for visiting Pier 39, the world famous Cable Cars, and Ghirardelli Square. Some guest rooms feature balconies overlooking a garden courtyard and an outdoor pool. The best unobstructed panoramic view of the San Francisco Bay and Alcatraz Island can be seen from our Bayview rooms. The hotel features a heated outdoor pool year-round, a newly renovated 24-hour workout facility, a business center, on-site parking, concierge services, same-day valet laundry services and complimentary wireless Internet access.

Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf

Address: 2500 Mason Street San Francisco, CA 94133

Phone: (415) 362-5500 Toll Free: (800) 325-3535

Sheraton Fisherman’s Wharf has introduced a fresh new look to San Francisco ’s most popular neighborhood with a light-hearted sophistication and colorful décor. Get connected with free Wi-Fi in our unique lobby lounge and outdoor living room with fire pits, while indulging in sushi and your favorite martini at Spressi. Relax with a swim in the outdoor pool, re-energize at our new Sheraton Fitness®, and stay fresh in a modern and bright guest room complete with a Sheraton Sweet Sleeper(SM) Bed. At Sheraton Fisherman’s Wharf you’ll receive a welcome unlike any other. Because you don’t just stay here … you belong.

The Wharf Inn

Address: 2601 Mason Street San Francisco, CA 94133

Phone: (415) 673-7411 Toll Free: (877) 275-7889

The Wharf Inn is located in the heart of Fisherman's Wharf. Walk to world-famous restaurants, sample the "catch of the day," browse through dozens of colorful shops at historic Ghiradelli Square and The Cannery. Just steps to the world famous cable cars. Within a short distance of the financial district. Amenities include Free Parking 51 Spacious guest rooms, Completely Non-Smoking Hotel, Complimentary Coffee and Newspapers, Free High Speed Internet and more!

just a note...all borders stores are gone.

I would recommend scoma's on the wharf for eating...or casual..Bodin's. sourdough bread and good salads/chowder.

Thanks .... didn't know about Borders.

Saw a video about Bodin's ... looks like a great place to try. I think it will be great that we will have so many options in choice of food and price when we choose where to eat there.

We just switched our Alaska cruise from Seattle departure to San Francisco. We won't be renting a car, mostly walking. Cruise is in May 2013. Would like to be close to the wharf/pier 39. Any suggestions?

hello. do not know how many times you have been to San Francisco and pardon my presumptions. I do not understand why would anyone stay at the wharf or near pier 39 ... unless you were a tourist and wanted to just hang with other tourists. in which case, I apologize and only mean to be helpful.

the cruise terminal, pier 35, is easily accessible by cab. you can expand your hotel search and still walk, sightsee, and most importantly... dine, in other parts of the city.

we have stayed at the Mark Hopkins, Stanford Court, Campton Place, Hyatt Regency and Embarcadero... and what we recommend the most to out-of-town visitors is the Orchard Hotel. the location is is ideal and amenities are all close at hand.

as for Scoma's ... all the tourists go there. San Francisco is about FOOD! and I think tourists are short changing themselves by settling for what sounds safe.

look at SFGate.com, which is our daily newspaper, online. look under "food" and the annual "top 100 restaurants" and there is something for every palate and pocketbook. you can spend plenty for seafood at Farallon, or nab a seat at the bar and enjoy plates for $6. have oysters and Kobe sliders and a cocktail and walk back to your hotel. or, you can take the $5/pp cable car to a hotel at the wharf.

there is the Orchard Hotel and Orchard Garden and both have great reviews on tripadvisor. you will be centrally located in San Francisco with easy access to Fisherman's Wharf. stay at the wharf and that is where you will be.

hello. do not know how many times you have been to San Francisco and pardon my presumptions. I do not understand why would anyone stay at the wharf or near pier 39 ... unless you were a tourist and wanted to just hang with other tourists. in which case, I apologize and only mean to be helpful. .

No offense taken. I'm 60, hubby is 63. I haven't been to SF since I was 18 and he hasn't been since his 20s. Never been as a couple together.

What I remember of the wharf is the excitement and that there was so much to do and see. My aunt and uncle lived in Oakland, so we drove in a couple of times for the day while I was visiting from out of state.

For me, it is kind of like "if" we go to Hawaii ... I want to go to Oahu and stay on Waikiki. Many of our friends would disagree, but we like to people watch and be in the excitement of the area.

When we fly in somewhere we try to be located so that we are within walking distance of everything but the ship.

I will definitely pass your other suggestions tho to the people on our roll call. You have great suggestions. In fact, I will check some of them out too but feel we will stay with the wharf area.

http://www.theorchardhotel.com/

The Orchard

Near Union Square

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d217844-Reviews-The_Orchard_Hotel-San_Francisco_California.html

Trip Advisor Reviews

Attractions close by:

San Francisco Attractions

• Cable Car - 0.1 mile
  • Union Square - 0.1 mile
  • Museum of Modern Art - 0.5 mile
  • Moscone Center - 0.6 mile
  • Chinatown - .7 mile
  • Transamerica Building - 0.7 mile
  • Asian Art Museum - 0.9 mile
  • Coit Tower - 0.9 mile
  • Fisherman’s Wharf - 1.2 miles
  • Ghirardelli Square - 1.3 miles
  • AT&T Baseball Park/SF Giants - 1.3 miles
  • Ferry Building - 1.3 miles
  • Union Street - 1.6 miles
  • Pier 39 - 1.8 mile
  • Lombard St. - 1.9 miles
  • Alcatraz Island - 2.2 miles
  • Palace of Fine Arts - 2.3 miles
  • Golden Gate Bridge - 3 miles
  • Twin Peaks - 3.3 miles
  • Golden Gate Park - 5.3 mile

http://www.theorchardgardenhotel.com/

The Orchard Garden

By Union Square

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d618542-Reviews-Orchard_Garden_Hotel-San_Francisco_California.html

Trip Advisor Reviews

Attractions:

• Cable Car Line - 0.1 miles
  • Union Square - 0.1 miles
  • Museum of Modern Art - 0.5 miles
  • Moscone Convention Center - 0.6 miles
  • Chinatown - 0.7 miles
  • Transamerica Building - 0.7 miles
  • Asian Art Museum - 0.9 miles
  • Coit Tower - 0.9 miles
  • Fisherman’s Wharf - 1.2 miles
  • Ferry Building - 1.3 miles
  • AT&T Baseball Park - 1.3 miles
  • Ghirardelli Square - 1.3 miles
  • Union Street - 1.6 miles
  • Pier 39 - 1.8 miles
  • Lombard St. - 1.9 miles
  • Alcatraz - 2.2 miles
  • Palace of Fine Arts - 2.3 miles
  • Golden Gate Bridge - 3 miles
  • Twin Peaks - 3.3 miles
  • Golden Gate Park - 5.3 miles

Your budget is critical. Hotels around Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 can be expensive and the area congested, but if there are things you want to see there, fine. SF is not that big, and taxis plentiful (I assume you wo't take public transport with luggage), so I would find the hotel that best fits your budget. Sofa in a room so you can watch TV? Unless you get a suite that can be tough. We recently stayed at the Hilton Financial District, where my wife had a meeting, and there was no sofa, but we just relaxed on the bed to watch TV (BTW, we had the hotel arrange a private car and were at SFO in less than 30 mins.). In past years I've also stayed at the historic Palace Hotel on Market Street, and the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero. IMHO, Fisherman's Wharf isn't the best place for good restaurants (our best meals on our last trip were at the Pied Piper Bar & Grill in the Palace Hotel and the 751 Restaurant at the Hilton, though dinner at Scoma's at FW was good), but different strokes for different folks.

Your budget is critical. Hotels around Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 can be expensive and the area congested, but if there are things you want to see there, fine. SF is not that big, and taxis plentiful (I assume you wo't take public transport with luggage), so I would find the hotel that best fits your budget. Sofa in a room so you can watch TV? Unless you get a suite that can be tough. We recently stayed at the Hilton Financial District, where my wife had a meeting, and there was no sofa, but we just relaxed on the bed to watch TV (BTW, we had the hotel arrange a private car and were at SFO in less than 30 mins.). In past years I've also stayed at the historic Palace Hotel on Market Street, and the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero. IMHO, Fisherman's Wharf isn't the best place for good restaurants (our best meals on our last trip were at the Pied Piper Bar & Grill in the Palace Hotel and the 751 Restaurant at the Hilton, though dinner at Scoma's at FW was good), but different strokes for different folks.

Sofa is because I have insomnia ... I need a place to retreat to in the middle of the night that is comfy and I can put my feet up if needed. A place that is not right next to where my hubby is sleeping. Also because of back issues, sitting on a bed for any length of time just doesn't work for me. I'm finding for the most part hotels are running about the same base price whether at the wharf or downtown. Yes, a few I checked are much higher but that it true in any city.

Trying to cut a few corners by not having to pay for cabs. Wanted a hotel to be close to the wharf. Because of my back issues, the step up on the cable car looks like it is too high for me to do easily

http://www.sfpalace.com/rooms

Palace Hotel

(looks nice .. big chair with ottoman ... doable)

Hotel is downtown

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d115617-Reviews-Palace_Hotel-San_Francisco_California.html

Trip Advisor Reviews

San Francisco Palace Hotel Area Attractions

I'm posting attractions in hotel info for reference purposes for others checking for hotels too.

Archived