"Live" (I hope) from Radiance - Sailing to Hawaii

PCWalton1

Service start a little slow as we were left standing at the desk for about five minutes but nothing was lacking after that. Our server was Jose from Mexico so we had Italian spoken to us with a Latin American accent.

The atmosphere is cozy, I think only about a dozen tables. The food was some of the best we have had on board of far. For starters Marie and I shared a plate of antipasti and I had some almond crusted scallops. For our pasta dish we had penne pastas with shrimp smoked salmon in a brandy sauce.

For entrees Marie had baked jumbo shrimp and I had veal ossobucco. By the time the dessert arrived Marie was stuffed, so was I but I had to have a cannoli and I was not disappointed. A delicious dinner served at a nice pace to allow us to enjoy.

8001489229_399108dc5d_c.jpg

8001489964_4155d28010_c.jpg

8001489848_8183960f13_c.jpg

8001489762_c02fe17b3a_c.jpg

8001488783_ed999721e7_c.jpg

From there it was back to the cabin to greet our newest friend.

8001490590_73769e0680_c.jpg

Day five found another beautiful morning on the balcony, a cup of coffee and Kindle in hand.

8001525936_31b819b674_c.jpg

This was the second morning we at breakfast in the main dining room. It’s nice to be waited on but sometimes the pace is a little slower than I like for breakfast. About three nights ago we had joked with a Filipina assistant waiter who was serving bread that we would like some Philippine pandasal rolls. Well the next night she told us if we wanted some for breakfast (that is really when you eat pandasal) she said there would be some tomorrow morning in main dining if we ask. So yesterday morning we went to MDR and ask about the rolls. Well several people asked around but came back to say there was none left but assured us they would have some tomorrow. We now we left obligated to we showed up so we did and sure enough they three rolls for us to share. They weren’t warm which is the way they are customarily served but they tasted like pandasal.

We got in a nice half hour walk on deck today as the weather is much warmer. We saw where the work never stops as several were working on refinishing the railing.

8001524174_4fc1878bef_c.jpg

8001523353_d599978ba4_c.jpg

Got a clear shot of our cruise mate Rhapsody but I assume they will be leaving us soon as we are not hitting the ports on the same days.

8001522877_fb2a5bcbce_c.jpg

Lounging poolside we got to see a few activities today, first the Sexiest Man Competition and then a volleyball match which was USA vs the rest of the world (it was a tie).

8001523131_d055227dcc_c.jpg

8001523724_c9da54962c_c.jpg

Since you know how many pinnacles are on board, do you also know if Super Mario has shown up? I heard he was joining the ship soon but I wasn't sure when. I thought it might have been in Vancouver. He is Royal Caribbean's top cruiser. If not, maybe it will be in Hawaii.

Gina

Edited by mommabean

Since you know how many pinnacles are on board, do you also know if Super Mario has shown up? I heard he was joining the ship soon but I wasn't sure when. I thought it might have been in Vancouver. He is Royal Caribbean's top cruiser. If not, maybe it will be in Hawaii.

Gina

Doesn't he travel alone? The four on board are two couples, Karen and here husband who were on our roll call. The other couple they announced last night but sorry I did not catch the names.

Edited by PCWalton1

This evening we had an enjoyable time in the main dining, though we could see out the window the weather was starting to turn. Lots of rain clouds and whitecaps.

Seems like the dinner menu was a holdover from the summer Alaska cruises but being from the Pacific Northwest it was fine with me. I had halibut chowder for a starter and venison for the main course. Marie had what was called the Alaska catch of the day which was cedar planked salmon. The venison was nice and tender but Marie was not fond of the salmon as it had too much coating on it. Sorry no food pictures again. I guess I need to focus more on picture taking and less on eating. Nah.

Tonight’s show was Piano Man, a tribute to all the piano players performed by the Royal Caribbean singers and dancers. I nice variety of Billy Joel, Elton John, Stevie Wonder and Barry Manilow with some old time blues and jazz thrown in.

Ship is doing some bobbing and weaving tonight which is putting me to sleep. See you tomorrow.

8002390748_90e0ec4325_c.jpg

8002387747_7049c0b838_c.jpg

8002390568_2df215692a_c.jpg

8002390490_681012965e_c.jpg

8002390856_7a86e52fd4_c.jpg

Doesn't he travel alone? The four on board are two couples, Karen and here husband who were on our roll call. The other couple they announced last night but sorry I did not catch the names.

Yes, he travels alone. He must not be there. I was just curious what it was like with him on board. :) Maybe he'll fly all the way to Sydney or maybe he gets on when you get off.

I know Pete and Karen. I don't remember who else was joining the ship with you.

Gina

Where does Super Mario come from?

Florida, where else? LOL Or do you mean which ship? :rolleyes: He mostly lives on board. Or so I hear. I also heard he was doing every Australia itinerary before going home. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll be on the crossing at all.

Tomorrow is Hawaii. I can't wait for some pictures.

Gina

Day six started grey and cloudy, kind of looked like a typical day back home in Seattle. But as soon as I stepped out on the balcony I could feel it was not as it is warm and very humid. The forecast is for rain showers today but Captain Bill said he will do his best to try to avoid most of them.

8004981178_88b01cddc9_c.jpg

After breakfast we found a couple of lounge chairs by the pool and settled in for awhile a there was many activities planned up here today. First was the Walk for Wishes, the charity walk that Royal Caribbean sponsors for Make A Wish. Cruise director Bobby announced we had two Make A Wish families on the ship for this cruise. Marie loves participating in this and I love getting a drink and cheering her on.

8004979235_e12f91c2df_c.jpg

8004979139_ee66ef0d46_c.jpg

Later in the morning it was the Men’s International Belly Flop competition. That is something that will never get old, nothing more fun than watching large men trying to splash all the water out of the pool. It was won this time by one of the small men particitapating, a guy from Australia who actually “score” a perfect five in his first dive.

8004981990_9ee8979c08_c.jpg

8004978849_5b90a7d456_c.jpg

8004978739_85a9a006a1_c.jpg

8004981576_8aef703491_c.jpg

Shortly after the belly flop was a poolside barbecue so no need to more to get food after all the exhausting activities. I jumped in live earlier to get plates for Marie and me. I guess Marie didn’t hear the part where I said I was getting plates for both of us as when I got back she was gone. She showed up about ten minutes later with another one. Oops, don’t worry we didn’t let it go to waste.

8004978421_714b11a3ca_c.jpg

8004981278_afb4f407b6_c.jpg

Those ribs tasted much better than they look.

Not being use to all the warm sunshine we headed in after lunch. Don’t want to get burnt just before hitting the islands. We took a walk through the picture area where Marie spotted the group picture from the Meet and Mingle back on day three. We then went to Café Lattitudes were I got a coffee to sip while we listened to music in the Centrum, a group called the Black Pearl Strings doing some group familiar classical numbers. That had Marie nodding off so we headed to the room for an afternoon nap.

Excellent review! Love the photos, especially the wake shots from your balcony. Never had any desire to book an aft cabin until those pictures.

Adding another cruise to our wish list...

Looking forward to more!

At the end of the cruise I am chaining myself to that balcony, I don't want to leave it. :D

We met Pete and Karen on the last Mariner run out of LA. It was quite amusing when Capt Fleming hauled them up front during the C&A events. Karen was rather surprised as I recall. Good folks.

You're right. I love them both, and, I miss the Mariner !! ;)

Yes, he travels alone. He must not be there. I was just curious what it was like with him on board. :) Maybe he'll fly all the way to Sydney or maybe he gets on when you get off.

I know Pete and Karen. I don't remember who else was joining the ship with you.

Gina

Hi Gina,

Super Mario was on the cruise we did from Dubai to Singapore on Voyager of the Seas...we would walk past his cabin on the way to ours and see the banner on his cabin wall celebrating his 3500 cruise points and past his "office" on the pool deck. We never got to talk to him, but he spoke at the platinum plus get together....amazing man!!

Looks like he is now on Majesty of the Seas cruising around the Bahamas.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1708410

Robyn

We had our second and last formal night tonight, I know that suit has shrunk since the other day. At dining it was French night. Bouillabaisse and Coq au van was my selections. The soup was good but one piece of chicken was undercooked and the other dry. Marie had baked butter fish which she enjoyed.

8005608240_d313c11488_c.jpg

8005608152_66d22838a8_c.jpg

Bernadette, our favorite server here in the theater and poolside.

8005606491_0575300088_c.jpg

The show tonight was Two Funny Guys, Mario and Daniel. We had seen them several years ago on a Mexican Riviera cruise. They added a few jokes for the Islands, still a couple of funny guys.

8005606429_9b36a6734b_c.jpg

8005606327_9ecc47d140_c.jpg

Had another friend visit tonight, tomorrow Hilo.

8005606769_f8bc063787_c.jpg

Hi Gina,

Super Mario was on the cruise we did from Dubai to Singapore on Voyager of the Seas...we would walk past his cabin on the way to ours and see the banner on his cabin wall celebrating his 3500 cruise points and past his "office" on the pool deck. We never got to talk to him, but he spoke at the platinum plus get together....amazing man!!

Looks like he is now on Majesty of the Seas cruising around the Bahamas.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1708410

Robyn

So...Mario is "home" right now. On Majesty of the Seas. :D I'll just have to keep wondering about his transfer and how he will like my favorite ship. :)

From reading that it appears the soonest he could be joining RD would be December. Pinnacles I spoke with on board seemed to think he was joining early this fall. It just shows I should never believe anything I hear no matter how reliable the source. :rolleyes:

Gina

Edited by mommabean

Hey - I wanna go too!!! We all had the pleasure of cruising this great ship and itinerary but coming north last April.......remember all the fun that we had???? Hope that we all will be able to cruise together again.....sooner better than later!!!!

I agree oh great and wonderful wizard:D We miss you!!!!!

Dee