New Deck Plan Room Categories

What's the story with Promenade deck cabins on Serenity?

Unlike Promenade deck cabins on Symphony, Serenity's windows are right at deck level. I have never passed one of those cabins and seen open drapes. Does this mean passerbys can look right into these cabins? If you have to keep the drapes closed for privacy, I'd call that a cabin with an obstructed view.

Abby

Like Symphony's, the windows are glazed for privacy, so during the day you can't see much detail inside the cabin unless the occupants have every light on. With the sheers drawn, which is probably what you see from the deck, it becomes even harder to see in since the sheers reflect back against the window.

I agree the offset gives Symphony's cabins a little bit more privacy, but being 6'2" I can pretty much see in either of them, or obstruct the view from either of them. This has always been the reason I'd prefer a Symphony cabin on deck 8 with more obstruction than a cabin on deck 7 (but I know I'm in the vast minority there!), and also the reason I've always booked Serenity cabins in category C on a guarantee.

Vince

For those of you who have not seen the inside of a Deck 7 Crystal Serenity Cabin these are what they look like.

After you click on the links and bring up the photos you can click on the photos to make them larger.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ax8USLVqJMo/UHqhma1prAI/AAAAAAAASsM/Hp3f2FUtKcM/s1600/DSC_1024.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Fw8wmGW-RXc/UHqhoeeObxI/AAAAAAAASsU/cvkVsJXlRgk/s1600/DSC_1026.jpg

Like some of the ones on the Symphony, these tend to be very popular for many cruisers who are looking at pricing value. They are also around 10% larger than similar accommodations on the Symphony. Just noting this so that those who have not seen them but are familiar with the Symphony have some perspective on the size.

Most people we know who want are looking for views will just walk the few steps from their cabin to the promenade deck. The promenade deck on the Serenity is wider than the Symphony more easily accommodating walkers/runner along with those who just want to stand around and enjoy the views.

Keith

What's the story with Promenade deck cabins on Serenity?

Unlike Promenade deck cabins on Symphony, Serenity's windows are right at deck level. I have never passed one of those cabins and seen open drapes. Does this mean passerbys can look right into these cabins? If you have to keep the drapes closed for privacy, I'd call that a cabin with an obstructed view.

Abby

Slight OT but Abby, did you get squared away with rides and guides in Auckland?

Slight OT but Abby, did you get squared away with rides and guides in Auckland?

Hi

Yes, I think we're set. Thanks for asking.

We'll be met at the Auckland airport, and go on a 3-4 hour sightseeing tour. Then we'll head to the dock and, hopefully, lunch on board. It will be the end of so much traveling, and will, as always, feel like coming home. No matter where in the world we meet the ship, it always feels as if we're finally home.

After lots of comparisons, we're going with a different company than the one you recommended. Hope we won't be disappointed. We can compare notes once on board. Look forward to meeting, and can't believe how close December is getting. Your family must be wild with excitement. Enjoy!

Hope you'll use your two lead in cruises to make sure everything is ship shape!

Abby

• 9 months later...

and will be sailing on the Serenity again in December, I am wondering why the change of classification of Serenity's C category staterooms. I do not recall any limited view rooms on Serenity at all(I was in 7036),but perhaps my memory is going. Are the changes, therefore,mostly based on location?

When it comes to deck 7 Sunbubble has it right. It mostly was based on the location of the rooms although there are some rooms that were priced lower where you have things like the crew life rafts that do not block you view but can be seen from the room. I don't think that is a big deal though in terms of not being a distraction.

Keith

On deck 8, most of the former E rooms will be E1 or E2. However, the following deck 8 E rooms will be promoted to C: 8076, 8077, 8088, 8089, 8100, 8101. That identifies those as being good choices until the change.

Delighted to say I've snagged one of these for our Sydney-Bali trip in February 2014 - I guess I can say we got a free upgrade from E to C (well sort of...)

Shame it's coming to an end but it was handy bit of advice from our TA when we requested a "Guarantee" and they pointed out it was a good move to grab one of these cabins

I would not worry about the view from deck 7. What's nice about deck 7 is that you just go out your room, walk to one of the exits and you are right on the promenade deck to enjoy beautiful views. That is what many people on deck 7 do.

Keith

I am considering upgrading from C3 to C2, in order to get closer to midship.

Are there any downsides to the C2 cabins (other than the slightly obstructed views)?

Some on the port side seem to be over The Bistro. Those on starboard are over the boutique. Any noise issues?

7070 and 7071 mention a Third Berth - how does this affect the layout? [We had a cabin once with an upper berth that really obstructed access to the left side of the queen bed -- want to avoid that head-cracking issue...]

Third berths on Crystal are couches which pull out into single beds, no overhead bunks.

I have stayed in most of the mid ship 7th floor cabins on Symphony and never heard a sound, much quieter than other lines where you can hear drawers being closed, etc.

Enjoy your cruise.

I am considering upgrading from C3 to C2, in order to get closer to midship.

Are there any downsides to the C2 cabins (other than the slightly obstructed views)?

Some on the port side seem to be over The Bistro. Those on starboard are over the boutique. Any noise issues?

7070 and 7071 mention a Third Berth - how does this affect the layout? [We had a cabin once with an upper berth that really obstructed access to the left side of the queen bed -- want to avoid that head-cracking issue...]

No downside. Mid-Ship is always good in my opinion. Easier to get back and forth and less likely to feel rough seas.

Only difference with the third berth is that the sofa open up into a bed. No upper berth to worry about.

Keith

Grade this as a naive question, but I'm puzzled by one feature of the new categories. Charging more for unobstructed view and mid-ship locations is understandable, as well as charging less for forward cabins. What I don't understand is why cabins in the aft section aren't also cheaper. Ships pitch and roll from their centers of gravity, so shouldn't aft cabins, which move just as much (and uncomfortably) as those forward, be priced the same as the latter?

Most people feel that aft cabins pitch less than forward ones.

I've heard your physics-based approach before, but remember that ships aren't symmetric around that axis -- the engines are down low at the back and the stern of the ship is wider than the bow. Also the forward motion of the ship may affect the interaction with the waves.

So in practice people seem to feel less movement in the aft cabins.

I guess this is one of those cases that Yogi was talking about:

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. But in practice, they're different."

Grade this as a naive question, but I'm puzzled by one feature of the new categories. Charging more for unobstructed view and mid-ship locations is understandable, as well as charging less for forward cabins. What I don't understand is why cabins in the aft section aren't also cheaper. Ships pitch and roll from their centers of gravity, so shouldn't aft cabins, which move just as much (and uncomfortably) as those forward, be priced the same as the latter?

You will feel the seas just a little more in the aft than say the middle but far less than being forward. Aft has other advantages such as those nice decks that you can easily get to on the aft section of the various decks which are almost like being on a private yacht.

Keith

You will feel the seas just a little more in the aft than say the middle but far less than being forward. Aft has other advantages such as those nice decks that you can easily get to on the aft section of the various decks which are almost like being on a private yacht.

Keith

I love the proximity to my beloved paddle tennis court(or courts on the Serenity), to the Lido Café, and to the Spa/Salon(I would be lying if I said being near the gym was a priority for me even though it should be-aak!) LOL The most noise I ever heard was when I was in 7002 on the Symphony-never again. Late night shows from the galaxy lounge made sleep difficult on many nights. And I think I felt every wave on V0205(it did not help that we were sailing between or alongside 2 cyclones from Fiji to Sydney!)An E guarantee is quite risky in terms of where you may end up.

Most people feel that aft cabins pitch less than forward ones.

I've heard your physics-based approach before, but remember that ships aren't symmetric around that axis -- the engines are down low at the back and the stern of the ship is wider than the bow. Also the forward motion of the ship may affect the interaction with the waves.

So in practice people seem to feel less movement in the aft cabins.

I guess this is one of those cases that Yogi was talking about:

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. But in practice, they're different."

Most people seem to agree with your observation. I've tried Googling the question without finding a more definitive explanation.

And, thanks for Yogi's quote. So true.

An E guarantee is quite risky in terms of where you may end up.

Any Guarantee introduces an element of risk - and of opportunity

From June 2014 an E2 on Symphony means you'll be on deck 8, if its an E Guarantee than I guess you could be upgraded to E1 or higher and be located on the other decks, but even E1 is not going to put you as far forward as 7002 which is C2. If you want to take a low cost fare then locking in a specific E2 suite means you're midship on deck 8 albeit with an obstructed view

Interesting challenge

But I subscribe to the theory there really is no bad suite if you are onboard Crystal and cruising

As I think that Roy wrote, on Symphony the E cabins can really vary including some on 8 which are almost totally obstructed by a lifeboat. On the other hand the C cabins on Serenity only take up a portion of the deck and I would think that there is not much difference between them and that it would be unlikely to draw a really bad one.

As I think that Roy wrote, on Symphony the E cabins can really vary including some on 8 which are almost totally obstructed by a lifeboat.

If we are talking pre June 2014 then it's a different situation - as has been pointed out before there are E cabins that will become C2 post June - they could be viewed as bargains until then.

There certainly are totally and partially obstructed E cabins, that's a fact of life on Symphony due to its design - and the rates reflect that. Post June 2014 the cabin classes reflect the views or lack of them, and there are multiple sub categories within E and C categories

Maybe we just need to recognise that the change reflects pricing cabins more granularly based on their attributes - it's hardly unusual in today's world