If you Cruise for your regualar vacation, do you cruise for your anniversary?

IGottaP

long story made short my wife and I, has resolved that cruising is the way to go for vacations. It has always been an awesome experience. We will be doing our 3rd cruise next yr may this time with a group of friends. But our up coming anniversary is in august we will be celebrating 3 years of marriage. My question is seeing how cruising is our new way of vacationing weather with friends or on our own, Will doing a cruise for our anniversary just seem a little to (for a lack of better words) "common & played out". or would it be better to do something different like fly somewhere out of the country to an all inclusive resort or something of the sort? and just in case you guys are wondering my wife and I are both 26 yrs of age.

i just looking for a little input from you cruise veterans and newbies alike

-IgottaP

We cruise on our anniversary every year. It's something to look forward to celebrating. Our next cruise will be our 8th (all with Carnival)

The first one was our honeymoon! Been hooked since then:)

It doesn't matter to us whether we are cruising with our friends or just the two of us, it's a good time either way.

You can make each cruise special and unique. If it's your anniversary cruise, you can spurlge on the spa or the steakhouse or whatever floats your boat.

For 6 years every vacation I took (2-3 per year) was to Walt Disney World (yes, I do love it). One year I decided to spend my birthday there - I booked a deluxe hotel and enjoyed a ton of room service and "drank around the World" because that's what I wanted to do for my birthday. It was the same destination but a very different vacation (much more relaxed) than my normal Disney vacation.

Do whatever is going to make you and your wife the happiest.

Do what you both want to do. Don't worry about something being 'common'.

DH works 24/7. Cruising is one of the few vacations we can take that he is not in constant contact with the office. We are able to travel at any time of the year. I cruise with Mom and Sis take a January/February birthday cruise. Our birthdays are in April. Our Anniversay is near the holidays and we celebrate with a cruise closer to November. We usually choose a time when the rates are the cheapest.

Many will use cruising to sample an area (ie Europe) then do land trips for a more in depth vacation.

long story made short my wife and I, has resolved that cruising is the way to go for vacations. It has always been an awesome experience. We will be doing our 3rd cruise next yr may this time with a group of friends. But our up coming anniversary is in august we will be celebrating 3 years of marriage. My question is seeing how cruising is our new way of vacationing weather with friends or on our own, Will doing a cruise for our anniversary just seem a little to (for a lack of better words) "common & played out". or would it be better to do something different like fly somewhere out of the country to an all inclusive resort or something of the sort? and just in case you guys are wondering my wife and I are both 26 yrs of age.

-IgottaP

Sounds a lot like us. We figured crusing is the best and cheapest way to vacation. We've been married for 4 years (also in August) and we've went cruising for our honeymoon, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd anniversaries. This year we decided to do something a little different, mainly because I couldnt take days off during that time because my manager was on maternity leave and I had to take her place. We ended up going to Siesta Key for a few days and had a blast.

We were DEF planinng to go on a cruise for our 5th Anniv. we wanted to do something big...but I couldnt wait that long so we decided we would do a birthday cruise in April too for my 29th bday! THEN it gave us awesome peace of mind this year knowing that we could cancel our vacation if needed due to hurricanes, etc within 24 hours, so we decided to not go on our anniversary one this year and just go on my bday :D Personally I dont thinks its "common or played out" at all...If I could, I would cruise once a month! ;) It's all about what makes you happy in the end...

-IgottaP

OK, I've got a funny story....several years ago we were headed to FL for a winter cruise. On the way to the airport my husband said, "I think we'll be on the ship for our anniversary". I thought about it a minute and realized he was right :o

My wife and I would both tell you that celebrating an important date is not that big a deal for us. Having said that, WE HAVE cruised for our anniversary.

Don't get me wrong I have gotten at least a card for our date but, to us, celebrating dates foe us just bacame no longer important

I'd say only you can answer that question. Everyone is different. If you want to change things up, there are a lot of AI's in the Caribbean that you can stay at for great rates. If you drink, sometimes they are as affordable as cruising although you do have to pay the air fare. But we did an AI last year after cruising the previous 2 years and found that after a few days we were a little bored. With cruising there is just so much more to do and see. But again, that's a personal preference.

Like some of the other posters said, there are plenty of ways to make an anniversary cruise "more" special than your normal ones.

You go where ever you want for your anniversary and have fun. This is between you and your spouse and what you enjoy as a couple. We tend to take cruises as family vacations with the kids since that is what they usually want to do for a vacation. For our anniversary DH & I tend to head out west by ourselves since that is where we spent our honeymoon (plus the kids have expressed no desire to go there).

I'd like to be able to cruise more than once a year...maybe someday that'll be a regular occurrence. We've cruised once for an anniversary (10th). But it will be 7 more years before our daughter is done with high school, so it's going to be mainly summer cruising until then. Ideally, I'd take a cruise after my year-end financial work is done (at my present job, busy time is late April to early June, so summer works well anyway) and again for our anniversary, holiday, or birthday.

Nearly every one of our cruises has been in conjunction with either our anniversary or a birthday celebration. On our next cruise, we will be celebrating my 60th birthday. It's a good thing the captain will be my "designated driver".:D

We usually go to Hawaii .... no we are not wealthy, but we are Hilton and Marriott Vacation Club owners and exchange our points/week and it's awesome! This year we had alot going on in January which is when you need to book it and unfortunately when I got around to it, there was no more availability. So, we did an exchange at the Beach on Hutchison's Island, FL ..... gorgeous btw .... we are here now. Last week we did the 6 night on the Freedom so we actually got the 2 weeks in we usually do over our anniversary. We had a great time on the cruise and it was wonderful to just drive from FLL to here and kick back for another week. Great 43rd Anniversary!! Not Hawaii, but works for us!! :)

Don't worry, while it's not uncommon to cruise in honor of an anniversary it's a great reason to take one. My wife and I have celebrated a number of anniversaries and birthdays afloat. On a couple of "milestone" occasions we've done repositioning cruises (Panama Canal transit and transatlantic) that were just fantastic.

Any excuse for a cruise! If it's a "biggie" (anniversary ending in 5 or 0, any birthday ending in 0) we use that as an excuse to spend more on a bigger-deal cruise - Alaska, Hawaii, Europe, etc. (we've utilized lots of frequent flyer miles!)

If spending more for the cruise itself (and/or airfare) is out of the question financially, upgrading to a better-than-normal excursion or two, eating in specialty dining, and getting gussied-up to have a special photo taken are all good special-occasion options on a more affordable cruise.

I wouldn't not cruise just for the sake of not cruising.

That said, for the past couple of years we've done some land vacations, because you just can't explore some places via cruise ship.

Our anniversary is in May. We usually only take one vacation each year, so we usually try to take it around the time of our anniversary (or atleast within a few weeks of it). Whether it is a cruise or not, and even with the kiddo its still special to me, beause I love to travel. We usually make it a big trip (cruise, AI in Mexico, beach in Florida, etc). Once DD starts school we will have to take Family vacation in the summer, so then I will have to figure out a different plan. :D

Any excuse for a cruise! If it's a "biggie" (anniversary ending in 5 or 0, any birthday ending in 0) we use that as an excuse to spend more on a bigger-deal cruise - Alaska, Hawaii, Europe, etc. (we've utilized lots of frequent flyer miles!)

If spending more for the cruise itself (and/or airfare) is out of the question financially, upgrading to a better-than-normal excursion or two, eating in specialty dining, and getting gussied-up to have a special photo taken are all good special-occasion options on a more affordable cruise.

I wouldn't not cruise just for the sake of not cruising.

That said, for the past couple of years we've done some land vacations, because you just can't explore some places via cruise ship.

I know what you mean about the biggie. DH's 30th birthday is coming up NEXT November and we already decided a year ago that we are going to Vegas. I of course have been trying to talk him into changing that to a cruise, but he is not buying into it. :(

-IgottaP

'My husband surprised me with our first cruise for our 25 th wedding anniversary and we have been cruising every May since then. We cruise in October as well, but this year we are cruising in Dec. cause we wanted to do the Breeze

Archived