Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
kcbryan

1st time in St Kitts - Zip Line/Car Rental question

Here is what a perfect day would be for us in St. Kitts. Does anyone see a problem with this?

(1) Book a car rental in advance.

(2) Book a zip line in advance, or just show up the day of. I have read that somehow Carnival has locked down the zip line unless you go thorugh the ship. Not sure how that is possible unless they own the zip line company as well.

(3) Drive around the island seeing the sights at our leisure.

(4) Find a beach and stay as long as we like depending upon what else we find to do.

(5) Drop the car off with about an hour to spare.

We did this on St. Thomas (minus the zip line) and had a great day. We much prefer to be on our own as opposed to being loaded in a van and seeing the sights on someone else's schedule. The zip line is pretty important to my 8 yr old, so if we can't do it on our own we may have to find a tour.

Thanks for any advice.

1. There is Avis,Hertz,Thrifty as big name rental agencys & several local agencies, you will need a local license. 2. That might work if say you are staying on the island. 3,4 & 5 sound great. The island is small & the main road is not too bad but drive with caution.

Hi

We found last year that it was only possible to book the zip line through the ship. As I recall there was only one zip line company and I think they were locked in with cruise lines other than Carnival. It's probably worth having a look at the zip line website

Having said that my husband and son had a great time and we understand that the excursion sold out very quickly. We booked before we left home but met some people who tried to book on the ship but weren't able to do so

I did the Sky Safari Zipline in St. Kitts. Yes, it must be booked thru the ship. It also sold out on my cruise so I wouldn't wait. Great fun!!

Cruise2114.jpg?t=1296059084

(2) Book a zip line in advance, or just show up the day of. I have read that somehow Carnival has locked down the zip line unless you go thorugh the ship. Not sure how that is possible unless they own the zip line company as well.

Various ship cruise lines set up an agreement with excursion companies that they will not book passengers independently. Seems unfair, but most of them do it. The cruise lines want people to book thru the ship, for greater revenue.

You might be able to claim that you are on a land-based vacation. Be prepared with the name of a hotel you are staying at.

We rented a car through Avis last year, it was a very strange office. There was a man in his office, sort of the "Lord" the staff were very unfriendly which is not at all like the Islands. Lucky for us we videoed the "walk around" the car as they tried to blame us for the scratches. I would not rent from Avis on this Island. We rented 10 cars total on that trip and two different times we were blamed for damage, it's a scam. We had it all on video and when we showed them they backed down very quick!

I have rented from Avis on St Kitts & I have not had any problems. Avis,Hertz & Thrifty are franchised operations on St Kitts. Could the issue be that it is a 1 day rental?

actually it is about $24 for 90 days, a good source of revenue for the gov't.

Thanks all for the info.

It sounds like for 1 day that it might not be worth renting a car. I talked to my insurance agent, and my converage would not work there since it is not a US territory. By the time you add in the car, insurance, and all of the other fees, it sounds like the hassle and cost may not be worth the freedom. We might just try the taxis.

Thanks again.

Our CC covers the insurance, have you looked into that?

Ours used to, but then they changed things. We changed to a different card to get Subaru dollars. More bang for the buck in the long run. Good thought though.

Thanks

We just returned from our anuual on island vacation. The cost for a 1 day rental can be expensive. The rental rate maybe anywhere from $ 40 & up depending on the vehicle, then add your required local license fee of about $25, 17% VAT tax, $1.50 per day environmental levy plus the optional liability insurance of $5 per day/collision insurance of $10 per day & the fuel. It would be easier to hire a local taxi/tour operator for any trips. Many on island travelers that do rent, have developed a relationship with a local operator to get the best daily rental rate.