Forum Maintenance: Wednesday March 20 @5:00 am ET Read more... ×
Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

debjo

4/24 DAWN REVIEW...Actually a Serial Novel

Well folks...at long last with a return to "good health" for me, my husband, AND my computer, here is my slightly overdue review. So grab a comfy chair and enjoy my DAWN rambling memoirs. Hopefully some future DAWN cruisers will pick up some good tips from my ramblings...and you seasoned past passengers will enjoy being "back on the DAWN" through my posts. I've gleaned much from these boards and it is now time to "give back". WARNING...this isn't a brief review and may rival "War and Peace" before it gets done. Since the Cruise Critic site limits the amount we can "post" at one time, and I tend to be a bit "long-winded", I'm going to make my posts to this board in segments. So, sit back and enjoy...remember "War and Peace" wasn't written in one day either! ;)

EPISODE ONE...THE DAY OF THE "DAWN"

Part A

Opening the window shades in our hotel room in order to gauge the weather for the day, we were surprised to see the change in the city’s terrain. Somehow the “Big Apple” had sprouted another building! Directly behind the Nelson Tower Building was another structure scraping the early morning skies. New York City was welcoming our early morning eyes with a magnificent view of the EMPIRE STATE TOWER BUILDING! In embarrassment, we concluded that we hadn’t recognized the most recognizable of New York City’s buildings in the fog the day before. The entire upper portion of the tower was obscured by the dense gray fog that rose above our 40th floor hotel room. What a view we could have enjoyed had the clouds only lifted! Anyway, seeing the ESTB before us now, gave us a great start to our day…the day we’d embark on the NORWEGIAN DAWN!

Kerry quickly showered while I got all of our belongings together. Our Queen Tower Suite accommodations at Ramada’s NEW YORKER HOTEL came complete with a complimentary continental breakfast in the Sky Lounge on the 39th floor. Keeping to our schedule, we arrived at breakfast at 9:15 am. The Sky Lounge was aptly named. Being on the southeast corner of the hotel it featured full window views of the Empire State Tower Building (and Chrysler Building in the distance), Madison Square Gardens, the lower Hudson River with the Financial District and Statue of Liberty in the distance. If we had dined on breakfast earlier, we might have seen the DAWN sailing up the Hudson from her 4/17 cruise! Breakfast offerings were typical “continental” fare…cold cereals, muffins, yogurts, juices & coffee. We didn’t eat much because we knew the feast that awaited us on the DAWN! We shared a table with a couple from Puerto Rico who were in NYC for a brief vacation piggy-backed to a business convention at the Javits Center. Kerry & I both took advantage of the picture windows and digitally captured some panoramic views of NYC.

On the way back to our hotel room, we encountered Rashama from housekeeping. We told her that we were going to be purchasing the “New Yorker” coffee mugs from our room. Upon checking, she couldn’t get new ones in boxes and told us to just take the two that were in our room. She seemed perplexed that we had checked into purchasing them and said we should have just “taken them…everyone else does”! Still, we paid for them when we checked out. Still on schedule, we were checking out at 10:15 am. We’ll definitely stay at the “New Yorker” again…great accommodations, good value for the money, service personnel as needed, in-house restaurants, and it is closer to the Passenger Pier Terminals than previous hotels we’ve stayed in.

Kerry decided that we didn’t need assistance with our luggage, but did have the doorman hail a cab for us at about 10:30 am. Our cabby, Kane, got us to the pier in minutes…the cost $9.00 ($6.90 plus tip). This was a great time to arrive at the terminal as the DAWN hadn’t yet disembarked the 4/17 passengers. We like to arrive early to avoid the crowds and be amongst the first passengers to board a ship. Besides it is fun to watch the “usual” smiling faces of the ship’s previous cruisers.

Since it wasn’t yet a confusing mass of people outside the terminal, the longshoremen were eager to take our baggage. Tipping them $1.00 per bag with an extra $1.00 for good measure, we hoped we’d see our luggage in our cabin before dinner. Without the throngs of people crowding the pier, we leisurely took some pictures and video of the DAWN before entering the two-level pier building. With our carry-on bags in tow, we were immediately greeted by an NCL representative. I asked where the “Latitudes” line was as the traffic flow of the people inside the building was set up in a different manner that we’d seen in years past. We were directed to the left and told to look for the stairs up to the “island” above us. At the stairs another representative checked our tickets for LATITUDES or VIP status. Having “cleared” this check-point, up we went. We were surprised that there weren’t too many “early” arrivals like ourselves. We could sit anywhere except within the roped off “VIP” area, which was set apart for the DAWN’s Penthouse and Suite passengers. Interestingly, VIP did not include any wedding parties (of which there was one couple getting married on the ship, along with their “group”). This second level “island” now had the addition of a beverage vending machine, so we weren’t going to have to go downstairs to get something at the small food stand.

We noticed that the “wall” that had separated this first section of the building from the waiting area on the lower level had been removed. This gave us a better view of the regular and “special needs” passengers waiting to embark, as well as those passengers who’d soon pass through once they’ve disembarked. I was glad to see that the lower level was set up with chairs for “regular” passengers to wait in. In previous years, you were left to literally standing in the snake-like line until the boarding process began. The “security” area where you go through the metal detectors, boarding process counters, and luggage pick-up areas were still enshrouded behind a wall deeper into the building. Across the building, we could see the bow of the DAWN tied up…starboard side to the pier.

I discreetly took a few pictures and talked with the NCL representative in the VIP area (who was awaiting her “people”). She told me that the order of embarkation would be: Special Needs people first, followed by her VIP people…Latitudes passengers would be next followed by the regular passengers.

It wasn’t until about 11:00 am that passengers from the April 17th cruise began filtering through the pier terminal building to the street, taxis and home. By 11:45 am that “line” formed a solid barrier…it wasn’t moving! I don’t know what the hold up was, but it was definitely on the street side of things. It meant we weren’t going to be on the DAWN by noon, like we usually are.

I managed to work my way through the throngs of people to the street so I could take a picture of our portside balcony cabin. It is in a perfect location to spot from afar…being the balcony directly to the upper left of the “flame” of the Statue of Liberty hull art. There were literally hordes of people with luggage and yellow New York cabs lining the street. Still I couldn’t figure out what was causing the bottleneck of disembarking passengers in the terminal.

TO BE CONTINUED... :)

Debjo

Sorry, I stopped reading after the 2nd paragraph.

(Don't quit your day job )

I hope you take this in the spirit it was given.

KC:mad:

Debjo,

I enjoyed your first episode. I want to read every word of your "War and Peace." :D I know I will learn so much from your episodes that will help in planning my 8-14 cruise. I've been following Greenie's "chunks" and took many notes.

Thanks for taking the time to post all your memories for those of us in the planning stages.

I'm looking forward to your next episode!

KRAZECARL, You may not like reading this review but there is no need to be insulting. This type of insensitive remark will only serve to silence those who want to share. I enjoyed DEBJO's review and I want to hear more.

Wow, Krazecarl. You're a terrible reviewer. Don't quit -your- day job.

Debjo: Thanks for taking the time to review this for us. I'm enjoying your easy, tell it like it is style of telling us about your trip. Don't let the negative nellys (or Carls) get you down :)

Debjo...Please continue posting your review. I'm enjoying it very much. In one sense I'm reliving the past...my Feb Dawn cruise, and in another I'm preparing for the future...my Oct. 21st Jewel cruise. Don't pay any attention to krazycarl's comments. They were unecessarily rude considering the time and effort it takes to post such a detailed review. Many of us here will be looking forward to your next installment.

Thank you for taking the time to post for us.

Happy cruising!

Don't worry, krazecarl, I'm sure we all took it in the spirit it was given--a nasty, ugly spirit. :(

Debjo, I love your review! I feel like I am living it. Thank you--I need to be cruising again! I can't wait until "we" board the ship and see "our" cabin! :)

Keep 'em comin' girl!

Debjo ~ Keep 'em comin' Keep 'em comin' Keep 'em comin' !!!!!!

I loved your first installment. This is almost as good as reading The Green Mile (which you may remember came out in short installments). DebJo ~ you have the gift of anticipation and Stephen King's suspense. I CAN'T WAIT to read Part B of Episode One :D

i lost interest here-

EPISODE ONE...THE DAY OF THE "DAWN"

:D

not gonna feed the you-know-whats ...

debjo...Guess what? krazecarl posted a new roll call thread on May 8 and hasn't had a single reply in 11 days!!! CCers can probably read his "attitude".

Keep going with this review! This whole "Wotta Hooter" thing is hysterical and you all sound like a great bunch. ;)

Keep 'em coming Debjo!!!

Whomever isn't interested in reading a post entitled "review" should not read it. Why bother bashing those who do. If it doesn't interest you, then move along ... preferably as quietly as possible.

G

WOW!

Greenie, I can't wait for your response.

I won't waste my time or energy!

Cosmopolitan, we both know you can't buy class.

;)

I never cease to be amazed at the rudeness of some people.. I have not been on the Dawn, have no plans of ever sailing the Dawn.. Yet I still read and love the reviews..

It takes time and effort to post reviews.. Some folks need to be ashamed of themselves..

Please keep the reviews coming.. :)

P.S I hope Celicia makes your ugly posts go 'poof'.. [Carl]

***:eek:*** There....I just waved my POOF WAND....hope he's gone and took his friend with him.

Debjo: I loved your review. Couldn't put it down. Keep em coming. Can't wait for next installment. I so excited, I joined the Wotta Hoota club today.

Tony & Judy..see you both in August...bye for now

not gonna feed the you-know-whats ...

hay!Greenie...you see this:D that means i was joking.

Jeez,get a grip.

Wotta Hoot loving the review, I can't get enough.

Please keep posting foir those of us that have been waiting for your review.

I love the details. Keep them coning.

hay!Greenie...you see this:D that means im joking.

Jeez,get a grip.

Well, it'd be really nice if you were, and I'm glad you said that, tommy2811. But you know, you can't just type something mean or hurtful, slap a :D on it, and know that it is no longer mean or hurtful to the people reading it. Especially when they don't know you and your sense of humor.

debjo...Guess what? krazecarl posted a new roll call thread on May 8 and hasn't had a single reply in 11 days!!! CCers can probably read his "attitude".

Keep going with this review! This whole "Wotta Hooter" thing is hysterical and you all sound like a great bunch. ;)

Well then, get on over to the (temporary) Wotta Hooter Homeroom (chunks thread) and jump in the fun, girl!

;)