Has Anyone Ever Used Transderm Scop??

LiLBxQt

I just got a prescription from the doctor, but I was wondering if anyone has personally felt any effects off of them. Also, has anyone had any problems with drinking alcohol while wearing this patch? My dr. said it would only enhance the drunk feeling, which i consider a great side effect. Less $ to use on drinks!!! LOL jk icon_biggrin.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;23;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

UnTiL BeRmUdA!!!

I used the patch on my first cruise and by the third day I could not tolerate the side effects particularly the cotton dry mouth (worse than any hangover I've ever had) and EXTREME vision problems and drowsiness. My husband had the blurred vision too. We took them off and after about 36 hours the side effects dissipated. Be very careful if you use this patch and drink as you are increasing your risk of a fall and of course renting a car in port would be a bad idea. Have you tried ginger root capsules or the wrist bands? Both effective for some people they could be used together and neither have side effects. Alternatively, Bonine and Dramamine II are effective and notably their most common side effect is some drowsiness they are both available OTC.

Melissa

I have used "the patch" on several occasions. I remember the slight cotton mouth feeling, and also experienced some close-up blurred vision.I did not get the least bit seasick,and plan on using them again if necessary. During the last cruise that I took two years ago, I did not use the patch. I think that for a while it was not available. I did not get sick, so who knows? perhaps I didn't need it after all. I am taking a med cruise this summer and I think that I will start off wearing it, and if there is little or no motion, take it off and see what happens. Laura

I had been on 3 cruises in the Caribbean and we had had perfect weather/seas for each cruise.I get motion sick pretty easily and was relieved that I didn't get sick on any of those sailings. Well, on our 4th cruise we were staying just ahead of a hurricane and the ship experienced a lot of movement. Of course I hadn't brought anything to combat the motion sickness because of my previous experiences.

Friends we met on board shared their Scopolomine patches with us. They advised to just put 1/2 of a patch on. It worked like a charm. My 14 y/o son and I had no problems, except for a little dry mouth. I highly recommend them. (Of course everyone reacts a little differently to medications) For me, feeling nauseous and dizzy are much worse than a little dry mouth! Just drink more water!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;06;06;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

June 6-Golden

I have used the patch on every cruise (six) and the only effects that I have had has been dry mouth. I have heard from other people about blurred vision etc so everyone has to make up their own mind whether to use it or not. I am very prone to sea sickness so I take the patch so I do not get sick. As for drinking alcohol 99% of the time I do not drink but once in a great while I will have a glass of wine. I just do not abuse that fact. But each person is different.

Marilyn

I have used the patch on most of my cruises and have experienced all the aforementioned side effects. In order to avoid blurry vision make sure you wash your hands well with soap after applying and touching the patch. The only side effect I feel now is dry mouth.

As far as drinking alcohol, "YA Man, NO Problem".

Nordic Prince

Song of America

Sovereigns of the Seas

Song of America

Ecstasy

Millennium

Grand Princess

Majesty of the seas

Thanks everyone for all the replies!!! I think I'm going to go ahead and use it. I mean, I alreday have them in my possession so why not try it. Better safe than sorry! icon_smile.gif

Hey, if I start feeling someything weird off of them, I can always take it off, and not use it anymore icon_cool.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;23;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

UnTiL BeRmUdA!!!

Can you tell me how much they cost?

Also, is there a limit to # of days they are effective (we have a 12 day cruise)?

Do they recommend putting on day ahead, or same day you sail?

Thanks!

Tina

Mom of One,

They last up to 72 hrs. Unlike Dramamine, the Scopolomine gets into your system pretty quickly, but it wouldn't hurt to put them on the morning of your cruise, especially if you are really prone to motion sickness. I think you'll be surprised how stable the ships are, you really don't feel a lot of movement.

As I noted in my post above we were outrunning a hurricane at the end of our cruise and I started feeling a little queasy. I put on 1/2 a patch, slept for a couple of hours and when I woke up I felt a lot better.

Also, motion sickness has to do with overstimuation of your senses ie: loud noises, unusual smells, motion, and dehyration.

Some of the solutions I have been given include: eat high protein meals because when your bloodsugar drops it can add to the overstimuation, stay hydrated, and if you are sitting in a car, plane or small boat and you get queasy stay focused on the horizon and slowly breathe in thru your nose and out through your mouth.

Hope that helps.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;06;06;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

June 6-Golden

Yes, it works but it can be very dangerous.

Here are a couple of things that might be of interest........

scopolamine [skOpol'umEn, –min]

Pronunciation Key

scopolamine or hyoscine [hI'usEn", –sin] , alkaloid drug obtained from plants of the nightshade family (Solanaceae), chiefly from henbane, Hyoscyamus niger. Structurally similar to the nerve substance acetylcholine, scopolamine acts by interfering with the transmission of nerve impulses by acetylcholine in the parasympathetic nervous system and produces symptoms typical of parasympathetic system depression: dilated pupils, rapid heartbeat, and dry skin, mouth, and respiratory passages. Because scopolamine depresses the central nervous system, it is used as a sedative prior to anesthesia and as an antispasmodic in certain disorders characterized by restlessness and agitation, e.g., delirium tremens, psychosis, mania, and Parkinsonism. When combined with morphine, the effect produced is a tranquilized state known as twilight sleep; this combination of drugs was formerly used in obstetrics but is now considered too dangerous. Overdosage of scopolamine causes delirium, delusions, paralysis, and stupor. The alkaloid is found in a variety of nonprescription sedatives.

AND.....

The other uses of Scopolamine.

-------------------------

Barbados, one happy island, mon flag.JPG

Having been on 19 cruises I have tried everything but the patch which my Dr. would not let me use. He said they were TOO STRONG and could affect different parts of the body that did not need attention. So he recommended a compounded cream which you get a prescription from thte Dr. It is PART scopolamine(the patch) but cut down with other stabilizing ingredients. I never found ANYTHING that would work on my motion sickness until I found these. They are tailor made to your weight, agee and days on the ship. You use it every eight hours and apply it to your wrists. I have been able to drink with no effects. Hope it helps.

barbados, Are you a Physician??? And telling us all about the dangerous affects???

Has anyone heard of SCOPACE? It is the same thing as the patch but in pill form.... Here is there web site..... http://scopace.com/prescrib.html.... check it out and tell your doctor to order it for you. You can regulate the amount of scopolamine that goes into your system and will only last 6-8 hours.....

icon_beer.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;11;14;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

UNTIL OUR NEXT ADVENTURE

Adventure of The Seas 11/14/04

Enchantment of the Seas 11/1/03

Sovereign of the Seas 11/28/02

SS Oceanic (Big Red Boat) 10/98

"barbados, Are you a Physician???"

No, a Pharmacist

"And telling us all about the dangerous affects???"

Yes.

Did you learn at least one thing that you didn't know from my post?

If you did, I guess it was valuable, yes?

-------------------------

Barbados, one happy island, mon flag.JPG

[This message was edited by barbados on 05-15-04 at 06:35 PM.]

[This message was edited by barbados on 05-15-04 at 06:36 PM.]

barbados,

In my opinion you are doing the right thing by leting us know how strong and powerful the scopolamine patch can be. Many people ignore the side effects untill it is almost too late. I and wife used the 'patch' few years ago and some of the side effects especially for her were prety bad.

Strange thing: many people on the ships are wearing the patch and do not seem to have any 'problems' but I have not found any medical personnel on any ship that is recommending them.......I wonder why not?

Wes

As I said earlier, they worked for me. But I remember an interesting story regarding the usage of the patch. Years ago, when my elderly aunt used the patch on a trip to Capri, she suddenly started telling everyone how dirty the bathrooms in Italy were (we are Italian/Americans). She lost all inhibitions as she ranted in Italian and English about the poor condition of the country. I think that there is some chemical in the patch that on rare occasions might cause one to lose some control. We all look back at it and laugh now, but at the time we were concerned about her. Laura

It was not the patch it was the wine, poor aunt.

Nordic Prince, 82

Song of America, 89

Sovereigns of the Seas, 92

Song of America, 94

Ecstasy, 94

Millennium, 02

Grand Princess, 03

Majesty of the seas, 04

Archived