Cruise Critic Community
subaru94

cabins Splendour of the Seas

We are cruising on the Splendour June Eastern Mediterranean cruise, looking at a oceanview cabin, which side of the ship is better, and is it worth paying extra for a balcony cabin please?

We are doing this cruise in May. I have read from others on Cruise Critic that the sail away from Venice on the port side is very nice. We always book balcony rooms. If you don't get the balcony room, you may want to get to the pool deck for sail away a bit early to be along the rail. We have been on several caribbean cruises but this will be our first med cruise. I have learned so much from this site and think it is so nice of everyone to take the time to post their knowledge and experience.

HI,

We just got off the Splendour a few weeks ago. We had an oceanview cabin deck 3 and loved it. We were actually on the starboard side so we had a view of the water most mornings. With that in mind, as the other poster has said, we went up to the pool deck for sail away and it was breathtaking. You want to be on the port side. When the ship is docked, the port side is facing the industrial part of the cruise terminal. No one understood that the ship would back up. So we had prime standing room when the ship finally did back up and was sailing past Venice. Everyone started to scramble to our side pretty fast!:D

. . . When the ship is docked, the port side is facing the industrial part of the cruise terminal. No one understood that the ship would back up. So we had prime standing room when the ship finally did back up and was sailing past Venice. . . .

What Hipster said. We sailed in November some in our somewhat wimpy group [including DW] were concerned about the weather being out on deck. Having leaarend about the port side trick from CC, we staked out a place on the port side in the Viking Crown Lounge. Wonderful view -- and at that time, there was an outside area to the rear of the VCL where I could take pictures and still step inside to visit with the wimps from time to time. Turned out to be beautiful weather anyway. One advantage to sailing in the fall was that it was twilight at sailaway with the lights of the city coming on. As dramatic as sailaway from Venice is in broad daylight, I think it is double that at twilight.

Edited by mjldvlks

Thank you for your responses, so starboard for cabin and port when leaving Venice, have I got that right please.:)

Thank you for your responses, so starboard for cabin and port when leaving Venice, have I got that right please.:)

Hi!

Yes, as long as you do sail away from port side you will be fine. Since we didn't have a balcony,starboard side was fine for cabin. We reached most ports late morning so we were already up and about by the time we reached land.

Thank you for all your feedback will get cheapest oceanview cabin and spend on tours.:D

There ya go! Seriously, our 3rd deck cabin was great..We were under the Main dining room and it was VERY quiet. We never even felt the ship move. We felt that there was plenty of room. Only downside was that eventho they redid the ship, they kept the dreaded clingy shower curtain! Also, we booked early but as summer was nearing, the prices went down! We got a price drop around $ 900 for the 2 of us. So, keep that in mind.

If you have any other questions about the ship or itinerary, let me know.

Ali

There ya go! Seriously, our 3rd deck cabin was great..We were under the Main dining room and it was VERY quiet. We never even felt the ship move. We felt that there was plenty of room. Only downside was that eventho they redid the ship, they kept the dreaded clingy shower curtain! Also, we booked early but as summer was nearing, the prices went down! We got a price drop around $ 900 for the 2 of us. So, keep that in mind.

If you have any other questions about the ship or itinerary, let me know.

Ali

Thank you hipster, have booked cruise 2 oceanview cabins deck 2, got a really good deal through a US travel agent, although we are from Australia and our cousin from England, never been to the mediterranean before really excited.:D

Just off Splendour (sept 22 -29th) I was large oceanview- port side Deck 2. It's a nice quiet deck...you made a good choice!

Just off Splendour (sept 22 -29th) I was large oceanview- port side Deck 2. It's a nice quiet deck...you made a good choice!

Thank you ShylaQ, where did you go on your cruise?

It was a med cruise Venice-Bari-Corfu-Athens-Mykonos-Dubrovnik-Venice! And it was spectacular!! Let me know if you have any specific questions and I would be glad to try to answer!

Thank you hipster, have booked cruise 2 oceanview cabins deck 2, got a really good deal through a US travel agent, although we are from Australia and our cousin from England, never been to the mediterranean before really excited.:D

You are very welcome!:D You will love the Med. We did Venice, Bari, Corfu, Santorini, Kusadisi, Olimpia. As the poster ShylaQ said, the itinerary was spectacular!

Edited by hipster1