mitchmagi

Celebrity Solstice or Radiance - Alaska ?

Which ship has the most glass in terms of maximising views ? Solstice or Radiance ?

Have sailed Radiance before - but never Solstice ...

Feedback wld be appreciated

Thanks

Which ship has the most glass in terms of maximising views ? Solstice or Radiance ?

Have sailed Radiance before - but never Solstice ...

Feedback wld be appreciated

Thanks

I don't know which ship actually has more glass, but I love both the Jewel (Radiance's sister ship) and the Solstice. Great restaurants on Solstice, and Celebrity has all-inclusive drink packages if that appeals to you.

My two favorite ships! Radiance probably does have more glass (at least for looking through) but both are outstanding. I'd base by decision on itinerary because you can't go wrong with either of these ships

Wow! As much as I love the Radiance Class ships, I might have to go with the Solstice on this one. It's a magnificent ship! Be sure and book Aqua Class if you can.....unbeleivable experience!

You don't say if you have been to Alaska before or not. If so, and this is a repeat itinerary that you've done several times before, go for the 'ship'. If not, you should pay closer attention to the itinerary, length of time in ports of call, if it hits a glacier area, and whether or not it kills a half day over dinner time at night in Victoria on your last evening on the ship to 'follow the rules'.

Typical N/B Radiance of the Seas itinerary:

- Vancouver depart 4:30 PM

- Inside Passage

- Ketchikan 06:00 AM 04:00 PM

- Icy Strait Point 09:00 AM 06:00 PM

- Juneau 07:00 AM 08:30 PM

- Skagway 07:00 AM 04:30 PM

- Hubbard Glacier 07:00 AM 11:00 AM

- Seward arrive 05:00 AM

Typical Celebrity Solstice itinerary:

- Seattle depart 5pm

- At sea

- Ketchikan 7:00AM 04:00 PM

- Tracy Arm Fjord 06:00 AM 10:00 AM...then...

....same day Juneau 01:30 PM 10:00 PM

- Skagway 07:00 AM 06:00 PM

- At Sea

- Victoria 06:00 PM 11:59 PM

- Seattle 07:00 AM

I've cruised Alaska five times and IMHO the Radiance of the Seas has a much nicer itinerary, as does just about ANY ship that sails round trip from Vancouver, and or n/b s/b to/from Vancouver, over just about any itinerary that sails r/t from Seattle.

Having already cruised Alaska five times if/when I go again I'll pick the Celebrity Solstice because the itinerary is no longer important.

Edited by dmwnc1959

We had this same dilemma.....we have chosen to go on the Solstice again for Alaska next August. The ship....well I love RCCL but the Solstice is the prettiest ship (interior) I have ever seen. Just the right amount of people and I believe perfect for Alaska.

We've been on both classes of ships. Radiance would get my vote due to enclosed solarium and HOT whirlpools; solstice class enclosed solarium, but no whirlpools there (which by the way are only warm).