• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Baseball Caps in MDR

Poohb

I have a feeling this may cause in argument but other threads got me thinking. I am a 'senior' and cruise 2X a year. My parents were not strict but one of their rules was that we had to remove caps if we expected to sit at the dinner table. I would like to know CC folks feelings about men (or ladies) wearing ball caps during lunch or dinner in the MDR. I can't 'shake' this off and this is probably the only thing that 'annoys' me. Would it be improper to ask the wearer to remove it? I have seen the waitstaff at the door ask men to remove their caps but they will often put them back on once they are at a table. I am not trying to cause trouble. I am looking for other people's opinions. I do think that if I noticed that someone was wearing a cap and they had a 'hair' issue i.e. cancer or other problem, I wouldn't mind so much. No rudeness please.

I have a feeling this may cause in argument but other threads got me thinking. I am a 'senior' and cruise 2X a year. My parents were not strict but one of their rules was that we had to remove caps if we expected to sit at the dinner table. I would like to know CC folks feelings about men (or ladies) wearing ball caps during lunch or dinner in the MDR. I can't 'shake' this off and this is probably the only thing that 'annoys' me. Would it be improper to ask the wearer to remove it? I have seen the waitstaff at the door ask men to remove their caps but they will often put them back on once they are at a table. I am not trying to cause trouble. I am looking for other people's opinions. I do think that if I noticed that someone was wearing a cap and they had a 'hair' issue i.e. cancer or other problem, I wouldn't mind so much. No rudeness please.

I wouldn't wear a ball cap in the dinning room, but what other people do that's their choice. I'm not going to have a bad experience in the dinning room because someone decides to wear a hat.

As far as you personally asking someone to remove their cap, I would strongly suggest against it, it's a good way to get knocked on your tail. Let the staff enforce the rules if it is a rule, and if it bothers you so much then contact staff and again let them handle it.

I am in agreement with you 200%. But I am retired and some of the younger generation (an/or class) doesn't recognize good manners or unwilling to use them. You will probaly get all kinds of responses defending their position as some of them are the ME intellect. If they have to be ASKED to remove their hats you probably will get a negetive stare if not more. I commend you for asking and hope they:D:D respond gracefully. Have a wonderful cruise, we go on the Dream in November.

This sentence summates as to why I would never ask someone to remove their cap, hat, turban, etc. because frankly, it's none of my business! I'm at the MDR for my dining experience, not their's!

I think most of us have been brought up properly and to remove the cap at any dinning area. It would be better to have the dinning staff to have the person remove the cap and if they do not there should be a medical reason. The other option is to have the staff move you to another table if there is a noncompliance from the person.

Enjoy the fun in the sun as it is your vaction.

If my family and I were seated at a table of 8 or 10 or more at dinner and one of our table mates decided to come to the table with a ball cap on I would be asking for it to be removed. After all, the dinning experience comes from the table at which you are seated. Doesn't happen so much in Asia Pacific cruises unless there is a large contingent of US passengers.

I absolutely agree that it is wrong, wrong, wrong - and a display of ignorance and rudeness besides. Having said that, I wouldn't go so far as to ask that it be removed. If the person were seated at my table, I WOULD do a lot of glaring however.

I understand what you are saying, and I am also a "senior", but since there is no way that you could know for sure about the above line I don't think it would be appropriate to ask that it be removed. That should be up to staff. JMHO

The only time I could see it being less than bad manners is if the person wearing the cap was recovering from chemo treatments. In the case of cancer I throw the manner book out (as far as head dress goes). The problem I find with any of the what can I wear threads is that people simply forget manners. This has become the me society. It is all about me and what I want. If I hear one more person say "it is MY cruise because I paid for it so I will do as I please and wear what I want..."

It really saddens me that this is what the world has come to. Yes it is a suggested dress code and you won't get thrown out but you know it is expected of you when you book so why fight it?? Man I must be getting old...wish it was still the world I grew up in !!

I wouldn't wear a ball cap in the dinning room, but what other people do that's their choice. I'm not going to have a bad experience in the dinning room because someone decides to wear a hat.

As far as you personally asking someone to remove their cap, I would strongly suggest against it, it's a good way to get knocked on your tail. Let the staff enforce the rules if it is a rule, and if it bothers you so much then contact staff and again let them handle

I agree! Usually I focus on having a good time on my cruise. I do not focus on things that do not affect me at all. I just don't have time nor the desire to worry about what other people are doing that does not affect me. If I walked around the cruise ship looking for people that did not wear the proper dress to the MDR my life would be pretty sad. Really who cares enjoy yourself, try it you might like it!

I heard a story that Bum Phillips, ledgendary NFL coach, was asked whyhe never wore his "signature" cowboy hat for home games at the Astro Dome - he said that his mother had always told his it was bad manners to wear a hat indoors.

Personally, I could deal with people at nearby tables being crude enough to wear a baseball cap at the dinner table, but I would prefer not to have someone with so little regard for me and his other tablemates to flaunt basic manners. It indicates that he does not respect me. He is likely the same slob who did not remove his hat in the church he and I were visiting earlier that day and/or the dude who could not be bothered to remove his hat for his national anthem.

If someone wears a baseball cap in the MDR, he/she would possible also wear other clothes not suitable for the dining room.

The reason we go to the MDR is to have an enjoyable meal in a nice environment. Why is it that so many of you will let it go and accept that others can not adhere to the suggested dresscode. I know it is only suggested, but that should tell the guests something. Shouldn't it?

I would expect baseball caps and other hats in the Windjammer though

So is it just men with ball caps, not dressy hats or woman with hats?

Guess you decided who picks the fashion these days. I find it hard to ask someone to remove thier hat when someone else might be wearing a hat I approve of. So guess at dinner, church,etc you need to explain why thier hat is wrong but grandmas is approved?

I would never wear a hat period and either would anyone in my family. But I find your rules one sided. No hats or hats?

MDR staff will ask the hat wearer to remove it, you don't have to ask them...

I wish that was true across the board but it has not been my experience, sadly.

If someone wears a baseball cap in the MDR, he/she would possible also wear other clothes not suitable for the dining room....

Yes, further to the comment above, the same man who wore a baseball cap to breakfast in the MDR was also wearing a muscle shirt (sleeveless tank). His armpit hair was a-flappin' and no staff member said anything. *shrug*

The only time I could see it being less than bad manners is if the person wearing the cap was recovering from chemo treatments. In the case of cancer I throw the manner book out (as far as head dress goes). The problem I find with any of the what can I wear threads is that people simply forget manners. This has become the me society. It is all about me and what I want. If I hear one more person say "it is MY cruise because I paid for it so I will do as I please and wear what I want..."

It really saddens me that this is what the world has come to. Yes it is a suggested dress code and you won't get thrown out but you know it is expected of you when you book so why fight it?? Man I must be getting old...wish it was still the world I grew up in !!

Wait re read what you have posted!! If a person wears a turban, its OK, if they wear a cowboy hat its OK, but jeez a man that wears a cap is scum? Re think your me, me, me statement!!! 99% of men wearing caps will remove them, I have never seen a turban removed nor a cowboy hat!! Those who care what others wear in the MDR are the me, me, me people, and who cares what others do unless they are loud, rude, and obnoxious to you???? Jeez people just enjoy your family, your table, and forget about what others do, I'm sure they could care less what you do within reason, and dress code of course!!:D

As far as you personally asking someone to remove their cap, I would strongly suggest against it, it's a good way to get knocked on your tail. Let the staff enforce the rules if it is a rule, and if it bothers you so much then contact staff and again let them handle

I agree! Usually I focus on having a good time on my cruise. I do not focus on things that do not affect me at all. I just don't have time nor the desire to worry about what other people are doing that does not affect me. If I walked around the cruise ship looking for people that did not wear the proper dress to the MDR my life would be pretty sad. Really who cares enjoy yourself, try it you might like it!

I totally agree, and thats what I said above, worry about yourself and family, the waiters will ask for a cap to be removed on formal night!!! :eek:

I explained my condition and why I wore a cap, it all was handled buy the ships staff, not someone that will not enjoy a meal because a person wears something on their heads!!!

The whole head is about 9% of your total body. That makes the top of the head about 3-4%. I've chosen not to be offended by 3-4% of someones body being covered by fabric.

I was raised not wearing a cap to dinner or even inside. But times are changing. I automatically remove my cap when sitting at a table. But I really don't care what other people do. Life is to short to care what other people wear on their head.

Archived