Cruise Critic Community
SharkCruiser24

Tropical Storm Sandy

Boy - just spoke with Disney Cruise line. They have no alternative plans on a 3-day cruise. That sucks. Basically, they will take us out to sea regardless if they can make it to the Bahamas or any other port. That is the worst on a 3 night-2 day itinerary. So unhappy I dumped so much money on something that will be worthless. Is that typical?:mad:

Edited by OSELMER

I'm scheduled to go on the NCL Sky Friday-Monday

Looks like the storm will be in Bahama's on Friday

Anyway they cancel??

Boy I sure hope so.

Doubtfully the will cancell all together, you may end up going somewhere else though.

I have family and close friends going on the Destiny tomorrow ....my Dad's 1st cruise at 82...now I am worried about the weather...any news on what will Carnival due...as far as the 2 ports...thanks...

Boy - just spoke with Disney Cruise line. They have no alternative plans on a 3-day cruise. That sucks. Basically, they will take us out to sea regardless if they can make it to the Bahamas or any other port. That is the worst on a 3 night-2 day itinerary. So unhappy I dumped so much money on something that will be worthless. Is that typical?:mad:

Sad to say it is if they have nowhere to go in that short time. Hurricanes don't happen all that often. I don't know if travel insurance would cover something like this?

I just called Carnival and my 3 day Bahamas cruise out of Miami this weekend has not announced an itinerary change as of yet. I asked whether there is a protocol of just heading to Key West and they told me that it's generally up to the captain to decide. Fingers crossed the storm veers east, because I could have just driven to the keys. But I havent done that in years.

SharkCruiser, I'm on the same cruise this weekend. Have a few questions for you or anyone else that may know:

1. Does Carnival have anywhere on their website where they would provide information on itinerary changes, etc? I couldn't find anything. Would think that they would avoid a bunch of calls if they provided this information.

2. What is the best way to determine if the ship is even going to make it back to port as scheduled? Depending on the path that Sandy eventually takes, coming back into Miami on Friday morning might not be feasible for the Imagination.

Thanks,

Jason

I think the Destiny will make it out of port tomorrow and given she heads South to Key West/Cozumel, don't see a problem with that. However, given that your dad is much older, I would tell him to prepare for rough seas. One of the last weather reports I read had 20+ footers for the Florida Straits, so it's definitely going to be a rocking ride at least for Thursday's departure and on his way to Key West.

Sad to say it is if they have nowhere to go in that short time. Hurricanes don't happen all that often. I don't know if travel insurance would cover something like this?

Larry

No. If the cruise leaves, even if it skips ports, your insurance has nothing to pay you for. It's just a risk you take if you cruise during hurricane season.

Thanks Collier Cruiser!

Lets me know what changes are on my cruise

I'm in Naples, you?

Yes, I'm also in Naples. Following friends of ours (also from Naples) on Majesty of the Seas.

Note that marinetraffic.com is another way to observe ship deviations from the intended route.

From the Carnival Website:

HURRICANE SANDY UPDATE – 1:00 PM (EDT)

We are closely monitoring the forecasted path of Hurricane Sandy in the Caribbean and keeping in close contact with port officials. As always, the safety of our guests is our number one concern and our ships will maintain a safe distance from the storm at all times.

If you have not done so already, we strongly suggest guests complete their online check-in as soon as possible. Please ensure to provide your email, as well as sign up for text alerts for updates on any changes to your cruise.

10/25/12 AND 10/26/12 DEPARTURES:

CARNIVAL DESTINY, CARNIVAL SENSATION and CARNIVAL IMAGINATION

At this time, no changes have been made and our itinerary remains as scheduled. We're keeping our fingers crossed the weather will not impact our plans.

At the moment, there are no changes expected for any other sailings departing this weekend. In the event we need to make a deviation to a future itinerary, we will update our guests.

Please continue to monitor this page for updates. Next update at 7:00PM.

------------

Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Thanks to all that responded thus far.

Jason

No. If the cruise leaves, even if it skips ports, your insurance has nothing to pay you for. It's just a risk you take if you cruise during hurricane season.

Personally I don't care what ports we go to, that is rarely a part of what cruise I book. And... I think it's even in the contract about missing ports.

Just wondering for the person posting the question if travel insurance would let you cancell.

We're booked to leave on the Fantasy Saturday 11/27 out of Charleston. Based on the storm's projected path either near the coastline or even turning more easterly on Saturday, it would seem that the Fantasy returning to Charleston by Saturday morning is doubtful unless some scheduling changes are made. Even if she does dock on time Saturday morning, it seems even more doubtful that we will be able to depart Saturday afternoon on the usual southeasterly course to Grand Turk. That would put us right in the middle of the storm. My guess is they'll delay departure until Sunday. That would be fine with me. 6 days is enough anyway.

Anyone who is going to one of the cruise ship islands can expect that they won't. Even slightly elevated seas will cause the tenders to not make the runs.

I was fortunate to go to Coco Cay last week but was told the previous weekend they didn't make it because of rough waters, so the odds are against it.

I would bet a few ships will be making runs to Key West and or Cozumel. Keep alert to your cruise lines websites for updates.

Safe Sailing!

Well just got a call. Disney dream 3 day cruise will be at sea all day Friday and they are not guaranteeing a port stop at all. The only reason I booked them was to go to castaway beach. If the stop will be Nassau short stop Saturday. That is awful. No choice to reschedule reservation. Bad practice.

A group of us are flying into Miami to sail out on NCL Sky on Friday too. First we hope that our 6AM flight from Dulles gets into MIA. Then I'm not sure where the Sky is coming in from, so I hope it docks on time. I called NCL and they said that the Jewel and Pearl had itinerary changes but not the Sky..yet. She said that they would sail around the storm. Really? I asked about the Keys and she mentioned crowded ports and the distance West for such a short cruise that's supposed to be headed East.

Edited by Ampere

We're booked to leave on the Fantasy Saturday 11/27 out of Charleston. Based on the storm's projected path either near the coastline or even turning more easterly on Saturday, it would seem that the Fantasy returning to Charleston by Saturday morning is doubtful unless some scheduling changes are made. Even if she does dock on time Saturday morning, it seems even more doubtful that we will be able to depart Saturday afternoon on the usual southeasterly course to Grand Turk. That would put us right in the middle of the storm. My guess is they'll delay departure until Sunday. That would be fine with me. 6 days is enough anyway.

We're on the same sailing - fortunately, we are driving and will be able to adjust our plans without much difficulty. Unfortunately, it looks like there is a good chance we will miss HMC and can probably expect a revised itinerary. Just get me on the ship and take me somewhere - this is strictly an R&R vacation for us, so I can just chill out and be fine.

Just wondering for the person posting the question if travel insurance would let you cancell.

Not any third party policy I've ever purchased, unless you had "cancel for any reason" coverage, and that will only reimburse you 50-75% of your costs, depending on your policy.

If the ship leaves, even if it misses all the ports, it's not considered a loss and you can't just cancel because of that and expect your insurance to pay for "disappointment".

Not any third party policy I've ever purchased, unless you had "cancel for any reason" coverage, and that will only reimburse you 50-75% of your costs, depending on your policy.

If the ship leaves, even if it misses all the ports, it's not considered a loss and you can't just cancel because of that and expect your insurance to pay for "disappointment".

That makes sence....

The Sensation will be missing Nassau Friday due to port closure and will go to Key West Saturday 7 - 2 p.m. No word yet on Destiny or Imagination.

Happy Sailing,