"LIVE" from Freedom of the Seas / Nov 4, 2012

Radio

Sweet indeed!! I have heard of it, but never seen it until now. I Googled it and the one Radio took is the only one! They need to put this into full mode with some additional routes across the country!!!

I think the mid-Atlantic to Florida route is the only one that can be even close to economically viable. Remember, Amtrak gets about $1 Billion (with a "B") per year in Federal subsidies as it is, the unique passenger demographic for this Florida route is probably the reason that the Autotrain works, but only for this route. Rental cars are too cheap for the Autotrain idea to work elsewhere, it's the senior citizens who are traveling for longer visits between home and Florida that allows it to work, since they wouldn't want to rent cars for weeks at a time while visiting.

Radio takes advantage of it, because he hates to fly, the Autotrain is non-stop, so quite a bit faster than the "regular" train on the same route, and they won't let you ride it unless you're also taking a car! :)

Theron

Good morning Mark.. hope you set your clock back so as not to report too early... lol beautiful morning down here and looks like a lovely day to set sail... The disney Dream, carnival Sensation and a mighty big boat are all tied up and almost ready to recieve...

Hope embarkation goes quickly and smoothly and we start seeing your reports and photos as soon as you are settled.

have a great first day

your ole pal

Radio - I'm getting ready to go. Will do a pick up at Four Points, a car drop off, and then off to the pier to meet others. Looks like a great day for sailaway!!

Did you see the ship dock this morning? I had good intentions of doing that, but ....they ended up being only intentions. See you later.

Enjoying a.yummy Americano.from starbucks....and awaiting time to go to the.pier.....

Beautiful day for sail away!! Had a nice time with fellow CCers last night....

Awesome photos Radio! KSC looks like it.was a lot of fun.....this will be a great way to revlive the cruise.

And..while I have not ridden Auto Train...i will say this...long distance.rail trips....especially in sleepers....are wonderful....some day I will try Auto Train....

See everyone on the ship!!

Sent from my Samsung Charge via Tapatalk

Hello everyone. . . Welcome to Day 1 of “LIVE” from Freedom of the Seas.

I woke up very early this morning. . . (I think I always do), and decided to drive up to the pier to watch Freedom sail in.

I was able to get an image of her as she docked at Terminal 10. . .Disney Dream was coming in just behind her.

On the way back I had to stop at Starbucks (At Four Points Sheraton) to enjoy a delicious coffee that made me very happy.

I walked up briefly to the beach (2 blocks) and was happy to see the beautiful blue water, and magnificent sunrise.

I like the fact that I can actually see the ship from the Hampton Inn and Suites hotel. . .

I had to go up to the 8th floor, but you are able to see all of the ships in Port Canaveral. I had to zoom a bit,

but seeing the ships put a big smile on my face.

I plan on leaving here at around 10:30, and going directly to the pier. I think that the check in time was around 11AM,

and I will be ready to board as soon as I can. Our sail away time is scheduled for 5 PM, and I will have many pics of or

sail away later on.

I guess it is time to pack, so I will see everyone next from onboard the beautiful Freedom of the Seas. . . .

Here are a few pics from this morning.

Thanks for all of the nice comments, and Thanks for tuning in.

Radio

Early morning image of Freedom of the Seas at Terminal 10

SU4.jpg

I am very happy that there is a Starbucks nearby

SU5.jpg

This is the view from the 8th Floor of Hampton Inn and Suites

SU8.JPG

The sun graces the beaches of Cocoa Beach

SU3.jpg

An aerial view of Port Canaveral and Freedom of the Seas

SU6.jpg

Image Courtesy of Port Canaveral

Our Itinerary for this voyage

ITINFR.JPG

This is a shout out to Radio and all our "almost" fellow cruisers.

We were booked to be on this sailing with you all but God had other plans for us as my dear husband had to have emergency bypass heart surgery just a few weeks ago.

We are excited that we will be able to follow along with you guys, thanks to Radio, as my husband recovers.

Have a cool one for us and good luck on the slot pull.

Wishing you smooth sailings!

Until next time......

Sherry and Johnny from Texas

Radio--Thanks for your live posting. I do not have a cruise scheduled for 6 months. :( I will have to get my cruise fix from you.

I was interested to see the terminal for the auto train. We rode it several years ago with our children and In-laws. Our car was out with the first group of cars and we said , Woo Hoo!! The in-laws was the third from the end:rolleyes:. It was about 10:15am. The last car out got a fruit basket as a consolation prize. We waited in the hot son for their car--so a terminal would have been nice.

Enjoying a.yummy Americano.from starbucks....and awaiting time to go to the.pier.....

Beautiful day for sail away!! Had a nice time with fellow CCers last night....

Awesome photos Radio! KSC looks like it.was a lot of fun.....this will be a great way to revlive the cruise.

And..while I have not ridden Auto Train...i will say this...long distance.rail trips....especially in sleepers....are wonderful....some day I will try Auto Train....

See everyone on the ship!!

Sent from my Samsung Charge via Tapatalk

Have a wonderful time with all the buds Meg!!! Can't wait to hear the stories and see the pics.....

An aerial view of Port Canaveral and Freedom of the Seas

SU6.jpg

Image Courtesy of Port Canaveral

I hate to be this person, but that is the Mariner of the Seas. There are now canti-levered whirlpools and has no flowrider. Anyway, have a great time aboard!!

I think the mid-Atlantic to Florida route is the only one that can be even close to economically viable. Remember, Amtrak gets about $1 Billion (with a "B") per year in Federal subsidies as it is, the unique passenger demographic for this Florida route is probably the reason that the Autotrain works, but only for this route. Rental cars are too cheap for the Autotrain idea to work elsewhere, it's the senior citizens who are traveling for longer visits between home and Florida that allows it to work, since they wouldn't want to rent cars for weeks at a time while visiting.

Radio takes advantage of it, because he hates to fly, the Autotrain is non-stop, so quite a bit faster than the "regular" train on the same route, and they won't let you ride it unless you're also taking a car! :)

Theron

Theron, you are the voice of reason! Of course it would never work in other parts of the country.....but still would be nice since if it did and we would book it to go from AZ to Chicago in a heart beat!

Thanks for your info, even if it did burst my bubble! :D ;)

This is a shout out to Radio and all our "almost" fellow cruisers.

We were booked to be on this sailing with you all but God had other plans for us as my dear husband had to have emergency bypass heart surgery just a few weeks ago.

We are excited that we will be able to follow along with you guys, thanks to Radio, as my husband recovers.

Have a cool one for us and good luck on the slot pull.

Wishing you smooth sailings!

Until next time......

Sherry and Johnny from Texas

So sorry to hear this. I hope your husband is recovering well and they you both can enjoy the cruise through Radios posts!

Archived