• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Left behind on RCCI Shore Excursion

My parents are currently on the Jewel of the Seas in the Baltics...and everything was going well until yesterday...St.Petersburg-Russia.

Unless you have a Russian Visa you can only leave the ship if you have a Shore Excursion booked..with a recognised company or RCCI..for security reasons.

While in the city...they were left behind because two STRANGERS were able to take their place on their tour bus.The lady in charge only did a head count!!!! and off went the bus.

So there were my parents (69 & 75) left stranded in St.Petersburg.

Eventually, thankfully, they were able to find another tour bus that was going back to the port and were able to get a ride with that one.

So much for security eh.The strangers could have been anyone.:eek:

I thought the reasoning behind booking RCCI's shore Excursions was to ensure people got back to the ship on time and safely.

My mum had to fill in a written report which will be sent off to Miami...and what will they do about it....hey nothing I expect.

I am just so happy that my parents are quite fit people and didnt panic...and were able by themselves to get out of what could have been a dangerous situation.

But my parents will never do a RCCI Shore Excursion again...and with another cruise booked for July they and family members, will certainly be "winging it".

I am telling you about this as a "heads up" not as a cry for compensation.

Liz

Your parents were very lucky... How scary it must have been for them initially... Luckily they didn't panic and seems like they stayed calm... could have been alot worse, their lucky they made it back to the ship... Hope they enjoy the remainder of their cruise...They'll have something to really talk about when returning!

Wow! You know these cruise lines need to take more responsilbity for the excursions. They are more expensive than private tours - I wonder where the extra money is going????? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm surprised we don't hear more of these stories.

They were in a big metropolitan area, thank goodness......but when you're off somewhere in some remote area ...........do you ever wonder ???????????????????????????????????

Thanks everyone:D Hey my first reply went to cyberspace but will try again.

The "funny" thing is...this cruise was to make up for the accident my mum had while on the Brilliance last October...she fell on wet marble floor in Windjammer..few minutes after boarding...and spent a lot of her 12 night cruise sitting around with her leg up...and visiting the medical centre.This cruise was to restore her faith in RCCI....(and not a freebie incase people get the wrong idea).

I bet they will be laughing about it by the time they get home at the weekend.....hey do you think maybe they should go back to Cunard instead.....oh no...forgot...I booked them on the Splendour in July....they are introducing my brother and family to cruising...ah maybe thats why mum doesnt want me to tell my brother what happened to them!!!!

Mean old RCCI never even offered them a drink to calm their nerves when they eventually got back on the ship.:(

Och well...everytime mum wears her lovely white russian fur hat, she will remember her day in St.Petersburg.:D

Celtic...no they were not late to the bus...the bus infact left early as the lady in charge "thought" she had all her passengers.

Liz

Oh my god Liz I am glad they are OK it must have been quite a stressful time for them. I agree mean mean mean RC not even giving a large brandy to calm their nerves.

I hope they enjoy the rest of the cruise.

Take care

Jo

Well I would think twice though about not booking anymore RCI excursions. If this had happened on a non RCI, and it certainly could, the ship could have left without them and they would have been up the creek.

celtic

Celtic

They never go far when in port...on all their cruises and ports they have been to, they have never booked a shore excursion before...it was only because it is the only way you are allowed off the ship in Russia.

They normally enjoy a wee bit of shopping and back to the ship for their food and relaxation....never off the ship for more than couple of hours....and my mum doesnt "do" late...she often tells my stepdad things are earlier than actually planned:D

Liz

Scary :eek:! The people on the excursion should at least have had some identifying stickers, or something - I wonder what else can be done so this doesn't happen again (and you wonder where the heck the other people came from, and where they were supposed to be going???) However, I wouldn't want to have to whip my i.d. out every five minutes while on an excursion, either... Glad they were safe and they definitely should have gotten a couple of nice cocktails or a goodie basket (with wine;) ) from RCI!

Thanks Jo and Terri:D

What gets me is the Russian "security"issue...that doesnt allow people off the ship ..unless they have a booking with a few certain companies and then lo and behold what happens.....yip...they have a lapse in their security.:(

Och well they have seen the Baltics now....only one more port before home.Think they might stick to the Med from now on...:D

Oh gawd ...I need a cruise:D

Liz

Well I would think twice though about not booking anymore RCI excursions. If this had happened on a non RCI, and it certainly could, the ship could have left without them and they would have been up the creek.

celtic

I seriously doubt that RCI would have waited. The tour bus returned. The ship would have just thought that they missed the bus back to the ship and said "oh well".

But because it was a RCI excursion and the excursion people screwed up, I think that RCI would be responsible. If they missed the bus because they were dawdling, then that might be another story. According to Liz, the bus left early.

So if they were actually left behind, I think RCI would have the responsibility of getting them to the next port.

celtic

But because it was a RCI excursion and the excursion people screwed up, I think that RCI would be responsible. If they missed the bus because they were dawdling, then that might be another story. According to Liz, the bus left early.

So if they were actually left behind, I think RCI would have the responsibility of getting them to the next port.

celtic

can you imagine THAT call to customer service??? :eek:

Glad your parents are okay. Thanks for the heads up - I'm going to be sure and take the emergency phone number with me for RCI/agent whenever I get off the ship from now on. If I remember correctly, it is listed on the port of call map.

An incident report was written up when mum and Ray returned to the ship...thankfully for them it is a two day stay in St.Petersburg....so they didnt miss the ship.

A copy of the report will be given to mum on Thursday night...they are back in Harwich early Friday...so I will let you know what it states.

The report also goes to Miami....although any response to the report will be dealt with through the UK office!!!...and I tell you something...if you over the pond think customer service is bad at all at your end of the world....boy you havent had to deal with the UK office.

But hey...mum isnt looking for any compensation...an apology would be nice though...and an assurance that they are taking the matter very seriously would suffice.

Liz

I'm glad your parents were able to find another way back to the ship.

I can't imagine that these strangers would be able to get onboard the ship ... unless they were actually ship passengers, and they thought your parent's bus was theirs.

I'm glad it worked out and thanks for the heads up.

P.S. - On our honeymoon, a Princess tour guide in Athens was sooo convinced she was going to keep schedule she was literally running us all through the Acropolis. She refused to wait for people still stuck in the bathrooms or at the "backpack check area".

No tip for her! :D

I think that it would be a good idea if, when getting back on the bus or other transportation they asked at least to see your Sail n Sign Card. Like getting back on the ship-you show your card (or put it in the machine)..if you're sharing a tour with another line, the tour director could then verify how many RCI passengers vs Carnival vs whatever line. I think it might help cut down on instances of this. Would definitely be interested to see if the "interlopers" were cruise passengers on the same ship, or just "off the street".

JMHO-YMMV

I haven't taken an RCI shore excursion for a long time. However, when I did we were given stickers to wear with the RCI logo and the number of our tour. And I remeber seeing people on RCI shore excursions with these stickers. Were they given stickers, or has RCI done away with this?

Archived