Is it safe

azlerner

We would like to know if the neighborhood around THeBest Western French Quarter on 920 Rampart St. is safe? Thank you.

I guess that depends on your definition of "Safe".

We go to New Orleans semi-regularly and the area of this hotel isn't the best in the French Quarter. It is right across the street from Louis Armstrong Park which, after dark, can be a bit dicey and does have a criminal element.

When we stay overnight in NOLA, we prefer to be closer to the river and closer to Canal St. We feel this area is more active and has more people around, particularly at night. I am sure that cost plays a role as the farther you get away from the river, the price tends to drop. Check out some of the hotels on the other side of Canal, between St. Charles and the river. They will be technically in the CBD, not the French Quarter, and, as such, may be more affordable.

We would like to know if the neighborhood around THeBest Western French Quarter on 920 Rampart St. is safe? Thank you.

I have been going to New Orleans for over 25 years and have stayed at many hotels. I would never stay there. You can find better.

Is that because of safety or quality of the hotel

I would say safety. I would walk around that area during the day, however at night I would be looking over my shoulder. This is just my opinion. I'm sure there are others that will think different, but I always go with my gut.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey ya'll I live here and understand the advice you're giving, but also remember that the French Quarter (including Rampart St) is the most heavily patroled area probably in the entire southeast US. I park and walk around there regularly at night (my favourite hangout is a couple of blocks away on St Ann) I don't think it's any thing different from being in New York or Chicago. Just be aware of your surroundings, and if you can, take a friend with you.

The Best Western might be a good deal (and it does have gated parking). I can also recommend the Hotel Richelieu a little further down in the quarter. Good location, nice rooms,great security and historically, it used to be part of the Ursuline Convent/Royal French Barracks.

You also might check on priceline name your own price. For about $60 a night you should be able to get a 4 star hotel, though parking will cost another $25 a day if you need it.

• 3 weeks later...

I totally agree with Boca del Verita. I have never felt unsafe or threatened in the FQ or Garden Districts. I routinely walk around at night, by myself or with another woman. There are police everywhere in the FQ.

Just as in any major city, I would not walk around dripping of diamonds or flapping my purse around....be aware of your surroundings and walk with purpose. After dark, make sure you know where you are going and even if you don't-make it look like you do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also would find another location. I will put it this way: There are neighborhoods and streets within 20 blocks of the 900 block of Rampart where I would feel more comfortable walking at night. There may well be clubs near the hotal that add to the number of people on the street and enhance safety at night. But if you go a few blocks over towards the river or a mile or so in the Warehoise District, I think you will feel more comfortable walking at night.

Hey ya'll I live here and understand the advice you're giving, but also remember that the French Quarter (including Rampart St) is the most heavily patroled area probably in the entire southeast US. I park and walk around there regularly at night (my favourite hangout is a couple of blocks away on St Ann) I don't think it's any thing different from being in New York or Chicago. Just be aware of your surroundings, and if you can, take a friend with you.

The Best Western might be a good deal (and it does have gated parking). I can also recommend the Hotel Richelieu a little further down in the quarter. Good location, nice rooms,great security and historically, it used to be part of the Ursuline Convent/Royal French Barracks.

You also might check on priceline name your own price. For about $60 a night you should be able to get a 4 star hotel, though parking will cost another $25 a day if you need it.

I have questions for you, since you live in NO. Where, besides the riverboats, do we go to hear Dixieland? Also, we wanted to see Kermit Ruffians, but the 2 places he performs

don't sound real good: Vaughn's and Bullets can you help us? Thanks.

Cruzin Lady

• 1 month later...

Archived