Guadaloupe Research

OC PAT

After much researching, we feel a ship's tour is in order. Since this is a new island for us we have no experience with the few private tours I could locate. French is the langage of the land and most private tours did not appear to be English speaking. It seems the highlights of the island include spice market, waterfalls, gardens, banana plantations, rum distilleries, scenic overlooks, some nice beaches and an interesting cemetery. It is a creole culture that does not like France. So my french speaking folks should assure the islanders that you are not from France. They are not service orientated in their shops, however, a big smile with a greeting will get you far and go ahead a try the little bit of French that you know. Rum, crafts, unique spices and French imports are the items to shop for. My thoughts are to book early for a tour since most folks will be doing the same since it is a new island. We are leaning toward the all day tour that explores BasseTerre. It's the most expensive $129.00 per person. I do not know why I bother to research these things because I always end up with the most expensive choice. The do provide a lunch in the gardens on this tour.

We will be at this port 1/23/13. So those of you going please report back and tell us your opinion on this island. The thing about not liking France came from sereral different reviews. I do not have the same opinion and apolgies to my French friends.

That pretty much sums up my feelings also. Still trying to find out information on the golf course as Mr Ski and a friend would like to go play. Anyone have an email address for the golf course or any reviews/advice on the golf course?

Thanks.

Skiiergirl, Eliot and I are probably going to go over to the St. Anne area the first week. If Mr. Ski is playing golf, you are welcome to come along. We will probably beach a little and explore the markets, etc.

Thx....just might do that, depends on how well I am walking by then.

• 3 weeks later...
We will be at this port 1/23/13. So those of you going please report back and tell us your opinion on this island. The thing about not liking France came from sereral different reviews. I do not have the same opinion and apolgies to my French friends.

We were there about three years ago on an Azamara Cruise. We hadn't booked a tour and when my wife looked over the side of the ship, she decided we should stay on board. From what we heard from our fellow passengers, she was right.

We did not hear one good thing about the place and at a later Meet & Greet meeting everyone was asking the ship's officers why they even bothered stopping there.

Those who did get off to explore said they quickly got back on ship because it was dirty and they felt very unsafe. One passenger even witnessed a purse snatching. Others talked about dog excrement on the streets and a couple insisted it was not exclusively dog feces.

They said it did not feel friendly and the few shops they visited were nothing to speak of.

Now, perhaps in the three years since our visit they have got their act together and cleaned up the place. Just reporting here what we know.

Well, except TopCop and his wife never actually got off the ship, did they? And that was three years ago.

I'm researching this port now for a trip in Jan 2013, and finding Trip Advisor and Lonely Planet much more useful as information sources. It's probably true Guadaloupe is not a sophisticated cruise ship destination at this time. But I don't travel to see only places that offer a Senor Frogs and cheap Chanel knock-off vendors. At a guess, the people of Guadaloupe are really trying hard, because they know the prosperity the cruise ship business can bring them. I figure I'll try to meet them halfway and that will probably work fine. I can step around a little dog poo in return for learning something about how people live on a small island far away from the Mother Country.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived