Cruise Critic Community
SharkCruiser24

Tropical Storm Sandy

I have been looking forward to our cruise to the Bahamas for so long and now a tropical storm is coming to dampen our excitement :( For those who have cruised during a lots of rain or a tropical system whats it like? I rarely get sea sick, but I am definitely thinking about bonnie for me and my fiance. He's never even been on a cruise, I am hopeful for a positive experience despite the all rain. I am still excited though, but was looking forward to getting a tan.

ships can move faster than hurricanes. you will never find yourself in one. they will sail around them; your cruise, the one before yours, as well as after, can be extended or shortened, or you may find yourself sailing or debarking from a separate port.

keep close in touch with carnival.

let them worry about the ship and storm, and you just go on your adventure.

Weather service is starting to provide more information on the system. Nassau for sure will be impacted Friday/Saturday, doubt their port will be open to cruise ships. If the track changes West between now and Friday, would not be surprised to see the Port of Miami impacted.

Remember, such a storm could have tropical storm winds extend out several hundred miles.

...HIGH RISK OF RIP CURRENTS ATLANTIC BEACHES...

...TROPICAL STORM SANDY MAY AFFECT SOUTH FLORIDA LATE THIS WEEK...

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR SOUTH FLORIDA.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT

RIP CURRENTS: NORTHEAST WINDS OF 20 TO 25 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS

ALONG THE ATLANTIC COAST WITH FAVORABLE LOW TIDES WILL RESULT IN A

HIGH RISK OF RIP CURRENTS AT THE BEACHES.

WIND: A TIGHTENING SURFACE PRESSURE GRADIENT ACROSS THE AREA WILL

PRODUCE NORTHEAST WINDS AT 20-25 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS POSSIBLE,

MAINLY ACROSS THE ATLANTIC WATERS.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY

THE CURRENT FORECAST FOR TROPICAL STORM SANDY WILL BE A MOVEMENT TO

THE NORTH NORTHEAST OVER THE CARIBBEAN SEA. THE CURRENT FORECAST

TAKES SANDY ON A COURSE OVER EASTERN CUBA AND THE CENTRAL BAHAMAS.

AT THIS TIME, THE EXACT TRACK AND INTENSITY IS UNCERTAIN BUT THIS

COULD LEAD TO POTENTIAL LOCAL WEATHER IMPACTS LATE THIS WEEK,

ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE LOCAL ATLANTIC WATERS AND ALONG THE ATLANTIC

COAST. SOME POSSIBLE IMPACTS, NOTING THE HIGH DEGREE OF UNCERTAINTY,

MAY BE STRONG WINDS, HIGH SEAS, MAJOR BEACH EROSION ALONG THE

ATLANTIC COAST, AND POSSIBLE LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL OVER THE EAST

COAST METROPOLITAN AREAS. STAY TUNED TO THE LATEST FORECAST UPDATES

OVER THE COMING DAYS.

REGARDLESS OF THE EXACT TRACK OF SANDY, THE RIP CURRENT

RISK WILL BE HIGH THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF THE WEEK AT THE ATLANTIC

BEACHES AS THE WINDS STEADILY INCREASE. STRONG AND DANGEROUS RIP

CURRENTS ARE A CERTAINTY.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION WILL NOT BE NEEDED.

FOR MORE INFORMATION...VISIT THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MIAMI

WEBSITE AT http://WWW.WEATHER.GOV/MIAMI.

Not true. We were in Tropical Storm Ida a few years back. I knew something was wrong when I went to lay on deck at 7 am and all of the chairs were bungie up. Next thing I saw was a huge wave. We were going to Puerto Rico on this trip. They canceled going into puerto rico. Everyone on the ship got sick and the dancers couldn't dance. It brought excitement to our cruise. That was the only time I got seasick. But I would do it again. It was a great story..

We're leaving out of POM on Saturday with a flight in the day before, I'm eagerly watching these boards along with the National Weather Service. It's my vacation and we'll enjoy the trip no matter what.

BUT PLEASE SANDY, GO AWAY!!!

The main thing is to get on the ship and leave port. If they shut the port down, it's a fiasco. Here's a good blog to follow for Tropical Storms.

http://www.wunderground.com/

Clck on Blogs

Then Select "Jeff Masters"

Current Blog is here:

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2270&theprefset=BLOGCOMMENTS&theprefvalue=200

Edited by Mr305

The 11a advisory has Sandy well clear of S Florida and the Bahamas by 8a Saturday, I'd doubt that a Saturday afternoon departure would be impacted unless the morning arrival is somehow delayed. We're expecting some wind and perhaps a little rain late week here in S Florida, possible rough surf and beach erosion, that's typical and nothing too worrisome, that's just the price we pay for living in paradise! :rolleyes:

144533W5_NL_sm.gif

I am going on the Liberty eastern caribbean. Have a friend on liberty now and they are in Belize... they do not expect ANY delays to return.

My cruise is eastern carib. to HMC > Saint Thomas > Puerto Rico > Grand Turk

The center of Sandy goes through Bahamas (west of HMC) by 8 am Friday...

What are the odds we make it to HMC on Sunday???

Edited by mikeysed

We were on the Miracle last week (NYC to Bahamas) and Hurricane Raphael gave us some high winds and a very bumpy ride and he was 300 miles away :eek: 2 out of the 6 of us couldn't eat much for the 2 day trip down to the Bahamas but it was worth it in the end! They might change your itinerary or not...don't worry, it'll all work out!

I am leaving nov 5th out of jacksonville fla. hope everything has cleared up by then. we are doing a 5 day

This hazardous weather outlook is for the florida keys and adjacent coastal waters.

.day one...tonight

a small craft advisory remains in effect for all keys coastal waters due to sustained northeast to east surface winds of 20 to 25 knots...with gusts near 30 knots.

.days two through seven...wednesday through monday

a small craft advisory will be required for all keys coastal waters wednesday through thursday due to sustained northeast to east surface winds near 25 knots...with gusts near 30 knots.

Tropical cyclone sandy is projected to move to the north across the central bahamas thursday night and friday. Sustained tropical storm force winds of 39 to 60 mph are possible on the florida straits offshore of the upper keys thursday night and friday. If the wind field associated with tropical cyclone sandy expands farther to the west...a tropical storm watch could be required for the middle and

upper keys as early as tonight. At the very least...tropical storm force wind gusts of 40 to 50 mph are likely in the middle and upper keys thursday night and friday. Tropical storm force wind gusts near 40 mph are possible in the lower keys thursday night.

A small craft advisory will likely be required for all keys coastal waters friday night through saturday night. A small craft advisory may be required for all keys coastal waters sunday.

No hazardous weather is expected at this time sunday night and monday.

I hope Sandy does not delay the Conquests return from drydock in the Bahamas to New Orleans. At least it looks like Sandy is stearing clear of the Gulf of Mexico. Even if I were to cruise around the gulf all week with no ports I'd be happy. Just let the ship return safely!

I hope Sandy does not delay the Conquests return from drydock in the Bahamas to New Orleans. At least it looks like Sandy is stearing clear of the Gulf of Mexico. Even if I were to cruise around the gulf all week with no ports I'd be happy. Just let the ship return safely!

Yikes! I hadn't thought about that.

I was on the Valor on the last week of August when hurricane Issac was moving towards Florida. They closed the port of Miami on the day of embarkation (was not notified until the evening before) and said they could open the port the next day (2pm) pending good weather conditions to allow the ship to get into the port. The next day they did not open the port until close to 7pm. By the time the ship docked and they got everyone off and cleaned the ship, they did not open the processing centre until close to 11pm. I knew people who did not get on board until 1:30am. We did the mustard at around 2am. In total we lost 2-days out of 6 and to make things worst they cancelled the two ports of calls (due to high tides) and did not tell us until 9pm on sea day and substituted two different ports. Hopefully you will not encounter this since the Valor cruise was one cruise that was forgettable.

ships can move faster than hurricanes. you will never find yourself in one. they will sail around them; your cruise, the one before yours, as well as after, can be extended or shortened, or you may find yourself sailing or debarking from a separate port.

Uh, no, most cruise ships cannot always move faster than hurricanes!

Their affect can extend hundreds of miles, depending on their strength.

QE2 once got hit by an almost 100 foot rogue wave, caused by a hurricane hundreds of miles away. QE2 took it in stride on her bow. An ordinary cruise ship might have suffered severe damage, injuries, even deaths.

Not trying to scare anyone, and I can assure you that cruise lines will try to avoid them. However, do not think a cruise ship will out run one, or the affects of the hurricane might not have far reaching affects many, many miles away. It all depends on the strength.

Don't sweat it, the captain and cruise line have their weather charts, but that does not mean all will be smooth sailing either.

It all depends upon what you're dealing with weather-wise. Again, don't sweat it, but do not expect that you might not experience affects from it either.

Uh, no, most cruise ships cannot always move faster than hurricanes!

Their affect can extend hundreds of miles, depending on their strength.

QE2 once got hit by an almost 100 foot rogue wave, caused by a hurricane hundreds of miles away. QE2 took it in stride on her bow. An ordinary cruise ship might have suffered severe damage, injuries, even deaths.

Not trying to scare anyone, and I can assure you that cruise lines will try to avoid them. However, do not think a cruise ship will out run one, or the affects of the hurricane might not have far reaching affects many, many miles away. It all depends on the strength.

Don't sweat it, the captain and cruise line have their weather charts, but that does not mean all will be smooth sailing either.

It all depends upon what you're dealing with weather-wise. Again, don't sweat it, but do not expect that you might not experience affects from it either.

Thank you all for your encouraging responses. I bought some bonnie just in case. I am sure we will make the best of the rough seas, and as always have a blast!

My sister and I are sailing out on the Miracle on Monday. If the storm comes up the coast, it would be in the NY area on Monday with high winds, heavy rains and possible flooding.

Keeping everything crossed that it goes out to sea instead. I have been waiting for this cruise since January!!

I am leaving nov 5th out of jacksonville fla. hope everything has cleared up by then. we are doing a 5 day

we're on the same cruise out of Jacksonville - praying for clear skies! :) We were on a cruise during a tropical storm last year - we couldn't go to Grand Cayman - but other than one night of high waves and a day of high winds, we had a great time. :)

we're on the same cruise out of Jacksonville - praying for clear skies! :) We were on a cruise during a tropical storm last year - we couldn't go to Grand Cayman - but other than one night of high waves and a day of high winds, we had a great time. :)

You'll be fine, we leave on the Sensation on Nov 1. Jax news isn't worried about it too much, it will bring some onshore winds and 10-15 ft waves Fri, but I wouldn't be beach swimming, the rip currents will be bad, they even say the weather in Jax Saturday for the FL/GA game is going to be beautiful. They strongly feel its going out to sea.

A cool front is coming in here Sun though, so Mon & Tues highs will be only 73ish, then warm back up later in the week. Fingers crossed!

Edited by keystonemama

I am going on a 3-day cruise leaving Thursday heading to Nassau and Castaway Beach. Needless to say, I don't think those ports are happening. Has anyone cruise with Disney and have an idea what they do? This is my first cruise experience and dump a lot of money on the top level of the ship, just to try. Wondering if my money will be flushed with the seas. Any advice?

Just spoke with our daughter who works on the Pride out of Baltimore. They were supposed to have the Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Freeport run this week. Grand Turk will be as scheduled tomorrow, sea day on Thursday and Port Canaveral on Friday. She did say they were already rocking and rolling from rough seas. Can't imagine what that trip back to Baltimore will be like on Friday night and Saturday.:eek:

The 11pm advisory has wind speed up to 60mph now, going through Bahamas on Thursday and Friday. It has to cross Cuba first so it should weaken some.

I'm scheduled to go on the NCL Sky Friday-Monday

Looks like the storm will be in Bahama's on Friday

Anyway they cancel??

Boy I sure hope so.

Edited by snook789