Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hopefull

Be careful with Royal Caribbean

We booked a cruise for 2 couples on the Grandeur of the Seas, scheduled to leave on April 23, 2005.

The ship struck a dock in Costa Maya the week prior to our departure and was late in returing to New Orleans.

We were offered a shortened cruise to a different port for a minimal refund (a small on board credit) or A FULL REFUND OF ALL MONEYS PAID if we elected to cancel our booking. For several reasons (one of which was the poor customer service) we elected to cancel our cruise.

I was advised that I could expect to receive a full credit on my credit card within 2-3 weeks.

The credit is still not posted, even after my call at the begining of last week during which I was advised that the credit would be posted within 2-3 days.

Today, I spent 32 minutes on hold with no human contact.

Royal Caribbean had no problem in accepting my money..... are they having financial problems and can't find the money to refund the charges for two cabins???

Simalar experiences??? How resolved???

We booked a cruise for 2 couples on the Grandeur of the Seas, scheduled to leave on April 23, 2005.

The ship struck a dock in Costa Maya the week prior to our departure and was late in returing to New Orleans.

We were offered a shortened cruise to a different port for a minimal refund (a small on board credit) or A FULL REFUND OF ALL MONEYS PAID if we elected to cancel our booking. For several reasons (one of which was the poor customer service) we elected to cancel our cruise.

I was advised that I could expect to receive a full credit on my credit card within 2-3 weeks.

The credit is still not posted, even after my call at the begining of last week during which I was advised that the credit would be posted within 2-3 days.

Royal Caribbean had no problem in accepting my money..... are they having financial problems and can't find the money to refund the charges for two cabins???

I'm not sure, but I just called to change a reservation, and there was no wait to get a person at all. I guess it may have something to do with the fact that their business offices are closed. I would wait until tomorrow to call them.

My in laws had to cancel a cruise due to illness.......my father in law eventually passed away. Immediately, within 5 days 50% of what they had paid had been refunded and within 2 or 3 weeks, the remaining balance was paid in full.

If you have a t/a, get them involved...........it may speed along your refund.

On my last cruise I found out that RCI was offering Sr. Cit. discounts. I contacted my TA and within 2 wks had the difference in price credited to my credit card by RCI.

Can't ask for more than that.

Well of course you spent 32 minutes on hold, this is SUNDAY... CALL THEM ON MONDAY and you will get "human contact"!!! :rolleyes:

I booked my July cruise with RC and paid the $500 plus some. I then found a much better deal with an online agency. So i cancelled with RCI and within two weeks, I had my full refund.

To the OP--how could you possibly relate your lack of refund to financial woes--exactly how much is your refund that it would make a difference????

Six of us booked a 7-day cruise on the Rhapsody out of Galveston. Later we found cheaper prices on various Internet sites and RCI immediately and cheerfully issued refunds. It seems like it was less than two weeks. We were all extremely impressed.:) (By the way, the ship - the food- the crew - the cabins - everything was A++++.) The only time I've been "on hold" with RCI is when I called to inquire about "group" rates. The hold time is so long that I've never once gotten through to that department. Nor have any of my emails been answered. But other than that, the agents are extremely friendly, prompt and professional.

Did you cancel or just not-show?

And I agree, the small amount you paid for two cabins will not hurt their bottom line :rolleyes:

###

It is not unusual to wait 4-6 weeks before a refund makes it to your card.

Since its been about a month, I wouldn't worry too much yet. But I would keep calling, during the week. the people who process this are not working on weekends. Also RCI is a public traded company that has been reporting record income.

Guest OBAYbee

A number of the regulars here are familiar with my bit of a mess regarding my FOS bookings.

I must say, every time I called customer service I was put on hold. I think the longest was 25 minutes.

My mess with our FOS cruise was resolved. The $2,500 over charge was credited to my card and all is well.

My new contact person at RCCL even called me Friday afternoon to see if there was anything he could do for me. I of course told him no, but I was totally impressed he took that initiative.

So far, seeing as how the FOS cruise is the first I've made directly with RCCL it has been pretty good.

I have to agree with some though. What RCCL needs is better customer service. I can honestly tell you that I was REALLY close to withdrawing my $40,000 for the FOS cruise because of the way I was treated by a customer service agent.

Report card:

Ships: A+

cabins: A

my new agent David: A+

RCCL Customer Service: D

I have had great experiences from the Customer Service, although we did experience some difficulties with them on board. My future cruise credit certificates were sent to me immediately.

Some how I don't think that RCCL is in enough financial trouble for them not to be able to refund two cruise fares.

After 4 weeks, we got about 90% of the full refund credited to my wife's card. RCI's still holding $150 which they say will be credited this week. Our friends who were also scheduled on the 5/23 cruise received their full refund about two weeks ago. As others have suggested, I would continue to call them regularly. You may want to ask for a supervisor since they are now past the time of your promised refund.

My family and I were also supposed to be on the 4/23 sailing. I cannot believe how unorganized and poor their customer service was.

After seeing the posts about the problem on this board, I contacted RCI and the first time they said they didn't know about the problem. The next time they said check back at noon. The next time they said the ship would be leaving on 4/24 and there would be a $125 credit per person. Then the website said there were no plans yet, check bat at 6P. When I called at 6, they said call at 7. When I called at 7, they asked me what I wanted to know about and that I should call back at 7 Central. When I called at 8, they said don't call anymore, check the website or with your TA (the TA gave us the number RCI said to call).

They finally updated the website around 10P, which gave the new agenda (which was terrible). We called the redeployment desk and asked if we could switch to another ship. We got a delightful person who said it could be done, but needed to be done by our TA our pay twice. The next morning we were at the TA when they opened, and they were told by RCI that we could not transfer to another ship in their fleet.

We ended up cancelling and booking on Celebrity, driving to FLL (losing plane tickets) and having a wonderful time. There is no way I would even consider using RCI again after this treatment.

We ended up cancelling and booking on Celebrity, driving to FLL (losing plane tickets) and having a wonderful time. There is no way I would even consider using RCI again after this treatment.

LOL, that's hilarious... You sure showed RCI didn't you? :rolleyes: