The MSC cruise website is horrible

smokey haze

The picture links do not work, on a pc or an apple. So I can right click and open them but seriously there are no descriptions. I can buy massage A, B or C but there are no descriptions. The PDF is worse, it has prices but is even less descriptive. What is a magic touch, or a sports massage? I suppose one could guess or book (for more money) on the ship.

Try this link

http://www.cruise.co.uk/images/Cruise//cruise_gallery/1/MSC%2520Aurea%2520Spa%25202073_0.pdf

In the UK it is much cheaper to prebook a package than to buy several treatments onboard. Sports massage is fairly common terminology used in many spas. It's not meant to be relaxing but usually the opposite - meant to deal with sports related injury. Often the description will be the style like Swedish or Balinese.

I've had a lot of the treatments, so can perhaps help you understand what they are like, but hopefully the link will work (it works fine for me using an apple device)

Try this link

http://www.cruise.co.uk/images/Cruise//cruise_gallery/1/MSC%2520Aurea%2520Spa%25202073_0.pdf

In the UK it is much cheaper to prebook a package than to buy several treatments onboard. Sports massage is fairly common terminology used in many spas. It's not meant to be relaxing but usually the opposite - meant to deal with sports related injury. Often the description will be the style like Swedish or Balinese.

I've had a lot of the treatments, so can perhaps help you understand what they are like, but hopefully the link will work (it works fine for me using an apple device)

Thank you. The link did not work. I do have a list of packages available on the Divina Caribbean sailings. They have Bali massage, candle massage, sports massage, magic touch, just to name a few. They also have several facials listed.

That's very strange it doesn't work. Perhaps try googling Aurea spa and you'll find a link that works for you.

Personally I wasn't keen on the candle massage. Whilst it was enjoyable and relaxing duringbthe treatment, I hated the waxy feeling on my skin afterwards. Could not wait to get to my cabin and shower it off. One of my favourites is the Balinese hot stones. The girls will alter the pressure to suit what you like. The Balinese reflexology is good too. Is not your standard reflexology where they only work on your feet but rather a full body massage combined with reflexology.

That's very strange it doesn't work. Perhaps try googling Aurea spa and you'll find a link that works for you.

Personally I wasn't keen on the candle massage. Whilst it was enjoyable and relaxing duringbthe treatment, I hated the waxy feeling on my skin afterwards. Could not wait to get to my cabin and shower it off. One of my favourites is the Balinese hot stones. The girls will alter the pressure to suit what you like. The Balinese reflexology is good too. Is not your standard reflexology where they only work on your feet but rather a full body massage combined with reflexology.

Thank you for the info. The reflexology sounds nice. I called the cruise line yesterday. I was told a candle massage is the same as a Bali except they light a candle, no kidding!!!

Thank you for the info. The reflexology sounds nice. I called the cruise line yesterday. I was told a candle massage is the same as a Bali except they light a candle, no kidding!!!

Hmmm, well yes, but it's a special candle and they use the warm melting wax on your skin. Does make your skin feel soft. I just could not stand the feel of it on me. My favourite packages are the Diamond Orchid and the Platinum Rose. There is also a nice one that has 3 massages, normal Balinese, Balinese reflexology and Balinese hot stones. Not sure what that one is called though

Six of us cruise together and have for many years and have NEVER run across a worse/customer unfriendly website as MSC's. for example when we finally did book and I registered on the site, there was a major picture taking up the screen then right below it, it said "my Dashboard" and it was a clickable item. Every time I would click on it nothing would happen. Once I register and it's attached to my reservation, I should not have to keep putting THE SAME INFORMATION IN AGAIN AND AGAIN, when I log on to get further into my reservation. I figured something wasn't right with the my dashboard so I engaged them in the online chat. The person I was chatting with didn't even know what "My Dashboard" was. He had to go onto the site to see what I was talking about. Then he still didn't know. Finally they called me to tell me that this was for people that had booked online through their website, not through a travel agent....OMG.

All of us were done before we even cruised with them because the website was and still is horrendous and all the problems on this side of the pond. Although I do have to say the cruise was great once we got on.

• 2 weeks later...

I logged into 'My Reservation' today to pay the balance of our forthcoming cruise. I filled in the form with all the card and address details and clicked on the 'submit' button next to the warning not to click it more than once or go back in the browser - just wait. Instead I was taken to a page headed "payment processing" and beneath it, one of MSC's notorious 'Doremi' error messages.

I emailed MSC Direct to tell them what happened and asking that they check to see if the payment went through and, if not, to email me a payment link as they have done before.

30 minutes later I had a phone call from them telling me that they could no longer email payment link and it would have to be done over the telephone. "OK, fine", I said.

I waited on hold for 10 minutes to be put through to the accounts office. For several minutes, the person I spoke to claimed there was no recording of our booking on the system - searching either by booking number or names and departure dates! This slack setup really does not evoke any feeling of confidence in MSC.

"Hold on", she said "I'll try logging out and in again". That did the trick and I was able to pay the balance. What if she hadn't tried logging out and in again?

I note that the MSC website has not been replaced by the end of 2013 as promised by Pierfrancesco Vago:

"In fact, in 2013 our number one priority is to enhance and upgrade all of our online platforms, in particular our consumer websites which we know are not currently performing as they should be in today’s internet driven era. You should understand that we have grown incredibly quickly- building ten new ships over the last ten years- and have focused most of our energy on providing the best possible on board product. We now recognise that technology and our online services should have followed suit and for the past couple of years have been constantly improving our website based on the latest technologies available and on our guests’ feedback." [http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1802651]

Edited by Skipper Tim

I logged into 'My Reservation' today to pay the balance of our forthcoming cruise. I filled in the form with all the card and address details and clicked on the 'submit' button next to the warning not to click it more than once or go back in the browser - just wait. Instead I was taken to a page headed "payment processing" and beneath it, one of MSC's notorious 'Doremi' error messages.

I emailed MSC Direct to tell them what happened and asking that they check to see if the payment went through and, if not, to email me a payment link as they have done before.

30 minutes later I had a phone call from them telling me that they could no longer email payment link and it would have to be done over the telephone. "OK, fine", I said.

I waited on hold for 10 minutes to be put through to the accounts office. For several minutes, the person I spoke to claimed there was no recording of our booking on the system - searching either by booking number or names and departure dates! This slack setup really does not evoke any feeling of confidence in MSC.

"Hold on", she said "I'll try logging out and in again". That did the trick and I was able to pay the balance. What if she hadn't tried logging out and in again?

I note that the MSC website has not been replaced by the end of 2013 as promised by Pierfrancesco Vago:

"In fact, in 2013 our number one priority is to enhance and upgrade all of our online platforms, in particular our consumer websites which we know are not currently performing as they should be in today’s internet driven era. You should understand that we have grown incredibly quickly- building ten new ships over the last ten years- and have focused most of our energy on providing the best possible on board product. We now recognise that technology and our online services should have followed suit and for the past couple of years have been constantly improving our website based on the latest technologies available and on our guests’ feedback." [http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1802651]

Mr Vago did promise us that back in March. I think he thinks he's delivered with the apparently improved travel agent section.

• 1 month later...

Mr Pierfrancesco Vago, then CEO, now Executive Chairman, of MSc Cruises, said in the Cruise Critic Q&A session of March 19th 2013:

"I can assure you that in 2013, we will be able to offer a completely reviewed and revitalized website that will not only perform better, but will put your needs as a traveller at the centre of the experience.

"As testament to the fact that we have really been pushing our online services over the past few years, MSC Cruises was in fact recently recognized as offering the best global website in the cruise line category in a report, “The Best Global Websites for Travel and Hospitality 2013” by Lionbridge."

Comments?

Mr Pierfrancesco Vago, then CEO, now Executive Chairman, of MSc Cruises, said in the Cruise Critic Q&A session of March 19th 2013:

"I can assure you that in 2013, we will be able to offer a completely reviewed and revitalized website that will not only perform better, but will put your needs as a traveller at the centre of the experience.

"As testament to the fact that we have really been pushing our online services over the past few years, MSC Cruises was in fact recently recognized as offering the best global website in the cruise line category in a report, “The Best Global Websites for Travel and Hospitality 2013” by Lionbridge."

Comments?

Pretty difficult to comment and stay within CC's guidelines for posting!

It was a nightmare, it is still a nightmare. I see no evidence of this overhaul. How they can be nominated for the best global website defies logic. I used to think it was just the UK version that was flaky at best, but seems our cousins across the pond have the same or similar issues.

That said, I've not seen that noting little DOREMI server error for a while.......

Does MSC have a program like Carnival,,,,

I booked a cruise on Carnival about 5 months out, Carnival lowered the price for my cabin category by $100. per person, about 100 days before our cruise, so I called our TA and he got me the lower price because it was before the 90 full payment date. I asked him what would Carnival do if it had been under 90 days, and I already had made full payment, he said Carnival would have given me the difference in on board credit!

Does MSC have this low price guarantee?

Edited by Russian Bear

I have only heard of this type of behaviour in the U.S.. Elsewhere the price agreed is fixed at the time of booking. If fares drop drastically, you can cancel with loss of deposit (£100 = $164 per person with MSC in the UK) or worse depending how near to sailing, and rebook at the lower rate. You would have to ask MSC USA for their policy.

Some cruise lines have recently offered minimum price guarantees for early bookers but in practice this just keeps the last minute fares uncompetitively high.

I have no idea how the expectation of no loss of deposit for cancellation came about in the U.S.. Once this is in place then the line is obliged to match later lower fares. Here, the deposit is the very minimum you lose. There is usually a chart of cancellation charges in addition to the deposit.

Does MSC have a program like Carnival,,,,

I booked a cruise on Carnival about 5 months out, Carnival lowered the price for my cabin category by $100. per person, about 100 days before our cruise, so I called our TA and he got me the lower price because it was before the 90 full payment date. I asked him what would Carnival do if it had been under 90 days, and I already had made full payment, he said Carnival would have given me the difference in on board credit!

Does MSC have this low price guarantee?

This is only if you had booked "Early Saver". If you book the regular rates you would not be given the difference in OBC.

Early saver has the drawback in that if you cancel at any time there is a $50 penalty and the deposit is not refunded but put towards a future booking within two years.

I have only heard of this type of behaviour in the U.S.. Elsewhere the price agreed is fixed at the time of booking. If fares drop drastically, you can cancel with loss of deposit (£100 = $164 per person with MSC in the UK) or worse depending how near to sailing, and rebook at the lower rate. You would have to ask MSC USA for their policy.

In the USA one can cancel any time up to final payment with complete refund of deposit.(Except as mentioned Earl Saver on Carnival ). After final payment there are of course stiff penalties. Consequently prices do not drop until after final payment.

This is only if you had booked "Early Saver". If you book the regular rates you would not be given the difference in OBC.

Early saver has the drawback in that if you cancel at any time there is a $50 penalty and the deposit is not refunded but put towards a future booking within two years.

In the USA one can cancel any time up to final payment with complete refund of deposit.(Except as mentioned Earl Saver on Carnival ). After final payment there are of course stiff penalties. Consequently prices do not drop until after final payment.

Correct.

I was told by my TA that Carnival would give on board credit if you've already paid in full, and are past the final payment due.

The current MSC system you all mention (IMHO) will most likely have to change in America if MSC wishes to compete with an established cruise industry.

• 4 months later...

Well I thought the website could not get any worse but oh yes it has, you go to the "my msc area" put in the cruise reference, name, date of sailing only to be told you booked with a travel agent so go back to them ... :mad:

MSC when are you ever going to get the Left hand and the Right hand to talk to each other ? so much for promises of a better website from Vago and others... Clueless.

Well I thought the website could not get any worse but oh yes it has, you go to the "my msc area" put in the cruise reference, name, date of sailing only to be told you booked with a travel agent so go back to them ... :mad:

MSC when are you ever going to get the Left hand and the Right hand to talk to each other ? so much for promises of a better website from Vago and others... Clueless.

Agree with you Sidari. I have 4 sailings booked and the only one I can access is the sailing I booked through the website, the other three have been booked directly with MSC USA. Even though I like talking to my PVC,,I just think it would be easier if I could have access to all of my bookings to check balances and make payments without having to call my PVC to do so.

Mike ... What is ridiculous is not being able to access the details as you say, the website is still running in the dark ages and by candlelight it seems! if i log onto my Captains Circle area with Princess i can see exactly what i booked regardless of who it was booked it with.

Being able to access bookings made via a TA on the MSC website was a very specific promise made by Pierfrancesco Vago, chairman of MSC Cruises, to be fulfilled by the end of 2013.

The promised new website never arrived. The old one continues to get worse with increasingly unpredictable errors. No one has yet grasped the problem.

Close the in-house IT department and farm out the operation to professionals!

Once again we are not allowed to book Tours or Drink packages via the website for the Venice to Dubai cruise! what does it take for goodness sake to make them available to everyone regardless of who you have booked with!

Seem slike MSC also want to stop onboard spend thus preventing you getting more club points!

When will the promised upgrade/ New website promised by Vago appear ? will it ever appear ... :rolleyes:

Edited by sidari