Bacterial Meningitis outbreak reported on MSC Orchestra

Salacia

One has to take this as irony given the way they handle this situation. I really like MSC, but I'm starting to wonder if there is a cultural difference in the way incidents are handled.

I also wonder, but there are protocols in place when it comes to contagious diseases, and cultural differences are of little difference: bacteria doesn't discriminate.

MSC Cruises USA, I'm happy to read that there have been no additional cases reported. What is the time period between possible exposure and onset of symptoms? (I've read it is up to 7 days, is that accurate?)

Also, what is the time period during which passengers who were on the ship before the outbreak was confirmed was might also have exposed to the illness? Thanks -S.

Lacking a response from MSC, quoted below is the information I found , but I'm unclear as to how the how long the antibiotics must be taken...is one dose sufficient? From what I've read, passengers and crew were given one dose.

Also wondering if ciprofoxacin and rifampicin were the the most available anti-biotics for 2,800 people. (Isn't that the anti-biotics stockpiled in the event of terror attacks? - Not specific to the treatment of bacterial meningitis?) Happy that anti-biotics were availabe in mass quantities, but I do hope that anyone who might have been exposed knows to contact their doctor for assesment.

(CNN) -- Doctors distributed antibiotics to passengers aboard an Italian cruise ship after four crew members were diagnosed with bacterial meningitis, Italy's health ministry reported Monday.

All four were taken to hospitals in the Italian port of Livorno after the crew of the MSC Orchestra reported the illnesses, the ministry said. More than 2,800 doses of the antibiotics ciprofloxacin and rifampicin were issued for passengers, and the ministry said passengers who have disembarked in the past week should take similar precautions quoted from http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/08/health/italy-meningitis/index.html

Good morning Cruise Critic Friends,

As a precautionary measure we are reaching out to all guests who sailed on board MSC Orchestra from Oct. 1st on.

We understand you are wanting answers to questions asked and we are looking into them and will update you with more information as the day progresses.

Hi all,

To follow up with further inquiries we have provided additional information below.

When was medication first given?

All guests on board MSC Orchestra received antibiotic treatment as a precautionary measure as soon as MSC received the diagnosis with bacterial meningitis for the 4 crew members. The treatment was given Sunday evening, October 7th. The embarking guests in Livorno received the treatment the day after, October 8th.

Are guests given one dose or is it something they take for several days?

Adults should take ciprofloxacina (500 mg) only once. For guests who have already taken a dose of ciprofloxacina (500 mg), there is no need for follow up action. Pregnant women and those allergic to the treatment should refer directly to their doctor before taking any medication. Children weighing under 66 pounds should be taken to their doctor or local health service where treatment should be administered by a different method.

What is the time frame from exposure to onset of symptoms?

Symptoms can appear 7-10 day after contagion.

I hope this helps answer your inquiries at this time.

I'd like to thank everyone who provided us yesterday with the critical information that our doctor needed, in particular Salacia and Kathleen, but also MSC Cruises USA who stepped in where MSC Germany failed to communicate. Fantastic job of our doctor who stayed in communication with us till 9 pm till we were able to collect some information.

We got our prescription of Ciprofoxacin filled yesterday and should be ok.

Here are my final thoughts on the case:

I give credit to MSC for informing us rather than trying to cover it up. Nevertheless, sending out an e-mail 30 minutes before their office closed recommending to see a doctor, but not to provide any of the specifics that a doctor needed to assess the situation and then to be unreachable is just not the way to go.

Here's what I would have expected (hoping MSC is able to learn for future incidents):

- An e-mail that includes all necessary medical information

- including the strain of bacteria, recommended antibiotics, typical symptoms to watch out for

- including the positions that the affected crew members worked in so that the risk of exposure can be assessed

- including the phone number of someone on the medical team who is able to answer specific questions that a patient or doctor may have

Thank again,

Michael

Irishman45-

The crew members affected by this unfortunate illness worked as a waiter, an assistant waiter and two of the crew worked in the kitchen.

Do you know which tables they served? We had table 704 in the Ibiscus restaurant.

Hi all,

To follow up with further inquiries we have provided additional information below.

When was medication first given?

All guests on board MSC Orchestra received antibiotic treatment as a precautionary measure as soon as MSC received the diagnosis with bacterial meningitis for the 4 crew members. The treatment was given Sunday evening, October 7th. The embarking guests in Livorno received the treatment the day after, October 8th.

Are guests given one dose or is it something they take for several days?

Adults should take ciprofloxacina (500 mg) only once. For guests who have already taken a dose of ciprofloxacina (500 mg), there is no need for follow up action. Pregnant women and those allergic to the treatment should refer directly to their doctor before taking any medication. Children weighing under 66 pounds should be taken to their doctor or local health service where treatment should be administered by a different method.

What is the time frame from exposure to onset of symptoms?

Symptoms can appear 7-10 day after contagion.

I hope this helps answer your inquiries at this time.

MSC Cruises USA, thank you very much for your response.

The ill crew members were admitted to hospital in Livorno on Oct 7, which means that they might have contracted bacterial meningitis 7 -10 days prior to the onset of symptoms, according to the information provided.

Depending on when the symptoms first appeared (and it must have been prior to Oct.7), those in close contact might have been exposed 10 or more days earlier. So what has been given as the possible exposure time frame appears to be a few days short of the contagion period. If that is correct, more notifications are necessary, not limited to passengers who disembarked the ship one week prior to the hospitalization of those crew members.

Thanks again for your reponse and best wishes to the stricken crew members and their loved ones; I am so sorry for their pain. Ciao, -S.

Alex71-

Unfortunately we do not have the information regarding the tables that the staff were assigned. However, if you have concerns, we recommend following the plan we have stated and contacting your doctor for any further followup.

Wishing you all health and happiness!

Hi MSC Cruises USA,

Thank you very much for trying and also for all the valuable information you did provide. We've taken the recommended antibiotics without experiencing any side effects and are in good health.

Despite this scare, our overall experince during the cruise was quite positive and our next one will likely be with MSC again.

Thanks again,

Michael

Here in Florida my newspaper for last few days has carried news of meningitis in the USA, the outbreak has been linked to a pain killing injection for back pain. The serum was contaminated, and has been recalled by the company.

I believe about 100 + people here have been hospitalized. I realise this does not help anyone who is worried about the outbreak on board ship, but there maybe a link between these outbreaks. Could the crew members also had injections for back pain?

Here in Florida my newspaper for last few days has carried news of meningitis in the USA, the outbreak has been linked to a pain killing injection for back pain. The serum was contaminated, and has been recalled by the company.

I believe about 100 + people here have been hospitalized. I realise this does not help anyone who is worried about the outbreak on board ship, but there maybe a link between these outbreaks. Could the crew members also had injections for back pain?

Hi Jimsgirl. I don't think there is any connection between the current outbreak of meningitis in the USA which was linked to contaminated steriod injections and the outbreak on MSC Orchestra - two completly differ types of meningitis. The current fungal meningitis outbreak in the US is not transmitted person-to-person, whereas the Neisseria meningitides that has stricken 4 crew members is contagious. Regards, -S.

Ciprofloxon is also used to treat Chest infections, on people who have Cystic Fibrosis.

My son has been prescribed this often, from a very young age with no side effects.

The only thing he has too be careful with is sunlight,as he 'can' burn easier.

Hope this helps anyone, who is worried about side effects.

Hi

New to the forum so apologise if this is in the wrong place but I was hoping for some reassurance from MSC that the outbreak is under control and the ship no longer contaminated as we depart on her for a med cruise next Tuesday.

There's no connection at all between the two types of meningitis. The one on the cruise ship was bacterial and is contagious. The one connected with the epidural injections is fungal and not contagious.

Usually every year or so our local news will carry warnings where someone working in a particular resturant was diagnosed with meningitis and they recommended people see their dr. if they develop symptoms. Normally only a few cases come up.

It seems to me that MSC has really been proactive in containing the infection and protecting their passengers and getting the word out.

Hi

New to the forum so apologise if this is in the wrong place but I was hoping for some reassurance from MSC that the outbreak is under control and the ship no longer contaminated as we depart on her for a med cruise next Tuesday.

Hi peter. I hope you have received the information you requested from MSC.

If not, and you speak Italian, perhaps this might be of help:

contact for information about possible risks and the preventive service number Hygiene and Health 0586/223.577 public from 8 am to 13:30 from Monday to Saturday. In the afternoon hours or holidays you can still communicate with the doctor 'Hygiene and Public Health through the switchboard USL 6 of Livorno at 0586/223.111

from http://www.obiettivotre.com/2012/10/meningite-msc-orchestra-attivo-servizio-informazione-asl6/

With apology for the bad translation, -Salacia

Edited to add: Personally, I would discuss the matter with my doctor, giving the information provided by MSC earlier on this thread.

Very many thanks for that, sadly we do not speak Italian but will take your advice and call our family Doctor on Monday morning.

We are watching closely for any news of more cases of the meningitis on the ship and will feel very relieved if there aren't any before we fly to Valencia on Tuesday morning.

We have been so looking forward to this cruise:)

Archived